Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   Towing and Hauling / RV (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/towing-hauling-rv-95/)
-   -   Is my trailer brake controller any good? Q's? (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/towing-hauling-rv-95/my-trailer-brake-controller-any-good-qs-18342/)

PADZZ 03-16-2003 11:00 AM

Is my trailer brake controller any good? Q's?

When I bought my trailer I had them 'throw-in' a brake controller. It's a Reese BRAKEMAN Compact. I pull about 9K lbs 1-2 imes a month max. I know it's a cheaper unit, and it seems to work; even though it's a pain to adjust it just to my liking....real sensitive. Anyway, are there any better options out there? Since I don't have, and likely never will ($$$$) have, an exhaust brake-47RE..........I do pull in the Rockies here in Utah occasionally. Just wondering if what they threw in is a POS ::)

Ramflasher 03-16-2003 03:00 PM

Re:Is my trailer brake controller any good? Q's?

Reese makes some good products. I doubt that they would risk their name with a true POS.<br><br>Are there better ones? I don't know, because I am not familar with that controller. However, a lot of people prefer the Jordan Ultima or the Tekonsha Prodigy.

FiverBob 03-16-2003 03:02 PM

Do yourself a favor and go buy a Jordan or a Prodigy. I prefer the Jordan, but both are good units. I've used both and the Jordan feels just like the brakes on the truck. Too dangerous not having that big thing back there under control.<br><br>Bob

Ol Chaps 03-17-2003 03:28 PM

PADZZ - I installed a 2100 ACTUATOR and also my son has had one on his rig for several years towing a 4 horse trailer. One nice thing about it is that it is small and there isn't a mounting bracket. Attaches with screws through the controller it self. Measures 3 1/4&quot; wide, 2 5/8&quot; long and <br>1 1/4&quot; thick. It fits very nicely next to the ash tray. (measurements may be off a bit as I didn't have my glasses on) I'm not familiar with BRAKEMAN.

tool 03-18-2003 09:47 AM

Padzz;<br><br>I have used a couple of those Reese actuators. I'm not sure if they were a &quot;brakeman&quot; model or not though. ???<br><br>They are not nearly as sophisticated as some of these other units talked about. But they do function okay. Give it a try and see what you think. I find they do tend to be a tick &quot;grabby&quot; but that is partly the nature of electric brakes. I also used a Tekonsha unit for a while, it performed fine but burnt out or &quot;died&quot; relatively soon.<br><br>One of those Reese units will work your brakes if nothing else. Give it a try and see what you think. If you don't like it, try the Prodigy or similar.<br>