Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

Heaviest and Longest Haul...need advice please.

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2003, 11:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Heaviest and Longest Haul...need advice please.

Hi All, and thanks for looking.

I am planning a long haul...the longest by far that I've done. It is an odd one, and I figured I'd pop in here to get some advice from the experts. I am a wee bit nervous about this one.
Since I have a bunch of questions, I'll just rattle them all off in this single post and hopefully I can get several answered at once, so sorry if it's a bit jumbled.

Ok..here we go...
First, I have a lifetime of towing experience with boats (sometimes large boats), car trailers, and the usual bumper pull stuff. I've rigged and overloaded, and gotten by, and I'd say I have a pretty good feel for the dynamics of towing.
I have also driven 24' stakes 1000's of miles just a *wee* bit over...done a bit of offroading with various trucks and rigs (sometimes even intentionally).
However, I just got my first dually last year and my gooseneck towing experience is limited to short hauls and also some passenger time as well.
Because I am a machinery dealer, I have a fair amount of experience with rigging and judging loads, and dealing with weight in one form or another.
Anyway, I just want to give you a basic idea where I'm at. Pretty much a confident driver/hauler, but don't live out of a 5'ver.

Ok, so here's my plan... this is gonna take some following along...
I'm in SoCal and in the last week, I've sold a machine to a guy in MN, promised to sell his old machine, and also bought a machine in NY. In addition, there is another machine in MO I would like to have a look at.

Machine 1 (to be delivered): 1700lbs
Machine 2 (to be re-sold): 1700lbs
Machine 3 (I've purchased): 4000lbs
Machine 4 (possible purchase): 3000lbs

Normally I would just be shipping this stuff around via common carrier, but the shipping costs were really getting nuts, and right around the time I was thinking how nuts they were (how ironic), I find a trailer in MS that I wanted and I bought it!

So, my current trip looks like this:

Machine 1 in the bed to MS
Pick up trailer and transfer Machine 1.
Continue to NY and pick up machine 3
Continue to MN where Machine 1 and 2 are swapped.
Continue to MO and possibly purchase Machine 4 (although I think this might not be doable).
Onward via *some* route back to the land of La La.

Bizzare yet?..It gets worse...
The nail in the coffin (deciding factor to make the trip) is that the used trailer I purchased is quite unique and useful to my business, but not my first choice for such a trip.
It is the double axle 10,000lb model "Lift-A-Load" which can be viewed here: http://www.lift-a-load.com
It is 14' in the bed, is the gooseneck model, has a weight of 5K empty with a hitch weight of 1300lbs.
I wont go into the loading aspect except to say that machine 4 likely would not fit, but if it would...I'd be tempted.

Ok, so the first question will be the overall, and of course the most likely to get the funny remarks... "How would you make this trip?" Really just a question about how the people here would feel about this combination over such a long haul.

Obviously, towing a trailer that I am not only unfamiliar with, but also an oddball prompts me to desire the nicest road and road conditions possible (for late Nov)...which is the second question... "Would you cut back down south after MO and return on the Southern route?). I have driven coast to coast through the south 3 times...in a car...and never come across through the northwest. Sleet, Ice, Snow, and mountains with the work "Rock" in them don't sound like something I'd like to deal with, but I'm just guessing. Never been there at all, let alone in November. I'd take the longer ride over the white knuckles given the choice.

Which brings me to my next question...
"What advice to you all (y'all) have about rain, hail, sleet, snow, ice, and a short heavy trailer? (gotta practice the "y'all" since I might visit a couple friends on the way).
Should I have chains for my truck and what would be the proper setup for that? I'd probably just pull off, but I didn't order the heated vibramatic queen sized bed option in my Ram, so there might be short times I may need to push through something like this. Thoughts?

Ok, I'm even gonna slip in the brake controller question since obviously it's *never* been asked before ...
Seriously, I have an older brake controller...Teckshonkawonker or whatever. It works OK for short local runs but it's jerky and Xthousand miles of jerky would make me abandon the rig for enough to buy a plane ticket to Hawaii. Obviously there are hardcore Jordan supporters here, but I haven't seen many Jordan vs BrakeSmart articles. The stuff I normally haul is heavy and expensive, and even a $1000 price difference would not really matter to me, but the nicest/safest performance possible does. The fact that the Jordan will stop the trailer in a hydraulic failure holds about as much water with me as gremlins nibbling through the Jordan cable just as I pass the crest on the Mt Everest expressway.
Money no object...what would you install? I don't want a Prodigy... I can deal with true physical proportional braking better.

