Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

Generator Question

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2009, 12:01 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Nothing wrong with Chinese generators. I have a 3500 Champion and it works great, runs the A/C and microwave (not at the same time). But I did buy a used Honda 1000 just because the 3.5kW is too heavy to lug around just to recharge batteries when boondocking.
Old 10-01-2009, 09:45 AM

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts
yeah, i figured since they have a space program they must have some pretty good stuff..........
Old 10-13-2009, 11:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a Yamaha EF3000iseb and I love it. I have about 1000 hours on it. It was not cheap but it has not let me down. I am a believer in buying the highest quality equipment and maintaining it. It is very quiet, always starts quickly and does a good job with the rooftop AC on my trailer. Last year we had a 2 week power outage and I ran the tv, satellite receiver, a window air conditioner, some lights, and the refrigerator in my house. Several people thought the electric was on at my house despite it running next to my garage. It is amazingly quiet. The Hondas are great as well.

I did have a 3000 watt Chinese generator for a while and it was somewhat quiet, but it had dirty electric. It was ok for lights or air conditioner but I wouldn't really want to run any electronics on it.

At work, we have a 5.5 kw Onan (3000 hrs) in one of our tv vans (with a good conditioner) and a Power Tech diesel generator (5000hrs) in the bigger truck. Both of those are good as well. They take a lot of abuse, but rather expensive.
Old 10-14-2009, 12:14 PM

One question that I still have is regarding A/C units. Who has a 15,000BTU A/C unit and what size generator are you using? Every time I hear about someone using a A/C after further investigation it's one of the older and smaller 12,000 BTU units.

My only real need for a generator at this time is to power my 5th wheels A/C while we're cleaning it at the end of a trip. The RV gets very hot and I want to cool it down. Since I live in a neighborhood I also want a quiet one, but cost is also an issue. I'm pretty darn sure two Honda 2000 units hooked together will provide enough juice, but at $2,000 for the setup it's a bit steep.
Old 10-14-2009, 08:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just plug the unit in at home and dont bother with a geni if thats all your gona do with it. had my budie(an electrician) wire in a RV style outlet in my garage rite next to where I store my camper and I leave it pluged in 24/7 even when Ime not using anything in it, that way its always got power when I need/want it. I garontee you can do that cheaper than the $2000 for a pair of Honda genis.
Old 10-14-2009, 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by bkrukow
Just plug the unit in at home and dont bother with a geni if thats all your gona do with it. had my budie(an electrician) wire in a RV style outlet in my garage rite next to where I store my camper and I leave it pluged in 24/7 even when Ime not using anything in it, that way its always got power when I need/want it. I garontee you can do that cheaper than the $2000 for a pair of Honda genis.
The problem is that I have to park my trailer at the curb. Years ago I brought a 100amp service to my garage and that cost $700. From the garage to the curb would be an additional 50' and it would have to be buried. I may be wrong, but that's going to be at least twice as expensive. At least with a generator I could use it other places. I'm also hoping that I could find a generator for something less than Honda's prices. I first need to determine how many watts I actually need.
Old 10-15-2009, 11:43 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I run 12,5 A/C in my trailer when parked at home with a regular 50' + another 20' 12 gauge Yellow Jacket extension cord and it works just fine. Never had any issues. I use this setup when preparing for a trip (I also run the electric part of the water heater at that time to preheat the water and save propane). I would bet you anything that you don't need 100 amps of 110 VAC to run an A/C unit; need more like 12 amps. Get a Kill-a-Watt and measure what your A/C is pulling. Also, search rv.net, someone has already done that measurement.
Old 10-15-2009, 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by PaulDaisy
I run 12,5 A/C in my trailer when parked at home with a regular 50' + another 20' 12 gauge Yellow Jacket extension cord and it works just fine. Never had any issues. I use this setup when preparing for a trip (I also run the electric part of the water heater at that time to preheat the water and save propane). I would bet you anything that you don't need 100 amps of 110 VAC to run an A/C unit; need more like 12 amps. Get a Kill-a-Watt and measure what your A/C is pulling. Also, search rv.net, someone has already done that measurement.
I tried to run my old TT's A/C with an extension cord a couple of times and I would pop the circuit. The extension cord was a 100' verses the 70' you're using so I suspect your right on the edge.

