Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   Towing and Hauling / RV (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/towing-hauling-rv-95/)
-   -   Gooseneck vs. Kingpin (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/towing-hauling-rv-95/gooseneck-vs-kingpin-71634/)

sday 06-30-2005 11:11 AM

Gooseneck vs. Kingpin

I did a search on "Goose" and "King" and didn't see a thread related to this. I've been having discussions whith some friends about Gooseneck vs. KingPin.

Any thoughts?

I'm a complete novice with respect to this topic, but so far the only info I've been able to get is...

1. The Gooseneck setup allows more articulation if you need to take the trailer off-road. Assuming the width of the neck doesn't interfere with the bed of the truck.

2. King Pin hitch is more stout. Although my buddy with the 30k# BMW gooseneck disagrees.

Any other thoughts?

Thanks
-Steve

gunracer1 06-30-2005 11:14 AM

well a lot of the areas that i go rock crawling are not what you would call rv friendly. so the gooseneck is the only option for me.

pappyman 06-30-2005 11:20 AM

A gooseneck hitch is rated for 30,000 lbs compared to 16-24 K on a 5th wheel.....this is why most equipment trailers are either Goosenecks or Pintel hitches on GVWR of over 18,000 lbs so they can carry the weight.....Ive seen a few equipment trailers with 5th wheel hitches but never a GVWR of over 18,000 lbs with this setup

RustyJC 06-30-2005 11:20 AM

Are you going to be towing an RV? If so, try a search on "gooseneck adapter" here and on RV-specific forums such as iRV2.com. If you want an RV with a gooseneck hitch, you either (1.) need to have one designed and built in that configuration or (2.) should get the RV manufacturer's written authorization (for warranty protection) should you use a gooseneck adapter on a 5th wheel pin box.

The gooseneck adapter acts like a cheater pipe that increases the moments (torsional forces) being applied to the 5th wheel pinbox. A number of users have reported severe frame damage as the gooseneck adapter generated forces sufficient to begin tearing the pinbox from the 5th wheel frame. A gooseneck trailer is designed for these higher forces (look at the amount of material supporting the hitch and tying back into the main trailer frame) - a 5th wheel is not.

Caveat emptor!!! :rolleyes:

Rusty

4x4dually 06-30-2005 11:37 AM

Steve, I didn't see any comment on whether you are going to pull RV's or equipment trailers. The gooseneck if more standard but then everyone that has a gooseneck ball want to borrow your trailers! I'd still go with the goosneck. More versatile, parts are cheaper, and the off road thing is a must around here. I can cross almost any terrace in my pasture with my flatbed and not crush the tailgate. I've touched it before, but not dented it, at least not with the trailer. Also, fill out your signature so we can see what truck you have. This is very important when selecting the brand and model of hitch to install. Don't skimp on quality for price. Buy the strongest, most dependable hitch you can. Everyone's lives on the road depend on your hitch not releasing a trailer in front of them! Good luck.

sday 06-30-2005 12:23 PM

Thanks again for all the info. To answer the trailer type, let me put a little more info than that, some of you might have some more tips for me. (I've been a member of this site for a couple hours and already invaluable)

Here's the background. I live in Oregon (read hills, and haven't decided on an axle ratio yet) and have a job that takes me to the Bay Area several times a month. Since I have to go down there anyway, I am going to buy an 05 Dodge Ram 3500 DRW LB Diesel and a Car Hauler/Cargo Trailer. I need to get a non-sloped trailer so I can carry cargo down and cars back. So far I'm leaning towards:

http://www.suncountrytrailers.com/3or4cartrailers.html

The 53' Drop Deck trailer with an empty weight of approx 6500#. GVW 21,000#

So that's the deal. No truck yet, but will add it to the signature once aquired. Does anyone know if buying the truck near the assembly plant would eliminate a destination charge? I'll have to drive to AZ, to get the trailer anyway, and airfare for me is free so I'm trying to minimize truck price.

Thanks again,
-Steve

RickCJ 06-30-2005 07:19 PM

I'd get the 5th wheel for that size trailer, yes they make heavy 5th wheels. The 5th is easier to hook up. You won't be taking a 53' trailer where you need much articulation. The 5th pulls and rides better. I had a 5th, now a goose, wish I had the 5th back. Soon!

Patrick Campbell 06-30-2005 10:12 PM

Originally posted by sday
Thanks again for all the info. To answer the trailer type, let me put a little more info than that, some of you might have some more tips for me. (I've been a member of this site for a couple hours and already invaluable)

Here's the background. I live in Oregon (read hills, and haven't decided on an axle ratio yet) and have a job that takes me to the Bay Area several times a month. Since I have to go down there anyway, I am going to buy an 05 Dodge Ram 3500 DRW LB Diesel and a Car Hauler/Cargo Trailer. I need to get a non-sloped trailer so I can carry cargo down and cars back. So far I'm leaning towards:

http://www.suncountrytrailers.com/3or4cartrailers.html

The 53' Drop Deck trailer with an empty weight of approx 6500#. GVW 21,000#

So that's the deal. No truck yet, but will add it to the signature once aquired. Does anyone know if buying the truck near the assembly plant would eliminate a destination charge? I'll have to drive to AZ, to get the trailer anyway, and airfare for me is free so I'm trying to minimize truck price.