Ok, the truck...
It's pretty much stock. I have a...um..Diablo or some kind of "puck" in there. Even though it did give me some pep, it is currently disconnected as I suspect it was screwing with the truck's CPU and I was sick of getting things reprogrammed. The latest Dodge programming seemed to boost the truck's performance to almost what the puck did, and no ill side effects so far. In any case, the truck may be a little underpowered, but I suppose I'll deal with that.
I don't really have time to "bomb" the truck before the trip anyway. It will get a tune from Cummins though.
However, I could probably use some tires before, or during the trip. What tires would you suggest for someone who um...*could* load a bit too heavy from time to time, both in the bed alone, or towing? Please understand, dealing machinery sometimes means you don't know what your load is before you get it...let alone get to weigh it. Comfort is secondary to gas mileage, which is secondary to confidence.
Price no object (within reason), which tires would you put on the truck (front and rear)?

The hitch...
I have a flip-over GN ball. I purchased my truck used, so it's got some lateral play in it. I cannot say that I like the design at all. I don't like rattles...at all, and I would much rather have something stronger and again...more confidence giving than convienient. It does however still have to be removeable and I've seen these screw-in types. Any ideas on what hitch you would put in there if you were me?

Aside from all of this, if this were your truck, trip, and load, what would you be thinking about doing for prep, and what would your checklist involve? What tips or advice could you give me about the travel itself? I mean, having a CA plate is probable cause in some states!
I basically have a week to prep and 14 days start to return.

Any and all help is appreciated.

Sorry for the long read, and I really need just about all of these questions answered, so if you have ideas about something not mentioned, please jump in (even though the thread will probably go off into pages of brake controller battles).

I will be sure to document and photograph the trip and give you the results if...um...I mean when I get back.

Many Many Thanks
Sean
Old 11-18-2003, 12:01 AM

Re:Heaviest and Longest Haul...need advice please.

Ooops, forgot to mention a couple items (as always).

I should have done some of the obvious math...
The trailer I purchased will weigh about 7K loaded on the first leg, 10-11K on the second leg, and possibly 14K on the final leg.

The normal load for this 14' "lift a load" will be my 5Kcap forklift @ 9500lbs for 14.5K.

This truck also has to haul a 32ft flatbed GN from SoCal to Oregon about 6 times in February (loaded). This I won't mention the weight of.

Point is that even though 11k might not seem like much, it is in a very short trailer on this trip, and in any thoughts you might have about hitches, tires, and mod's, please also consider the other rigs I will be using down the road.

All the Best
Sean
Old 11-18-2003, 08:30 AM

If money truly was no object, you should just pay someone to do it for you.

My only comment is that it appears that your "new" trailer is an unknown quantity. Other than your truck, its got the biggest job on your entire trip. Murphy always likes to be a wingman. Just make sure you've got some slop in your well laid plans to account for any unforeseen issues/delays that may crop up (you've got weather covered). I'm thinking things like tires/spares, bearings, brakes, lights, straps, tiedown points, etc...... What looks good on the phone, email, jpg, may not look so good in person, or good enough for you.

I've heard fellas say the Jordan is the best thing going without being near brake fluid.

Sounds like a fun trip. I'd love to do something like that and get away from flying this desk.
Old 11-18-2003, 08:56 AM
DPG

Wow! Hey Sean, I'll attempt to give you my opinion on at least a couple of your questions. It looks like we have nearly identical trucks, except for my mods. I live in Northern Michigan, and I run Cooper AT's and they work great in the slop that we get in the winter. Make sure that you get E rated tires, they will carry the heavier weights that you will be hauling. In many states chains are illegal, you might want to check before investing.

I would definately take the southern route. I've towed in slippery conditions, and both experiences were nightmares. I think that your truck should handle the loads just fine. You may be a little overweight on your last leg, but not a lot overweight. When I tow, it's an 11K fiver (high profile) and I have had no lack-of-power issues, even through the Smokies.

If you want a little more zip and don't like the Diablo that you have, I can recommend the Edge EZ. It makes a noticeable difference, and installs in about 5 minutes. They run about $500.00 and many of the vendors here sell them. The EZ won't mess with your other electronics.

Make sure that your truck brakes are in top shape, also all the belts hoses, etc. You might want to carry some spares.
Also, you might want to have your AT checked out by good people before you go. The transmission is the weakest link in the drivetrain, but will last if it's not abused. If you are going to be towing heavy a lot, you might want to consider at least a beefier torque converter and valve body.

Sounds like a great, wish I could go with you!

I hope that this helps some.

DeWain
Old 11-18-2003, 09:08 AM

Sean
With the load you are carrying I would want gauges to keep an eye on the tranny temp and exhaust temp. These temps can get pretty high with a big load if you run into traffic. Hate to see you run into trouble that way. Just my $0.02.
Good Luck on your trip sounds like an adventure.
Old 11-18-2003, 09:14 AM

how does that trailer pivot on the ball like that?? sure seems like a lot of moving parts on that trailer, alot of moving parts that may or will eventually fail. is the trailer use or new?
Old 11-18-2003, 08:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just load the machines, hit a weight scale and check the weight. You should have 25% of the trailer weight on the hitch ball. Make sure that you do and you are ok. You will be taking I-10 and I-20 to get to Mississippi so no weather problem there. You can hit weather on I-81 going to New York and of course Minn. Going back is easy, if the weather is good, just hit I-44 for the old route 66. You are a whole lot lighter than I am when I go to New York.
Old 11-20-2003, 07:02 PM

