Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

Good LT tire for big 5th wheel?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2014, 02:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've decided to stop f'ing around with these POS 15" tires on my 5th wheel toyhauler (they keep failing) and go to 16" wheels and LT tires.

For wheels, I have two choices... cheap steelies for $60 each (shipped), or some nice looking 7-spoke aluminum wheels (trailer-specific) for $130 each (shipped). I'm leaning towards the steelies because the trailer is a 2006 and at this point, really, who cares what it looks like anymore? I keep it nice, but the fiberglass is yellowing from sun exposure and they say there's nothing you can do about it short of replacing it ($$$$$). I will be keeping it for a long time because I live in it fulltime.

Tire-wise, I have many choices. In the 235/85-16 size, prices range from $106 ea. to $273 ea. On the low end we have Kumhos. I've used Kumho tires many times and always had good luck with them, but they were on cars, not trucks. On the high end we have the Michelin XPS Rib. This would be my first choice, but holy crap these things are costly! Stepping down a few notches, there's a nice looking Bridgestone Rib that gets good reviews too.

My biggest worry about a Rib tire is wet weather traction. I won't be traveling in it much, but it could happen. Then again, the fuel mileage is supposed to go up a bit with a rib over a regular tire, and I need all the help I can get there. I get 9-10 mpg now, depending on terrain and wind.

On my truck, I have Michelin LTX M/S tires that I put on a year ago and love them. That was $1700 that was hard to swallow.

Thoughts?

Rob
Old 01-20-2014, 03:58 PM

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
I love the Michelin XPS ribs worth every penny so far, you can get them at Costco but must be ordered. I have aluminum rims on my trailer and while they are much lighter and look nicer than steel I know they won't take a pounding like a steel rim will.
Old 01-20-2014, 07:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
id say if you can swing it

19.5 ricksons (if you have 8 lug hubs on your trailer) and commercial tires... not cheap, but best insurance if you want, just short of 17.5 rims and tires...

ive had good luck with Carlisle trailer tires before too, those are cheaper than commercial tires....

and on 16s IIRC, you can get up to load range G trailer tires at discount tire...
Old 01-20-2014, 08:04 PM

Yeah, that's not gonna happen. I looked into the 17.5" avenue, and that's just waaaaaaay more money than I'm gonna spend. New hubs would be needed for sure (mine are 6x5.5). 16's will be fine with a good LT tire.

Carlisle huh? Funny you should mention those pieces of garbage. The trailer came with them. ALL SIX of them delaminated on my first long trip. The only replacements I could get while away were more f'ing Carlisles. So seven new ones since I went up to Load Range E. Three of them popped and three more started to come apart before replacing them with the current tires (Greenballs).

Now one of these new ones (only 1000 miles on it) is showing signs of delamination, so I'm done. I'm putting real tires on this thing so I don't have to worry about it anymore.

Rob
Old 01-20-2014, 09:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ive had isues with tires on my TH as well. The stockers all went to crap rite away and I replaced them with what teh tire shop recomended. A Power king that looked exactly like a Goodyear Marathon. They said it was just as good but cheaper. Those dident last any better than the stockers. Now I have Good Year Marathons on and they have a lot of miles and several years on them and I cant hardly tell they have any miles on them. They are wearing awsome and should last now longer than I plan to keep the camper.
Old 01-21-2014, 03:22 AM

Here's my toy hauler and tires.
Bridgestone Duravis R250 commercial truck LT tires.

I mind-effed this tire decision for far too long.
100% positive reviews on all the RV sites...and those old bastards complain about everything.

It's basically similar to the Goodyear G614 (except E rated not G rated) and Michelin XP Ribs - it's a heavy 60 lb. tire, full steel cap & regroovable highway tread pattern - but a bit more affordable at around $200/tire.
Attached Thumbnails Good LT tire for big 5th wheel?-photo-aug-31-4-42-04-pm.jpg   Good LT tire for big 5th wheel?-1184999_10201186093032050_11246920_n.jpg  
Old 01-21-2014, 08:21 AM

I stayed with 15" trailer tires this time. For about $112 each I went with the Maxxis 8008 Marathons (had to be ordered by Discount). They are supposed to be speed rated, whereas other trailer tires aren't. They are radials too, so they won't like sitting for extended stays of more than 3 months as most radials get flat spots from that. My toyhauler came with load range D and I went with load range E for insurance against tire overloading. Current weight is 9,400 lbs loaded with an EZ Go shuttle cart @ 1,200 lbs and trailer max gross is 13,200 with only 2 axles and 4 tires on the ground.

