Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

gooseneck to fifth-wheel coupler question & newbie advice

Old 10-21-2009, 11:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
gooseneck to fifth-wheel coupler question & newbie advice

Hi all,

First the background: We've got a 2005 Ram 2500 SB Extended cab - had it for a couple months now. We haul anywhere from 4-6000 lbs of cargo two times/month to do deliveries to retail stores. There's a fair amount of downtown driving and tight areas to get around and we usually do close to 2000 kms each trip (4000kms/month). Up to now we've been towing a 24' tag but we're exceeding our payload capacity and have to upgrade to a larger trailer.

The truck came with a nice hijacker fifth-wheel super slide hitch pictured here: http://www.hijacker.com/pages/fifthw.../24-ULS-16.htm We've decided that a gooseneck/fifth-wheel trailer is the way to go so we're purchasing a 34' gooseneck cargo trailer on Saturday. Now here's where the questions start:

Since we already have a nice and expensive fifth-wheel hitch installed in the truck, would it be more cost effective to simply get a gooseneck to fifth-wheel coupler like the one at the bottom of the page here: http://www.hitchcorner.com/fifth-wheel-hitch.htm and utilize our current hitch? Keep in mind - we have a short bed.
Would it be safer to actually get rid of the fifth-wheel and install a gooseneck hitch? We won't be towing anything else besides the gooseneck trailer at this point in time (no fifth-wheel camper, etc)

I've been scouring the forums here for the last couple days and have found countless information here - but we're running out of time now... We have lots of experience towing tag trailers but never a GN/5ver so any hints, tips, tricks would be greatly appreciated. TIA!
Old 10-21-2009, 12:12 PM

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
I would just get a 5th wheel hitch trailer instead of the 2 5/16 ball gooseneck. Many manufacturers make their gooseneck trailers for the 2 5/16 ball or a 5ver pin. This way you can keep your hitch and save your money.
Old 10-21-2009, 12:29 PM

Thanks for the tip, but the trailer we're buying is a previously enjoyed one :-) so there's no option to get it with the 5th wheel hitch. We've looked high & low to find a fifth-wheel cargo within our budget and they are next to impossible to find short of having one built to specs so unfortunately, that's not an option at this point - it's either get a coupler or install a gooseneck hitch - and I'm just not sure what is the better route.
Old 10-21-2009, 12:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I believe you can get a gooseneck adapter to mount to the rails in your bed. I've used the Reese for several years and had no problems. Looks like this:

http://www.etrailer.com/pc-GNH~6002.htm
Old 10-21-2009, 01:26 PM

The gooseneck adapter you linked me to will not work with the hijacker rails in my truck, unfortunately. Seems my "great" fifth-wheel hitch isn't so great after all!!
Old 10-21-2009, 02:17 PM
Proprietor of Fiver's Inn and Hospitality Center

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
Your fifth wheel hitch IS great after all. You don't want a short bed hauling a trailer that is attached in the bed unless it is a highly tapered front, not square unless you have a slider hitch. You will live to regret it. Try to configure the trailer to your existing hitch.

Bob
Old 10-21-2009, 02:24 PM

Here's the trailer that we're getting - the front is tapered, but I don't know if it would be considered greatly...
Old 10-21-2009, 02:40 PM
DTR Advertiser

Putnam used to make an excellent gooseneck to fifth wheel converter, but I don't think they exist anymore. If you need a good slider fifth wheel let me know.
Old 10-21-2009, 05:41 PM

If it were mine , I would use the adapter you linked to at the bottom of the page. Tapered corners will help but if all else fails , Use the slider feature that you have.
Old 10-22-2009, 10:01 AM

Thanks for the advice! I think we're going to try the coupler option and keep our slider hitch. I just have to be able to find one in the next 24 hours! ha!
Old 10-22-2009, 04:17 PM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
You would have to measure to know for sure, but I think that trailer's corners are cropped enough that you won't have any issues.

I'd either use the adapter in the link you provided, or weld one up.
Old 10-24-2009, 06:41 AM

The item at teh bottom of the page is not and "adapter", it's a coupler, you will have to remove your existing gooseneck coupler and replace with the one pictured (but with square tubing).
Usually most of newer trailer have a replaceable coupler, just unbolt it and slide the new one in place.
5th wheel hitch will give less trailer twist than gooseneck, but you will have the hitch taking a lot of room in your bed.