Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

Gooseneck vs. Kingpin

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2005, 08:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wow, I'm impressed.... now on to more interesting persuits.... I must comment though, no one ever has told me that 55 yards of wet sand is a "tonka toy" For those that are not familiar with bulk hauling, that is over 200,000 pounds gross.
Old 07-14-2005, 11:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by OTR PU
I could rekindle the arguement by saying anything over the axle is better than a tag,...

Cheers,
Steve J
There, everybody is happy now. At least he isn't pulling it off the bumper. Bottom Line: If you are going to be on the highway all the time, go with a 5th wheel. If you're going to be driving primarily across uneven terrain then get a GN or a 5th wheel with locks. I'm sure the gooseneck is going to be cheaper than the heavy duty 5th wheel hitch either way you look at it. What HiD says makes sense about being on a highway, the tighter the coupling the more stable.

Why can't we all just get-a-loooooooooooongneck?
Old 07-15-2005, 01:32 PM

Why can't we all just get-a-loooooooooooongneck?
Folks,

Don't get me wrong, Haulin' and I could more. I have more information and could keep going on forever. I'm sure he does too. There are options for specific needs and preferences. I just wanted to point it out to those with maybe lesser towing experience or may not have seen more than the conventional products out there. And increase my post count of course. The technology is out there. You just have to find it.

For Haulin's needs and preferences, and for other folks, the choice may be for something he's been talking about.

For myself, my driving style, preference, and where I pull trailers, the choice I would make would be for the equipment I've been talking about.

I think we can all agree to agree on these.

My point on expressing different options and ruffling some feathers along the way is complete.

Cheers Haulin'
Old 07-15-2005, 01:54 PM
Thats MR Hoss to you buddy!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
But you're still wrong.
Old 07-15-2005, 04:14 PM

I really don't know who's right or wrong. I've hauled 5er's with a pickup for several years. Hitches went from almost inadequate to some pretty stout hardware now. Originally the mounting rails ran lineal with the truck frame. Then they started installing across the frame. Seems stronger, but might have been done so more things could be mounted on the rails at the same time, eg Goose Neck Plate under the 5er hitch. I liked the heck out of that, but fell in love with air bag suspended 5er hitch. Hence the adapter to convert. Next improvement was the two way articulating hitch. Originally the one's I saw had provision for locking out lateral articulation, and instructions were to use it when hooking on irregular surface and such, and lock it for road travel. Then all at once I need a new hitch anvil, got a Reese 20k double articulation, doesn't even have a provision for locking it out. Beats me, but if I decided I needed it to lock for the road all I'd have to do is drill a hole through the anvil and throw a bolt through the two parts. What I have noticed is I don't get near as much bed "creeking" pulling out of fuel stops crossing drives to roads as I used to hear. But that was with a different truck so who knows? I watch the big boys when the wind gets to blowin, if they start a leanin and dog trailing, I get off. . .I don't even wanna find out if it's gonna hold better in a cross wind.

Cheers,
Steve J
Old 07-15-2005, 09:01 PM

Originally posted by OTR PU
... Then all at once I need a new hitch anvil, got a Reese 20k double articulation, doesn't even have a provision for locking it out. Beats me, but if I decided I needed it to lock for the road all I'd have to do is drill a hole through the anvil and throw a bolt through the two parts. What I have noticed is I don't get near as much bed "creeking" pulling out of fuel stops crossing drives to roads as I used to hear...

Cheers,
Steve J
Steve, this hitch you're speaking of, does it pivot sideways on a centre pin, or does it have a curved slide (or saddle) underneath the fifth wheel plate itself?

Kerry
Old 07-21-2005, 02:42 PM

I have the same 20k and its on a center pin., with no lock out.
Old 07-26-2005, 12:07 PM

Ok, here is a question.. I have a 5th wheel camper with a gooseneck conversion on it. When I leave, I have a tight turn due to a fence.. and the trailer tires go in a ditch, and if not careful, the camper will sit right down on my bed rails... I have never pulled with a 5th wheel hitch, but if I had one.. would the plate hold the camper off of my rails.. or would the same happen? thanks
Old 07-26-2005, 11:15 PM
Tire Hater

You'd put ALOT of stress on your truck's frame and the trailers frame as well
Old 07-27-2005, 06:08 AM

Originally posted by britej
Ok, here is a question.. I have a 5th wheel camper with a gooseneck conversion on it. When I leave, I have a tight turn due to a fence.. and the trailer tires go in a ditch, and if not careful, the camper will sit right down on my bed rails... I have never pulled with a 5th wheel hitch, but if I had one.. would the plate hold the camper off of my rails.. or would the same happen? thanks
Time to move the fence!
Old 07-27-2005, 08:34 AM

Thanks, yes that is what I figured. I traded a 2000 Ford Superduty and didnt have as much clearance problems as the Dodge, I think it sits quite a bit higher than the ford... I will adjust the gooseneck down a bit for clearance.. easier than moving a 5 strand barbedwire.
Old 07-27-2005, 08:53 AM

Originally posted by Festus
Steve, this hitch you're speaking of, does it pivot sideways on a centre pin, or does it have a curved slide (or saddle) underneath the fifth wheel plate itself?

Kerry

Hi Kerry, my Reese 20k is just the standard anvil that Reese uses, it pivots on a center pin. The EasyRider Air Ride base is a seperate setup to the hitch. You can use any anvil that will fit on this hitch base. I like it, but I do it for a livin, different than someone wants to do anything else with their truck.

Cheers,
Steve J
Old 07-27-2005, 06:11 PM

I have a gooseneck and fiver as well. I think the gooseneck is tighter and is alot stronger, even the gooseneck hitch is stronger. Two things I like the fiver for are: 10 times easier to hook up, and the fifth wheel has less flex in the front. The gooseneck is much stronger I believe. Sits lower to the frame, and the mount is beefier. Whatever you get, make it fit your application. I have never had a problem with both.
Old 07-28-2005, 06:33 AM

Originally posted by ridofpwrstroke
I have a gooseneck and fiver as well. I think the gooseneck is tighter and is alot stronger, even the gooseneck hitch is stronger. Two things I like the fiver for are: 10 times easier to hook up, and the fifth wheel has less flex in the front. The gooseneck is much stronger I believe. Sits lower to the frame, and the mount is beefier. Whatever you get, make it fit your application. I have never had a problem with both.
Choose your words carefully,there are experts (ha-ha) ready and willing to take you to the mat on this thread !!!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-23-2017, 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by sherman
There is no difference in forward /backward motion or side to side motion between the gooseneck to a 5th wl,if you are experiencing a difference then you have a mechanical problem with your setup.
Oh yes, there is a difference in your motion. To be honest, if you think there isn't a difference you haven't took the fifth wheel off road. I'd go w the gooseneck. You can haul more weight. And if you drive off into a rugged campground, you'll wish you had the gooseneck if you had the fifth wheel.

Quick Reply: Gooseneck vs. Kingpin