Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

home electrical question

Old 07-03-2007, 12:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
home electrical question

I'll try to make this short & to the point...
The other day I plugged the RV into the outlet on the front of my house as I usually do. Never had any problems. I was doing some rearranging and getting the rv ready for the weekend so I decided to turn on the air conditioner cause it was hot out...never used it before at home. About three hours later I go into the upstairs bathroom in our house, and the switch cover was warm when I turned the light on....the GFCI outlet next to it was very warm. I unplgged the nitelite that was off, and the prongs were too hot to hold onto. So I quickly go outside, shut off the a/c in the camper and unplug it from the house outlet. The outlet in the bathroom quickly cools down.
Now two years ago when we moved in I replaced the front & rear outlets on the house because the weather seals were in bad shape and they looked old...I figured out that when I cut the breaker, there is no power to either outdoor outlet, AND the upstairs bathroom. So these are all on one circuit.
How do I make that front outlet on the house a stand alone able to handle the draw from the camper? The rv has a 30amp charger/convertor...three prong type plug that I use and adpater for a normal residential outlet.
Thanks guys !
Old 07-03-2007, 02:09 PM

You need a single pole 30 amp breaker,#10 wire in a white ,green and a black ,or a piece of 10-2 romex run it to the outlet and go and buy the corresponding plug and install it in the outlet box.The problem with that is then it is only going to be used for the camper and nothing else,most home centers sell a special box for a Rv hookup it's like 50 bucks.I would think that if you put that front outlet on a 20 amp breaker by itself,then you would be allright but if you want the 30 amp then you can run everything in the camper and not worry.
Joe
Old 07-03-2007, 02:31 PM

home electrical problem

I am a master electrician and it sounds like you overloaded the circuit,
the bathroom gfi should be on its own circuit and you need a 30 amp circuit for your rv- hire a licensed electrician, dont fool with somthing you are not educated about, you could easily burn your house down
Old 07-03-2007, 02:41 PM

Ya what he said , almost any RV hook up 30amp is a min. , 50amp is best , a lot of AC units die a early death because of low power .
If you want to do your self , you need to have a pro draw up how , then you may get it right , like pwregan said you do not want to start any fires in the house , out side is where your entertainment fires should happen .
Old 07-03-2007, 03:17 PM

Well thanks for the words of wisdom everyone. I won't mess with it myself. Time to grab the yellow pages !
I'm happy that I even bothered to turn on the light in the bathroom that day, or I wouldn't have felt the heat.
Old 07-03-2007, 09:50 PM

Most Rv places sell a volt meter. These meter usually have a red and green zone. When the volts drop into the red zone you do not have enough current and need to turn some applicances off ie water heater, refri, etc until the volt increse to the green zone. I keep mine pluged in and check the volts evertime I setup.

When some rv parks start too get crowded the current can run low and the only way you will know is when your appliance start to get hot. You can save thousands by watching that volt meter ( maybe 15 dollars).