Good luck shopping.
Old 01-21-2014, 11:14 AM

^^^ ST tires are 65 mph speed rated.

LT tires typically carry a Q speed rating - 99mph

A tire's load capacity drops as speeds increase.

Since a tire's load capacity is at the rated speed, if you're at an ST tire's load rating, you are literally at the design limit when traveling 65 mph down the highway.

If you're at an LT tire's stated load rating, it's not at it's design limit until it reaches 99 mph.

That's why crappy ST tires can have a high load rating - the rated speed is significantly lower, so the tires' construction is less robust.

Just compare the weight of any ST tire, to a comparable LT tire. The LT tire will always weigh significantly more due to a more robust construction.
Old 01-21-2014, 01:28 PM
Proprietor of Fiver's Inn and Hospitality Center

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
This story has been argued and misquoted so many times I will make my statement short and to the point. Moving to 16" rims gives you lots of options. I agree many ST tires are crap - - so are a bunch of cars - - I still drive one. Not all ST tires are the same. I moved to the Goodyear G614. Very happy. Pick it up and compare it to the LT tire, same size - - no comparison - - much heavier. Speed rating is not 65 - - you check it out. I had a long conversation with an engineer at Goodyear after having two of their LT blow and cause damage on my fiver. Been very happy with the G's. Rim must support 110# tire pressure. Goodyear is fantastic standing behind their product, much better the Michelin - - how do I know? Ask my wallet to the tune of over $8000 damage from a blown Michelin they would not cover, plus another $2500 on another rig - - again, same story, no help. Goodyear paid every penny on two blown LT's with no questions.

Bob
Old 01-21-2014, 03:14 PM

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
Just curious if the Michelin's that blew were XPS ribs or LTX's as there is a huge difference between the two. I think the down fall for me with the G614's is the high tire pressure and maintaining it there, plus if you don't need a "G" rated tire why bother with the hassle and expense of changing rims.
Old 01-21-2014, 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by FiverBob
Not all ST tires are the same. I moved to the Goodyear G614. Very happy. Pick it up and compare it to the LT tire, same size - - no comparison - - much heavier. Speed rating is not 65 - - you check it out.
Bob,
The G614 is a trailer tire, but it's not an ST trailer tire.
The ST trailer tire designation is an industry standard, and is specifically rated at 65 mph.

There's no question that hte G614 is a great tire, and Goodyear definitely stands behind them should one ever fail. But jeebus...they're pricey.
Old 01-21-2014, 07:39 PM

Wow.. those G614's are quite the tire. At $333 ea. from Discount, they're a bit more than I can swing, especially since I have to find special wheels to handle the 110 psi.

I think I like pronstar's setup with the Duravis tires. Where'd you get your wheels? I was gonna get the cheap $45/ea steelies over the $130 alums, but if yours are somewhere in between, maybe I'll setup up to those... they're the same style on my trailer now.

Rob
Old 01-21-2014, 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by RobG
I think I like pronstar's setup with the Duravis tires. Where'd you get your wheels? I was gonna get the cheap $45/ea steelies over the $130 alums, but if yours are somewhere in between, maybe I'll setup up to those... they're the same style on my trailer now.

Rob

My trailer came with those, 110-psi-rated aluminum wheels.
The R250 Duravis tires are 80 psi, so finding wheels should be relatively easy.
Old 01-21-2014, 08:43 PM

I have the 2007 Cyclone 3795 model Pronstar Same paint scheme and your tires are exactly what I will get when time comes. Spent a night doing the homework on them. Your rig looks good BTW
Old 01-21-2014, 10:19 PM

Originally Posted by Dodgetracker
I have the 2007 Cyclone 3795 model Pronstar Same paint scheme and your tires are exactly what I will get when time comes. Spent a night doing the homework on them. Your rig looks good BTW

Thanks!
Mine is a 3950, I'm sure they're very similar. She's a great RV, pulls very well despite the weight.

Quick Reply: Good LT tire for big 5th wheel?