Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

Looking for BEST brake pads/rotors for towing !!

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2011, 11:24 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
"So in the final analysis, drilling and slotting rotors has become popular in street applications for their pure aesthetic value. "

http://www.wilwood.com/TechTip/TechFaqs.aspx#RT[/QUOTE]

No trying to start anything but maybe you need to read the whole article! They Do Recommend slotted rotors (like I have) for severe applications!
Old 02-07-2011, 10:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Scotty
.boB how was/is the longevity of the pads you prefer?

I should add that I have a truck equipped with a factory exhaust brake which also extends the service life of the truck brakes.

My next camper will get a disk upgrade all around. I will be researching that in the near future.
Carlisle Actuators are favored by the Airstream retrofitters on disc brake packages (Actibrake out of business), and MOR/ryde has their own stuff as well. MOR/ryde also has some nice independent suspension upgrades.

Widening the suspension roll center out to the walls of the trailer is the other big "road performance" enhancement (past a sway-eliminating versus sway-resisting hitch for conventional towing).

A truck with 4-whl disc & e-brake, plus electrohydraulic disc on a trailer with I-S is pretty well state-of-the art when combined with the right hitch rigging.

I don't miss drums on anything I've owned. I think of them as always out of adjustment and am rarely wrong on that.
Old 02-07-2011, 11:11 PM
With age comes the cage

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Rednax
Carlisle Actuators are favored by the Airstream retrofitters on disc brake packages (Actibrake out of business), and MOR/ryde has their own stuff as well. MOR/ryde also has some nice independent suspension upgrades.

Widening the suspension roll center out to the walls of the trailer is the other big "road performance" enhancement (past a sway-eliminating versus sway-resisting hitch for conventional towing).

A truck with 4-whl disc & e-brake, plus electrohydraulic disc on a trailer with I-S is pretty well state-of-the art when combined with the right hitch rigging.

I don't miss drums on anything I've owned. I think of them as always out of adjustment and am rarely wrong on that.
^^^^^ What He Said ^^^^^

Carlisle Actuator and Dexter Discs

Pics in post 22 here:

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...ghlight=rumber

I have yet to find 4 electric trailer brakes that agree with each other..
Old 02-08-2011, 07:48 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by firemanram
"So in the final analysis, drilling and slotting rotors has become popular in street applications for their pure aesthetic value. "

http://www.wilwood.com/TechTip/TechFaqs.aspx#RT
No trying to start anything but maybe you need to read the whole article! They Do Recommend slotted rotors (like I have) for severe applications! [/QUOTE]

You're right, they do. I have read the whole article. And many others besides this one.

But, their idea of severe applications is differant than yours. Unless you're pounding on the brakes hard enough that you can smell them lap after lap, it's not severe duty. Remember, Wilwood is predominantly a race parts company. I have their brakes on my race car.

If you can smell your brakes on the street, you're doing something wrong.
Old 02-09-2011, 06:31 AM

after doing some research , and from some input from several forums , I decided to go with http://brakeperformance.com/index.php . I got the slotted rotors and Semi Metallic (Premium) Brake Pads . I hope to add an exhaust brake in the future just dont have the funds now .

Thanks
bigdaddy51200
Old 02-09-2011, 08:27 AM

HD rotors and Severe duty pads. Napa, PF, Hawk, Bendix, Wagner etc.... if they don't cost closer to $100 each dont waste your money.
Best for your brakes is an exhaust brake!
Old 02-09-2011, 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by bigdaddy51200
after doing some research , and from some input from several forums , I decided to go with http://brakeperformance.com/index.php . I got the slotted rotors and Semi Metallic (Premium) Brake Pads . I hope to add an exhaust brake in the future just dont have the funds now .

Thanks
bigdaddy51200
You will like them, I've had mine for 2yrs now.
Old 02-17-2011, 04:49 PM

I got the brakes installed today , so far so good . I will be towing my 12,000 pound 5th wheel in the morning .

Bigdaddy51200
Old 02-18-2011, 02:58 PM

Received 141 Likes on 107 Posts
The OP started this thread on another forum too which I also posted on so I'm just going to copy what I wrote over there:

This is not meant to be critical to any of you guys but its amazing how many people are mislead by good marketing and bad information regarding rotors and pads. Without getting into a heated details debate (to late?), slotted and/or drilled rotors, and ceramic are a waste of money. If you're finding yourself going through rotors and pads so fast that you have to replace them on a regular basis then you simply have a driving habit/braking habit problem. Its not the truck. Properly working brakes (4 wheel disc's or front disc's with rear drums) will have zero problem stopping a heavy trailer which ALSO has fully and properly functioning brakes on its axles. And anyone who tows heavy, I HIGHLY SUGGEST that you invest in an exhaust brake. No joke.....you will wonder how you actually survived without one once you see how much work. Yes, investing in an exhaust brake isn't cheap but by comparing the cost of some of the braking systems anyones looking at, an exhaust brake would pay for itself and then some in no time. Thats why I called it an "investment". Expensive rotors and pads are not investments because they dont save you money over time. This by no means am I telling anyone to purchase anything less than OEM grade rotors and pads. Cheap crap is still cheap crap. But spending big money on drilled, slotted, or ceramics is simply a huge waste of money.
Old 02-18-2011, 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by KATOOM
This by no means am I telling anyone to purchase anything less than OEM grade rotors and pads. Cheap crap is still cheap crap. But spending big money on drilled, slotted, or ceramics is simply a huge waste of money.
"HD rotors and Severe duty pads. Napa, PF, Hawk, Bendix, Wagner etc.... if they don't cost closer to $100 each dont waste your money.
Best for your brakes is an exhaust brake!"

Couldn't have said it any better!
Old 02-26-2011, 05:24 PM

The brakes and rotors did a fine job !! I got to go up & over lots on hills on my 300 mile trip .

Bigdaddy51200
Old 04-09-2013, 05:42 PM

Just came across this thread.. interesting.

I heavy haul ALL the time and gross upwards of 35/36K and 20K empty.
The only way to get any mileage from a brake system is to maintain the entire system. A Jake is very much a positive (and I have one). Everything needs to be at 100% or trouble is over the next hill.

Over the time I've established with this set-up, I have added cryo'd rotors to the system along with EBC advanced design "Red Stuff" pads on the 1 Ton and stock Dexter Pads w/cryo'd Dexter rotors. Yes, the cryo'd rotors last about double the life of untreated rotors.

This is NOT a performance/HD set-up and I drive it keeping this in mind.
I can and will get in trouble if I drive in any fashion other than a cautious one.

Anyone claiming to have a heavy hauling set-up that stops well is full of mud.

If I drive it hard, I pay the price and it ain't cheap changing parts.
Between $350/$400 per axle X's 5.. do the math, it's easier, safer and cheaper to slow down and keep the money saved for other things.
Old 04-09-2013, 06:59 PM

I just installed "Raybestos Premium ATD 965M" pads on the front with stock rotors. This was done per the recommendation another member, who stated that they are dustier than stock. I haven't noticed this, they seem to be about the same. The truck does stop better with less pedal pressure. The rear pads are stock and barely worn. I cannot attest to the longevity of these pads, because they have only been on for a few months.
John
Old 05-14-2013, 09:46 PM

I'm trying to decide which cyro'd front rotors I should get for a 95 E350 manual 5 speed towing 8k. 6 drums in back.

I dont want to send rotors to get cyro'd. In house only

Power Slot Cryo Rotors.. centric Cryo Treated Rotor.. who else makes cryo treated rotors?