Thanks again,
-Steve

sday, How much do those trailers cost?

If you are on the road all the time I see no reason to get a gooseneck BUT you might have a hard time finding a 5th wheel hitch for a pick up truck heavy duty enough for your needs... (?)

To me it seems like goosenecks are less stable and were created for people who go need to take trailers on grass, bumpy/uneven surfaces, etc.

sherman 07-01-2005 06:17 AM

Originally posted by njoverkill
sday, How much do those trailers cost?

If you are on the road all the time I see no reason to get a gooseneck BUT you might have a hard time finding a 5th wheel hitch for a pick up truck heavy duty enough for your needs... (?)

To me it seems like goosenecks are less stable and were created for people who go need to take trailers on grass, bumpy/uneven surfaces, etc.

I have both gooseneck and fifth wheel and have pulled dump trs as well as horse tr as well as deck trs and experience NO difference between the two modes in hauling,the fifth wheel is easier to attach- dettach because you don't have to be as precise when backing up to hook the pin.Interesting, what does grass have to do with anything?

RickCJ 07-01-2005 08:06 AM

Originally posted by RickCJ
I'd get the 5th wheel for that size trailer, yes they make heavy 5th wheels. The 5th is easier to hook up. You won't be taking a 53' trailer where you need much articulation. The 5th pulls and rides better. I had a 5th, now a goose, wish I had the 5th back. Soon!

I'll make it clearer, the gooseneck has a lot more forward/backward motion and side/side motion than a 5th wheel does. The truck will bounce to the right and the trailer will bounce to the left. This is good on bumpy uneven terrain but is not good ride or handling on the highway. There is a big differance. Yes they make heavy duty 5th wheels, all big rigs use them!

pappyman 07-01-2005 09:19 AM

The thing to remember with a 5th wheel is to have a 5th wheel hitch rated for at lease or more then the GVWR of the trailer

IE: a 21000 GVWR trailer should have a 24k 5th wheel hitch......unlike a gooseneck hitch which is rate for 30000 Gross with a 6000 lbs tongue weight

I've had both style trailers and I prefer a gooseneck......I have no problem lining up and hooking to my gooseneck and I also like to still use my bed when not hooked to a trailer by folding under my hitch ball

sherman 07-01-2005 05:30 PM

Originally posted by RickCJ
I'll make it clearer, the gooseneck has a lot more forward/backward motion and side/side motion than a 5th wheel does. The truck will bounce to the right and the trailer will bounce to the left. This is good on bumpy uneven terrain but is not good ride or handling on the highway. There is a big differance. Yes they make heavy duty 5th wheels, all big rigs use them!
There is no difference in forward /backward motion or side to side motion between the gooseneck to a 5th wl,if you are experiencing a difference then you have a mechanical problem with your setup.

Patrick Campbell 07-01-2005 05:44 PM

I think what people mean is that a trailer hooked up via a gooseneck can tilt NOT in unison with the truck where'as a 5th wheel cannot. By nature of the ball it's going to do that. To me, on the road, this is just instabililty. What is the point. I don't agree that 5th and goose are equals. They have their different purposes. My thought is that on road a 5th is going to be more stable.

kingofdodge7131 07-01-2005 09:18 PM

Originally posted by sherman
There is no difference in forward /backward motion or side to side motion between the gooseneck to a 5th wl,if you are experiencing a difference then you have a mechanical problem with your setup.

The only way a 5ver can move the close to the same as a goose is if you have a flexing plate. Some come with tilts. but if you were to use like what is on a semi ( direct mount) there isnt near the articulation

sherman 07-02-2005 06:15 AM

Originally posted by njoverkill
I think what people mean is that a trailer hooked up via a gooseneck can tilt NOT in unison with the truck where'as a 5th wheel cannot. By nature of the ball it's going to do that. To me, on the road, this is just instabililty. What is the point. I don't agree that 5th and goose are equals. They have their different purposes. My thought is that on road a 5th is going to be more stable.
Let's put it this way for discussion purposes,On the interstate highway at 70 mph and loaded,there is no difference pulling the gooseneck compared to a 5th wheel, I have pulled both,and I am talking the same trailer,loaded,in both configurations for several 1000's of mi's.I have resently gone exclusively gooseneck because I had a 5th wheel open up and dropped the trailer,thank the Lord that I was on a back road at the time doing no more than 20mph( who says there is no such thing as luck),I couldn't figure out way the mechanism failed,I had been on the Interstate doing 75 mph 15 minutes before,it gave me a good scare,I can't trust that 5th wheel again.