Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   Towing and Hauling / RV (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/towing-hauling-rv-95/)
-   -   Need some help with new truck. (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/towing-hauling-rv-95/need-some-help-new-truck-18694/)

10-04-2002 12:04 AM

Need some help with new truck.

I need advice with setting up my truck for 5th wheeling. Need to use it for travel on/off road also.<br>Thanks

Buck Bandacoot 10-04-2002 04:20 PM

Re:Need some help with new truck.

Hey Phil welcome aboard! My best sugestion is to go with the rail mounted 5th wheel plate by Hi-Jacker, and if your going off road with your trailer get a 4-way pivoting hitch aka &quot;dual axis&quot; hitch to handle the left and right downward pressure and torque that the trailer will create. Hope the info helps. Good luck! 8)BUCK 8)

pwabbott 10-04-2002 08:30 PM

Phil, since you have a short bed you will need a slider hitch as well , a 4 way pivot is a must unless you always stay in RV parks with level sites. Reese and Draw-Tite have a good slider, 4-way pivot with about a 9&quot; slide. You need a 12&quot; extended pin box on the 5er. Valley Industries/ Husky have a good slider, 4-way pivot with a 12&quot; plus slide Again you will need the extended pin box on the 5er when using these hitches.

Without a slider and extended pin box you will be severely limited in how sharp you can turn in parking and manuvering. The slider, extended pin box combo will let you turn at an angle of 80 plus degrees without the 5er hitting the truck cab and causing major damage.

Pull-Rite has an automatic slider you might want to look at if money is no object. ;D ;D

You will also need to install a brake controller. Both Prodigy and Jordan have proportional braking and are top of the line in performance, don't go with an entry level controller as your personal safety is at stake. Check this forum as there are many post in argument of the merits of each.
8) 8)

From Phil to Phil, Welcome to this site. [laugh]

10-06-2002 11:31 PM

Thanks guys<br>I just got a new Pullrite SuperGlide 16k. I need to do something with my stock shocks, am thinking bilstiens or Rancho 9000x's. Need to make up my mind concerning a spray insert, Rino, Line-x etc.

pwabbott 10-07-2002 12:05 AM

Phil to Phil, I plan on having mine sprayed by Line-X. It is a hot spray which sets up almost instantly, is more restant to abrasion than Rhino. Rhino is cold emulsion which sets tack-free in a matter of minutes, when fully set is softer than Line-X.<br><br>Both have Limited Lifetime Warranty. Both can be easily repaired.<br><br>Choice is personal preference as both are polyurethane coatings. (The paint on your truck is a polyurethane paint, or a member of the plastic family.) :)

webrazor 10-09-2002 04:30 PM

::)My 2003 Dodge Ram was equipped with standard power, heated side mirrors. I really wanted the new flip-up tow mirrors but it just wasn't available in the truck I found. I have not gotten a straight answer from Dodge, the dealers, or anyone else about whether I can upgrade to the new flip-up power, heated mirrors.<br><br>Anyone out there know?

CMN_NOT_STROKN 10-09-2002 05:18 PM

Yes you can upgrade to them. Check out:<br><br>www.mydodgeparts.com<br><br>I believe that they have them there.

pwabbott 10-09-2002 10:43 PM

:)Webrazor, I am also sure you can upgrade to flip-out tow mirrors. To have the remote control mirrors would require wiring and a remote control switch for armrest. The mirrors are available, sooner or later someone will have the misfortune of ripping one off in an accident ant will need one replaced. Body shops make vehicles our to parts. Availability at present may be a problem as with any new model. <br><br>I sure love mine. Leaving tomorrow with my 5er. [laugh] [laugh]

10-11-2002 11:05 AM

Does anyone know if the Bilstien numbers are right for the 2002's?, the Rancho numbers are wrong can you believe it. Where do I get the best price for the Jacobs ebrake? How about those Okole seat covers?<br>thanks<br>Phil

pwabbott 11-20-2002 01:07 AM

Webrazor, they are available as an aftermarket accessory. You can purchase them through parts department at dealer. Hunter had his changed. He ordered the towing mirrors to be factory installed, it came in with the standard ones. His dealer changed them. Don't dispair. They are really neat.

webrazor 11-20-2002 04:51 PM

Thanks . . . I appreciate it. I had checked with my Dodge dealer a few weeks ago and found out they could be bought. However, the price was sorta steep in the several hundred dollar range I recall.<br><br>I have towed my new Sunnybrook with standard mirrors without much problem. Maybe on the interstate the big mirrors would be a nice addition. Since I am heading to the coast this weekend I will check out the interstate driving.<br><br>I also made a custom decal . . . actually added &quot;DIESEL&quot; in vertical text beside the Cummins logo and had it made in silver to match the silver paint on my two tone Black truck. It looks neat on the rear window and now people know I am driving a diesel ---- cause you can't tell hardly by listening to it!! : )<br><br>