Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

In the market for a brake controller and 5th wheel hitch for an 01.

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2014, 06:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
In the market for a brake controller and 5th wheel hitch for an 01.

I used to hang out here a lot when I got my 2001 Quad Cab long bed in the mid-2000's. Between getting older, and all of the associated parts of doing so, I have fell out of touch with what is "current".

The truck stays plugged into a battery maintainer a lot these days, but I have a relative that wants to get rid of a 5th wheel camper pretty cheap, so I'm looking into what it would take to make the truck ready.

Back when I was into the diesel scene, Jordan and BrakeSmart controllers were the craze. Now it looks like both are out of business. That said, what are the best bang for the buck controllers these days?

Also, I'll need a hitch. I would love to have the B&W Companion, but I can't justify so much money for such occasional use. What is a good hitch that will safely tow a ~5,500 pound camper, not brake the bank, give me the ability to tow a gooseneck if the situation ever arises, yet conserve my bed nicely?

Thanks in advance. I know this question has probably been addressed a million times.
Old 09-27-2014, 06:51 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I hope I can help out with part of your question.

I found these on Ebay:
Ebay and Craigslist ads not allowed on DTR

How about these on Craig's List (I just did a search here in Dallas, just look to where you live):
Ebay and Craigslist ads not allowed on DTR
Old 10-08-2014, 07:27 PM

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
I would look for someone selling the old style companion hitch then just buy the B&W goose hitch. B&W recently modified the companion to make repeated installation better by changing the bolt locking mechanism but the hitch remains basically the same. Some people with very heavy trailers were experiencing bed damage and the new companion gets rid of that. Seriously there is only one hitch to buy and it's the B&W turnover ball.
Old 10-08-2014, 08:33 PM

Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts
I run the Voyager brake control in my trucks, they are nothing fancy but work good.

Look into the Anderson Hitches, they have a rail mount and a gooseneck mount. Gooseneck mounts in the hole for the turnover ball. I like the Anderson because it's light and easy for one person to install and remove.