I don't think I need a 100amp service. I was just pointing out that I had already run a 100amp service to my garage previously at a given cost. Since that service panel is already there I could run a 50amp service from the garage to my curb, but that would be a lot longer of a run done underground which would increase the costs.

Good suggestion about searching RV.net.
Old 10-15-2009, 09:47 PM

Here is update on first time dry camping. Ran Boliy inverter for about 12hr. consumed a little over 1gal. fuel that was running in eco. mode it wouldn't might not used that much but was above 5,000ft.. That was running tv, lights, converter, microwave for about 12min., electric grill one night cooking steak and coffee maker in morning for two days. Never took off eco mode. Neighbor came over and ask are you running a gen. answered yes why and he said that he couldn't hear it until he walked up. Oh ya found a little trick on using water too wash dishes and flushing commode if your camper has a valve and hose that you can put the hose in jug too run antifreeze through lines you can put the hose in a 5gal. water can and turn valve that will take water out of can and not out of fresh water tank.
Old 10-16-2009, 03:44 AM

Originally Posted by ramcneal
One question that I still have is regarding A/C units. Who has a 15,000BTU A/C unit and what size generator are you using? Every time I hear about someone using a A/C after further investigation it's one of the older and smaller 12,000 BTU units.

My only real need for a generator at this time is to power my 5th wheels A/C while we're cleaning it at the end of a trip. The RV gets very hot and I want to cool it down. Since I live in a neighborhood I also want a quiet one, but cost is also an issue. I'm pretty darn sure two Honda 2000 units hooked together will provide enough juice, but at $2,000 for the setup it's a bit steep.
I have an on-board Onan Micro-Quiet 4K watt and a 15,000 btu A/C unit. No problems. I know your not asking about on-board gens but 4,000 watts is 4,000 watts...
Old 10-16-2009, 09:03 AM

I have a 15000 btu air/heat pump, my honda 3000 eu runs it with ease.You can change the capacitor to an easy start for around 15/20 $$ ,if it has issues starting it,They are heavy-150 lbs,so i have it on a slide out on a side bay,wired to a transfer hitch.
Old 12-05-2009, 07:01 AM

The reason Honda Generators cost so much is because they are worth it. If you're going to use it alot or want it quiet when you do use it and want it easy to start. Buy a Honda. If you only need it once in awhile and noise isn't a concern and you don't mind pulling on the rope a few more times something else will do.
Old 12-05-2009, 11:44 AM

Yup. Still say just runa heavy cord. I have my factory 30' cord plus an extra 20' RV style extension cord on that because most campgrounds around here have the power way off in strupid locations. The RV style cord is the same size as the factory cord(dont know the gauge off the top of my head). I never dosconect the 2, they are always hooked together. I run the AC off my garage power and the 50' of cord all the time and its no where near a 100 amp service. Works just fine.
Old 12-05-2009, 03:51 PM

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by bkrukow
Yup. Still say just runa heavy cord. I have my factory 30' cord plus an extra 20' RV style extension cord on that because most campgrounds around here have the power way off in strupid locations. The RV style cord is the same size as the factory cord(dont know the gauge off the top of my head). I never dosconect the 2, they are always hooked together. I run the AC off my garage power and the 50' of cord all the time and its no where near a 100 amp service. Works just fine.
all 30 amp rv cord is 10 gauge
Old 12-05-2009, 09:15 PM

I run a 14,000 ac/heat pump from my Honda eu3000is for over four years now. I also run the charging system for my living quarters from it. The gen runs many hour each week and just keeps running. I have changed the spark plug and air cleaner once, nothing else but oil changes. I run 5w40 oil in it. I did add cables and did away with the little battery and put a group 24 beside it. I have the remote controll for it also. Max use on one tank about 13 hours and part use over 20 hours.

In short I run the crap out of it for over four years, on the truck all night for heat and air, and charge the 1690 ah battery at home each three to four days. If and when it wears out, I will caugh up the 2000 and order another one.