Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

Legal Weight Pulling Limits in California

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2009, 05:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
a dot officer canfind something wrong with a brand new vehicle and give a ticket for it if they feel like it. i have been pulled over before and have gotten warnings, tickets, or nothing but have a nice day. depends on everybodies attitude at the time. never had one look at the sticker on my door either. and if i could only haul the little bit of weight stated here then i mite be abale to haul a tonka toy on my trailer.
Old 11-17-2009, 07:20 PM

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by Scotty
One thing I learned, the hard way is that all trucks are not created equal with what the manufacturer says is the GCWR.
My 07 quad cab dually 4x4 said 12,200lbs.
My 07 mega cab dually 4x4 says 10,500 lbs.
A 4x4 3500 quad non dually long bed is 10,100lbs.
A 4x2 3500 quad cab dually is 11,500lbs.

Its very easy to exceed the total weight in these trucks compared to what they can actually pull. I wonder how they arrived at 10,500 on the Mega cab dually compared to the 12,200 of the quad dually? The difference in the actual weight of the trucks was only 400 pounds.
I got tagged for the overloaded truck and depending on the DOT in your area...they can and will check that door sticker. I am not posting this to create a discussion on what we can and cannot do...it just surprised the heck outta me when I learned this from the DOT.
Not a lot of room for heavy pin weight when the mega weighs in around 8000 pounds.

On edit, its not the axle ratings that DOT looks at. Its the smallest number on the door sticker...the manufacturers weight rating. My axles and tires where fine. The truck was overloaded when looking at that sticker. Really was an eye opener for me.
I think those numbers are the GVWR as the GCWR is 23,000lbs. Which did you get the ticket for.
Old 11-17-2009, 10:59 PM
Top's Younger Twin

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by Busboy
I think those numbers are the GVWR as the GCWR is 23,000lbs. Which did you get the ticket for.
Whoops my mistake...it was/is the GVWR I got tagged for. I always get them switched around.

As GAmes mentioned...I got tagged in BC, not from there though.
Old 11-18-2009, 05:31 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Just got off the phone with the CHP.

I need a full commercial class A liscenes to tow a trailer with a GVWR over 10klbs. Not if the trailer weighs over 10klbs loaded, but even just if it's GVWR is over 10, and I am pulling it empty at 7klbs.
So I cannot even tow it empty legally.

The 15k trailer limit applies to RV trailers with bathrooms and sinks and stuff, and a non commercial class A only applies to RV stuff over 10k as well. The only way to leagally tow a non-RV trailer over 10kGVWR is with a commercial class A.

The truck is pretty legit as is. I can re-rgister the truck for "delcared weight". and declare whatever I want. BUT all of the GVWR numbers still apply. GAWR and tire ratings are probably most important, and the truck's GVWR and GCWR could be cited worst case, but are in a grey area and the CHP said most officers would not care as long as GAWR and tires are good.

I would not have to stop at the scales unless I take the pickup box off of it, and flatbed it or utility bed etc. Even at 30klbs.

A full commercial class A means a DUI limit of .01% and no option for traffic school if I get a speeding ticket, In both cases even if you are driving a honda. Also need a log book if you are towing over 100 miles from home.

This is kinda redonk. Dont know if its all worth it.

I think the reality is that most of the population that tows with trucks like ours is breaking the law.
Old 11-18-2009, 07:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
yea lot of those guys are and then some of us are not and get sick and tired of seeing those guys get away with it
Old 11-18-2009, 09:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You could move to TX. Our non-commercial class A would allow you to pull that trailer, and our class C allows you to pull a combo up to 26,000 gcwr. No silly "trailers over 10,000 gvwr requires a class A CDL". Aint'cha glad you live in CA?