Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

Pin Catcher for 5th Wheel Hitches

Old 11-10-2002, 07:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pin Catcher for 5th Wheel Hitches

Anyone have any experience with a pin catcher for 5th wheel hitches? I have installed one on my hitch. It appears be capable of catching the 5th wheel pin if it is accidently released while the jacks are up. This happened to me once and I've never forgot the damage that it can cause. I don't see that it will hurt anything, but it sure may help!<br><br>Ronster
Old 11-11-2002, 07:45 AM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re:Pin Catcher for 5th Wheel Hitches

Welcome to the site ronster,<br> That sounds like a neat idea. I've never seen or heard of one before. Have you got any pictures or a website for info. I have alwys feared the kind of damage that would be caused if the pin wasn't latched.
Old 11-11-2002, 05:54 PM

Saw the aftermath of &quot;one that got away&quot; at a campsite in Texas last summer. Wife and hubby argued constantly while hooking up to go home - 100+ degrees that day. Anyway - to get to the chase - couple eventually get hooked up and started dragging it up a hill when it slid off the hitch and rolled back - only 3 feet or so before the brake sw engaged - ladder punched a nice hole in a new Chevy half-ton radiator. That's when I showed up - helped the 5vr driver hook back up. Everyone was yelling! The chevy driver was following way too close IMO, the 5vr family obviously screwed up (BTW - TV antenna was up), and I decided to hide my smirks until the Park Patrol showed up. <br><br>ANY HEW - how does this catcher work?
Old 11-11-2002, 06:40 PM

Dennis<br><br>Here's a link for a pin catcher. The pictures are not very good but you can get the idea.<br><br>http://rvstuff.net/Pin%20Catcher.html <br><br>Dan
Old 11-11-2002, 06:48 PM
Proprietor of Fiver's Inn and Hospitality Center

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Reese has a new hitch indicator for their hitches. It can be seen from the rear window and I think probably from the rear view mirror. Gives a visual indication if the hitch is properly closed. Cost is about $50. Just ordered one today with my new hitch. <br><br>Bob
Old 11-11-2002, 07:19 PM

Gang, I'll try to get some pics tomorrow for anyone interested in seeing it installed. I know the url pics aren't very detailed. The concept is the pin catcher in located just to the rear and down from the hitch pin plate. The middle of the pin catcher is designed to funnel the runaway pin to the center of the catcher. The pin collar of the trailer is then sandwiched between two pieces of plate steel. The bottom plate is solid and the top is just large enough to allow the pin above the collar to slide in. The collar stops the trailer in the catcher. I'm not anxious to see it work, but the concept appears to be sound. If you are interested in seeing more detail, please let me know. Also, I have no financial interest in this device. I just want the extra protection.<br><br>Ronster
Old 11-14-2002, 06:25 PM

Stange this is posted now. Came home from work to go to the Atlanta race, in a hurry, back under my fiver with my Lil'rocker. Now as most of you know the rocker has a handle that rotates down when the latch is in place. The pin hit anvil with a knock, the handle rotated down so I was ready to go. Raised the jackes in front and started to roll off. After about 2 feet there was a very loud &quot;bam&quot;, the truck shook and looking in the mirrow I saw the fiver down on the bed rails. Yep. It really does put the little V in there. Was it not hitched? I don't know. Did it come lose? I don't know that either. The only thing harmed was the bed of my &quot;sweetie&quot;.<br><br> NOW I SEE THIS THINGIE THAT HOLDS THE PIN. ****<br><br>I got a jack and a rubber mallet and did the best I could. Before I get this thing fixed I will build me a tow bed. $1200 for a take off bed. Probably not.<br><br> Check that latch Y'all.<br><br>..Preston..
Old 11-14-2002, 10:58 PM

Fiver, when I purchased my Reese hitch last March the indicator was in the package with the hitch head. Bought mine at Camping World. Presidents Club 10% plus a coupon for one item 10% off.<br>Packages were sealed. Hitch indicator was part of the deal, a real steal.
Old 11-16-2002, 11:00 AM
Top's Younger Twin

