Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

keystone NO NO

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2006, 07:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
keystone NO NO

just a FYI deal. my parents bought a new keystone 5th wheel a few months ago. they hauled it 40 highway miles to its new home at their property, spent a week on and off in it and found a few issues, they made an appointment at the dealer and brought it down two weeks ago. i dont know all of the stuff but got a 15 min. earful tonight, keystone will not fix anything on their trailer, they said the dealer should have inspected it upon arrival. its gotten to the point my parents want their money back, keystone people have been rude to both my mother and the service manager, the dealer is none too happy with them at this point.

lets just say dads EDIT...... 30+ grand and cant use his new trailer, mom already cancelled next weeks vacation from work. we'll see how this one turns out.
Old 08-31-2006, 08:28 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
might send them a link to this thread, let them know alot of folks are wondering about thier customer service.

with fuel prices so high, everybody's pinching pennies, and good customer service becomes even more important to earn business.

maybe e-mail the dealership & the company in the same e-mail, get all the facts on the table.

be polite, factual, quantify everything, take pics & attach.
no "he said / she said" that way.

pray about it
Old 08-31-2006, 08:41 PM

This might be a dealer problem. I have owned two keystone 5th wheel trailers and yes they have had their issues. They have always taken care of any issues within their one year warranty no questions asked. Might try calling them again and speak with a supervisor.....
Old 08-31-2006, 11:08 PM

I'll never buy a Keystone product for the same reason! I had warranty issues with mine. It needed $9,000+ worth of repairs because it leaked and they wanted try and fix it. It told them just give me a new trailer and they refused. The trailer was only 4 months old!
Old 09-01-2006, 12:26 AM

first of all noone is going to give you a new trailer over a warranty issue like a leak

yes you may want a new one maybe you deserve a new one, but wanting and getting will be two different things

the warranty problems are not with keystone, they are with your dealer

i have had nothing but good service for my two keystone products

we just bought our second, both times we were told to take the unit use it live with it come back in a couple of weeks with your list of problems and make a parts list

the list from our new laredo, bear in mind they are all minor

new range top and knife rack bent at factory
fixed loose refrigerator, installed poorly
replaced black tank valve handle that rattled off
various screws
replacing one window
replacing poorly installed trim
ordered new door for master bath, very small nick in it, i knew it was there but didn't really care, the dealer ordered the part on his own
repaired some things while it was in without me even asking

the problem is your dealer, some of you items are probably on the dealers check in list and they are going to have to come out of the dealers pocket

call keystone customer service directly

ill bet you get help
Old 09-01-2006, 12:37 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hmmm, some how I smell BBQ!

Sorry to hear about your folks troubles!!

Do not get mad Get even!! A good attorney should do the trick and make up for lost time because the manufacturer is playing games!!

Pony up Keystone or you will be eating BBQ very soon!!

Rick
Old 09-01-2006, 06:07 AM

they have been dealing with keystone customer service, the dealer suggested it after they told them they would not help the dealer. the one person was rude to my mom, she talked to the dealer, the service manager called keystone and talked with the person, they admitted they were rude to her, the service manager was very upset.

some issues are the A/C and heat.
a bunch of insulation fell out of the bottom (were told by keystone customer service "that always happens"
shower drain was not installed properly, wont come close to sealing
alot of leaks under the sinks, most of which my dad already fixed on his own (he's a plumber)
awning is installed too low, cannot open the door with it out. and there is no support to move it higher.
there were some other things also, but these are all things which should be taken care of

like i said, this thing went 40 miles got leveled and parked, its not like it was abused. my mom made the comment her 14 year old camper they traded in was better than the new one. they love the room and the layout, but from a functional standpoint it could not be used. everything leaked, cant shower, cook, the A/c wouldnt cool it and it ran all the time, not like its hot up here. the heat kicked on one night because it dropped into the 30s while they were there, it kept coming on and off to keep the thing warm, what happens during deer season when we spend two weeks there and its 0 out? if it cannot heat the thing at 30* and cant cool it there's a problem. (maybe the insulation fell out)
Old 09-01-2006, 07:04 AM

My father bought a new 2005 Sprinter by Keystone and has had nothing but problems with it. The dealer has fixed most of them. The window leaked, the shower leaked, the a/c fan quit working and the hydralic pump on the slide out quit working. Fortunately, their dealer has been able to fix everything for them.
Old 09-01-2006, 07:38 AM

Originally Posted by rockhound
first of all noone is going to give you a new trailer over a warranty issue like a leak

yes you may want a new one maybe you deserve a new one, but wanting and getting will be two different things
So spending almost $20 grand for trailer that leaked so bad that it flooded the (L) side of the trailer, mildewed/molded the flooring, door hole was cut to big where I could see daylight through the door frame and siding frame doesn't justify a new trailer? If I wanted a trailer with these kinda problems I would of bought a used one!

Originally Posted by rockhound
the warranty problems are not with keystone, they are with your dealer
Last time I checked the trailer said manufactured by Keystone, not Billy Bobs rv center. There is only so much a dealer can do!
Old 09-01-2006, 08:24 AM
Just a plain ole guy

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
This is odd to me. We have a Keystone and it's been perfect. We also have some friends who have the bumper pull version of what we have, and they've had only one problem that was self inflicted. He added an outside shower and didn't do his fittings right, and they came loose and floded the place. but again, that was his fault. My wife is in the process of starting her own business, and since it's in the early stages, $$$ are tight right now, and we've been considering selling it, but it's been so good of an rv, that we're really trying to figure out how to keep it.
Old 09-09-2006, 08:50 AM

I owned an '05 Keystone 5er for only 5 months. I saw the writing on the wall and decided to shuck the poor quality sucker! Everything looks prim and proper until you actually start to use it. I was fortunate enough to have the means to pay cash--and got a really good deal--so that when I sold it I broke even. I then bought a HitchHiker and what a DIFFERENCE!
Old 09-09-2006, 09:03 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by upersleder
the one person was rude to my mom,

a bunch of insulation fell out of the bottom (were told by keystone customer service "that always happens"
sounds to me like a shoddy product, and they know it, and hope you will go away, and just live with it, or repair it yourself.
Old 09-09-2006, 10:35 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I can never figure out why people even buy these things. Just get a motel, a lot cheaper, no maintenance headaches. Travel trailers are a waste of money.
Old 09-09-2006, 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by Geico266
I can never figure out why people even buy these things. Just get a motel, a lot cheaper, no maintenance headaches. Travel trailers are a waste of money.
Nice informative post there Geico.

We have a 2004 Keystone Challenger 5ver and have had very few problems. I would definetly turn up the heat on the dealer, they are the ones that should be going to battle with the manufacturer. It's also in your best interest to demand an in depth pre-delivery inspection, regardless of how long it takes. If the dealer says no, then move on to another one. There are alot of good dealers out there, and unfortunately alot of bad lazy ones too.
Old 09-09-2006, 10:06 PM

I love my keystone. No problems on my 2003. As far as motels, well I live out west. You cant find motels on some of the flyfishing rivers and lakes on colorado and nM. I also like having a hotel in my hunting area. I only haul mine in a 3-400 mile range.

Quick Reply: keystone NO NO