Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

Hitch extension--how long?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2017, 06:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hitch extension--how long?

Long story short, I'm wondering how much my hitch should extend beyond the end of my camper to give me the best turning radius (i'm not a very good backer upper). My current set up is just standard hitch, but I'm wondering if a short extension beyond "normal" would improve my turning radius.

I did end up buying a slide in camper and plan to haul my horse trailer.
I drove a friend's with the same setup with the torquelift superhitch and I think it will work for my application (I drive slow, don't go 4 wheelin with the trailer). I got a smokin deal on the camper so can change directions if it isn't working out.

The camper hangs over about 24". The camper dealer is suggesting a 20K hitch; I was considering the 30K and they think its overkill; haven't crunched those numbers yet. I do know the extra weight of the 30K is a drawback if I don't need it.

Should I extend the hitch slightly, and how much 4", 6"? I know it will make a difference in my towing capacity; would it make that much difference in my towing radius?
thanks
Old 03-10-2017, 08:10 AM

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
I personaly am not a fan of hitch extentions. I would try to come up with an extention from the trailer side before coming from the truck side. The longer hitch on the trailer will help in backing it up and not multiply the whip affect from the longer truck hitch.
Old 03-10-2017, 09:32 AM

I don't think the camper is an option for attaching the hitch.
If I go with my current set up, the camper hangs out a little less than 2' from the bed of the truck. I'm wondering if extending the hitch another 4-6" will give me significantly better ability in backing easier.

If the stinger is too long my guess is I will be needing a weight distribution hitch, which is a total pia.
I drove my friends truck with the same size and set up, but her horse trailer is alot lighter than mine.
I was warned in this forum that I wouldn't be happy with this setup but just gotta try it since it is the best camping (though maybe not towing) setup for my needs.
Old 03-10-2017, 11:13 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Saggonwaggon is saying to extend the horse trailer tongue to meet the truck's original receiver location. I do agree even though there are plenty of people who use hitch extensions. (which I am about to start a thread on, wait till you see this set up)
Old 03-10-2017, 12:25 PM
Banned

Received 130 Likes on 84 Posts
Lengthening the hitch on the truck side will not help you in backing up a trailer. It will only multiply the problem especially if you struggle to back things up already. Look at getting your trailer hitch lengthened, any competent welding shop should be able to do this for you.

It's not as much about you being happy with extending your hitch as it is about your safety and everyone else on the road around you. I am nearlly certain a weight distribution hitch is not compatable with any hitch extension. Personally I don't think manufacturers should even make such a thing, the extension that is. It's just a disaster waiting to happen.
Old 04-05-2017, 01:37 AM

Thanks for the replies, that answered my question.
Old 04-05-2017, 09:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
3 of us in my family used the Torklift Superhitch with extensions to tow toy box trailers or ski boats behind our trucks when the cabover campers were on board.
I believe I had an 24" extension, my brother had a 30", and nephew also had a 24.
We all used weight distributing hitches with the extensions. At that time Torklift hod no instructions to the contrary on their website. Between the 3 of us I am certain we towed in excess of 100,000 miles with the W/D system on board, and another 25k with the boats tagging along, I didnt use the W/D on the boat, wasn't necessary.
We had no problems whatsoever. Unless Torklift has changed their policy I would have no hesitation to go that route again, but we no longer have the need as we have all gone to 5'ers
I considered the idea of extending the trailer tongue, but that is a permanent alteration the the trailer, and ultimately decided not to.
The most important thing when setting up a rig with the extension and the W/D is to follow the darn directions for setting up the W/D hitch correctly. To this day I still see guys going down the road with the thing all outta whack.
If you do this just read and follow the directions, it does make a difference.
Old 04-06-2017, 03:48 AM

Thanks P22, Torklift definitely requires a weight distribution hitch to achieve the maximum ratings advertised, as is posted on the extension. I have used a WD system with a previous setup and I agree, they can make a big difference. Hope it works well with my current setup.
Glad to know that there is nothing to be gained by extending my hitch any further than necessary. I'm not comfortable extending the tongue on my horse trailer so I won't be doing that. I'm a cautious driver so if the bags, hellwig sway bar, Torklift hitch and equalizer WD system don't make it a safe drive I won't be doing it. I'll post my results!
Old 05-23-2017, 07:52 AM

So far so good!
I'm towing with a heavy slide in camper, the forklift 3' tower and equalizer weight distribution. The Hellwig sway bar makes a HUGE difference.
Haven't been on a trip in the mountain or ocean winding and windy roads yet, but so far it feels solid. Literally a happy camper
Old 06-02-2017, 02:55 PM

Hey Bargal, what do you have for a camper? We have a Lance 1121 and use a TorkLift Superhitch when we haul our boat. We have the 30" extension and have had no issues at all hauling. We have friends with the 24" extension who haul a 30' car hauler with w/d without issue.
Old 06-04-2017, 07:38 PM

Hi xp8103 I have a 2005 Arctic Fox 990. Me too on the Torklift super hitch, mine has a 36" extension to pull a horse trailer that can weigh up to about 9k.
Hauls very easily and nicely with the weight distribution hitch attached.
I have camper steps that let me enter from the side, so I don't have to climb onto the trailer hitch to get into the camper. I'm loving this setup, now that it is all put together it is working GREAT.
I know truck campers aren't for everybody, but to me this setup feels very stable and well balanced, even though my camper is rather heavy (but like a Lance, its built well