[quote author=Tow Monster link=board=11;threadid=22551;start=0#msg211995 date=1069362219]
Auxillary fuel tank. You wont regret it. Especially if your on the road and its shut down for 5 hours waiting on sand trucks to arrive. Not to mention its 10* outside.[/quote]

Yep, been there, done that and moved on. We're headed out ATL to SEA, dropping off one of two f/b trailers in NM. On the return picking up a tractor and dropping it off in NM, then retrieving a pos boat for a bank and dropping it off in FL, then coming back to ATL. Carrying 74-gal extra fuel, four sets of chains and 500# of gravel.
Old 11-20-2003, 09:00 PM

Thanks people for the advice so far!

I didn't get any response on the brake controller issue, so based on my usual desire to play guinea pig, I went ahead and ordered the BrakeSmart. It was a tough call because I've heard so many good things about Jordan. I'm the type of person who usually will go with whomever is the most helpful on the phone...which I hear Jordan always is...so was Steve at Brakesmart, so I had to toss a coin.

I also ordered a replacement hitch. A very simple design I found from a welding shop on ebay "G & L Welding" out of Missouri. Basically the ball has a square recess for a 1/2" drive on top and you just screw it in and out sorta like you would a bumper hitch ball. Simple, no rattles, I like the idea and I'll let you know how that goes.

There are couple questions I am still looking for the answers or opinions on...
Since I probably didn't ask them right, let me try again...

What I was looking to know is what I might want to keep in mind about a hauling very short heavy trailer for a long distance. The dynamics, emergency dynamics, loading tips, snow and ice tips...etc., when compared to a longer GN.
Perhaps there is nothing, but if there is anything of note, I would like to hear it.

On the chains issue, I was looking for "don't bother at all", or if I should bother, then how do you mount them? Remember, this is my first Dually truck. Do you mount 2 or 4, or 6, and which?

Extra fuel and...um...Gravel? I don't have time to have an aux tank installed, but I could carry a couple Gerry cans. What is the gravel for? Seems like an odd thing to carry for traction unless you are in the worst of weather.

Also, are break away boxes required across the states?

Are there any stretches or states where DOT actually bothers with LT's? Any scales which should be...um...avoided?

Thanks for all the help folks!
Sean
Old 11-20-2003, 10:23 PM

[quote author=Sean S link=board=11;threadid=22551;start=0#msg212126 date=1069383631]
Thanks people for the advice so far!

Since I probably didn't ask them right, let me try again...

What I was looking to know is what I might want to keep in mind about a hauling very short heavy trailer for a long distance. The dynamics, emergency dynamics, loading tips, snow and ice tips...etc., when compared to a longer GN.
Perhaps there is nothing, but if there is anything of note, I would like to hear it.

On the chains issue, I was looking for "don't bother at all", or if I should bother, then how do you mount them? Remember, this is my first Dually truck. Do you mount 2 or 4, or 6, and which?

Extra fuel and...um...Gravel? I don't have time to have an aux tank installed, but I could carry a couple Gerry cans. What is the gravel for? Seems like an odd thing to carry for traction unless you are in the worst of weather.

Also, are break away boxes required across the states?

Are there any stretches or states where DOT actually bothers with LT's? Any scales which should be...um...avoided?

[/quote]

Sean on the short trailer thing I answered you but you did not get it. Make sure that you have 25% of the trailer weight on the drive axle (rear axle) of the truck. It should tow well if this is done. To do this, weigh the truck rear axle without the trailer so that you know what the truck axle weight is. After loading weigh the trailer or estimate the weight if you know the empty weight. Make sure that the truck rear axle weight is increased 25% of the trailer weight with the trailer on it.

If you go for chains my opinion is to just carry a single pair. If necessary to get someplace, put them on the outside wheel of the rear axle of the truck.

I don't carry extra fuel but it would not hurt to carry five gallons just in case. I am sure you listen to the radio, you will know if you are getting into bad snow problems before you get there.

For your trailer brakaway box is necessary and they will shut you down if you don't have one. Of course that is if you get stopped. You do have to stop at the scales or go around them. For example Alabama sign says "All trucks and commercial vehicles must enter." Get on the CB and ask if you have to stop, you can get away with some of them. For instance, if you happen to be on I-20 and come up on the Alabama scale, don't bother stopping. I would try to go around most of them, you can with your truck.

You can go around the Virginia scales on I-81 and most of them with not too much problem. The Kentucky scales on I-65 are easy to bypass. Same with the Tennessee scales on 40. MS and LA scales are harder but at your weight you can take the non-interstates in MS. I ran all over the eastern 2/3 of the country with plates for 26,000 and carrying 30,000, for a year before I got the heavy plates. Never got caught.

Hope all this helps.