Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

Air lifts, Super Duty Bags

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2003, 07:30 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Air lifts, Super Duty Bags

I had been running Air Lifts smaller helper bags for about 3-4 years, and always liked the ride on the highway. I only had a problem with side streets and larger bumps. The overload springs sat about 3/4"-1" off the stops, and anything more then a large expansion joint, and when the suspension traveled, bam the overload would smack there stops and make for a rough ride. Anyway I got tired of this, and read What another fellow did, and thought it made sence. He removed the overload spring pack, and add a Air Lift Super Duty Bag set. So I thought why not? I basicly did the same , It is pretty stright forward. BY removing the overloads there is plenty of room to mount the new bags centered on the axle. Now there is also much more room for the suspension to travel, and no slapping of the overloads, and spilling of your coffee. The new bags are rated at 5000lbs, so no worry about loosing load capacity. Since I already had an on board compressor, tank and all the control in place, It was a quick install. The new bags are huge, and very, very thick. They make my old ones look pathetic. I would think anyone that wanted a nicer, less bumppy ride should give this some thought.
Old 10-24-2003, 08:00 PM

Re:Air lifts, Super Duty Bags

It's funny, My truck had them on when I bought it. When I had my 10' slide-in on I only needed about 35 psi tyo ride good. With my 5er I found that even with 15 psi in them the ride was terrible. If I dropped all the air out with the 5er then the ride was greatly improved. When I drove big trucks air ride was the best ride. Anybody else have the same experience?
Tom
Old 10-27-2003, 07:59 AM

For what it's worth, I've got them attached to the overload springs on the back of my 3500. I run 25-30 lbs. in them unloaded, and 50 lbs. loaded or towing a 30 foot trailer. Ride's good, loaded or unloaded, a bit stiff, but lots of control. They keep the back even with the front, which has a leveler kit.
Old 10-27-2003, 12:55 PM
Banned

Let me tell you, I use to run a small set that was attached to the overload also, yes they helped, but man am I glade I saw the LIGHT. I finally got to test drive the truck with the bags on and the overloads off. What a wonderful feeling, I wished I done this years ago. That thing rides so much better, I could not put them into words, You would just have to see for yourself. I can now go over rought spots, holes, speed bumps and not get that horrible jump with the back axle. That slap of the overloads against there stop is gone, this thing rides better then most 1500 pick-ups. I have a severly mess'd up spine, and trust me I know what rides good and don't. This is so much nicer then before, I was hoping this would help, but I never expected it to ride like this. I am more then happy, I almost feel like I got a new truck. If I would have known it would ride this good, I would have paid ten times what I spent. This is of-coarse in conjunction with the front that I just re-did. The dual shocks work very nice, and now when I go over bumps, railroad crossings, there is no sharp hit, it's just smooth and controled. Now I will be able to drive and not spill the coffeee. If you have problems with a rough ride like myself, do yourself a favor, and get it taken care on. ;D
Old 11-01-2003, 06:43 PM
Banned

Air Lift's super duty 5000lb bags