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

I'm having a flashback about this.<br><br>I back up to the 5er, ask the wife [now the ex] &quot;Are the jaws open on the hitch?&quot; She says...&quot;Yeh.&quot; I said, &quot;Sure?&quot;<br>She glares at me.<br>I back up and tap the pin and guess what...the 5er slips off the blocks it was on and slams down on the bed rails. I get out and look...Jaws are closed. :'( She walks away.<br>I get the trailer up and I start to jack the bed rails up and get them as straight as possible. :'(<br>I really did not know what to say without blowing a gasket.<br>I got to pay for the damage in more ways then one.<br><br> :-X<br><br>Lesson learned.
Old 11-16-2002, 05:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[quote author=turbo thom link=board=11;threadid=6875;start=0#66922 date=1037319924]<br> Stange this is posted now. Came home from work to go to the Atlanta race, in a hurry, back under my fiver with my Lil'rocker. Now as most of you know the rocker has a handle that rotates down when the latch is in place. The pin hit anvil with a knock, the handle rotated down so I was ready to go. Raised the jackes in front and started to roll off. After about 2 feet there was a very loud &quot;bam&quot;, the truck shook and looking in the mirrow I saw the fiver down on the bed rails. Yep. It really does put the little V in there. Was it not hitched? I don't know. Did it come lose? I don't know that either. The only thing harmed was the bed of my &quot;sweetie&quot;.<br><br> NOW I SEE THIS THINGIE THAT HOLDS THE PIN. ****<br><br>I got a jack and a rubber mallet and did the best I could. Before I get this thing fixed I will build me a tow bed. $1200 for a take off bed. Probably not.<br><br> Check that latch Y'all.<br><br>..Preston..<br>[/quote]<br><br>Preston you are in Georgia.... I have a clean 2500 bed we could make a deal on, add your fenders and you will be back in business. It has diamond plate top rails, spray in liner and does have the holes for a gooseneck. It's blood red. You pick it up and we could go for $700 or so.
Old 11-18-2002, 06:21 AM

I have added pictures of my installed pincatcher in the album &quot;Pin Catcher for 5ver's&quot;. I hope this helps with any questions y'all may have. Also, I am NOT endorsing the functionality of these devices! I am just suggesting an alternative. <br><br>ronster
Old 11-18-2002, 08:35 AM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Really great pictures Ronster,<br> It really looks like it would do the trick! Have you tried to lower the 5er pin onto the catcher just to see how much clearance you would have left if it did have to catch it or have you measured it?<br> Just looking at your pictures,,,,, I am pretty sure that this would work great on my rig as well. I have quite a bit of clearance between the 5er and the top of my bed, so I'm almost positive this will work on mine. I'm going to show your pics to my Dad also. He and Mom tow a 30' Cougar with a LB 2000 V-10 Ram and I think he would really like one of these. <br> Thanks again for posting the pics! ;D
Old 11-18-2002, 04:38 PM

&quot;It appears be capable of catching the 5th wheel pin if it is accidently released while the jacks are up.&quot;

Well, Ronster, &quot;If anything can go wrong, it will&quot;. - Murphys Law :
Old 11-18-2002, 07:21 PM

I measured the distance from the inside of the bottom plate on the pin catcher to a level plane out from my hitch plate. The distance is 5.25&quot;. This would be the maximum distance that the trailer could move down before contacting the catcher. I know there should be much more than 5.25&quot; between the trailer bottom and the bedrails for most rigs, so this should work fine. I am going to make time to get down to my trailer and check this by lowering the pin onto the catcher. I'll try to get some pics if you folks would like to see.<br><br>ronster
Old 11-18-2002, 07:32 PM

Ronster: I'm about to install a 5vr hitch on the wife's truck. She remember's the aftermath of last summer's accident and just looked at your pictures. She and I would love to see the &quot;lowered&quot; pictures. I'm going to visit Longhorn Trailer and Hitch in Wichita Falls Tx this week for the hitch install prior to next weeks Thanksgiving run. I plan to add the insurance (catcher) to her truck. And sure, I understand....&quot;past performance is no guarantee.......&quot; ;D

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Pin Catcher for 5th Wheel Hitches