Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

Fiver hitch to ball in bed

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2013, 09:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fiver hitch to ball in bed

I found a dump trailer that has the extension for a ball in the bed of a truck. I have an older style fifth wheel hitch that slides in my bed on two rails along by the wheel wells. Once slid in place my fiver hitch is held in place with four pins. This got me thinking that I could use a square plate and weld tabs to fit in my two slides and add a ball in the center of my square plate. I`am thinking this should be as strong and a safe mood . but I thought I should ask here and see what you all think .
Old 11-24-2013, 10:20 AM

There a company that makes a ball to slide into rails in the bed. I thin Reese, but not sure.
Old 11-24-2013, 11:46 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I have the same setup. I used 1/2" plate and added a doubler for the ball area. I put 8 tabs on my plate because if four are good, them more are better! Works fine. I also added eyes for the chains and breakaway.
Old 11-24-2013, 12:03 PM

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
I think the hitch you are referring to is a DSP (diversified steel products) http://www.dsphitches.com/ that I installed on my 2001, made here in Edmonton they sell a goose hitch that slides right into their rails, I thought it too expensive but viewing it will give an idea how the factory made theirs. I had a car hauler that was a goose hitch I used the goose hitch for parking the trailer on the front hitch of a small 4X4 but I towed the trailer using a 5ver pin and my DSP 5ver hitch. Changing the trailer hitch from goose to 5ver ping was just a matter of sliding the goose pin out and inserting the 5ver pin, I bought a used one for $50.

If I was going to make a goose hitch I would start with a single piece of angle on each side to fit into the hitch rails the same length as the rails, drill the 4 holes for the pins to pass through, weld on the pieces for the pins to slide up and down in then weld in a cross member to carry the 2 5/15 goose ball.
Old 11-24-2013, 03:09 PM

Thanks guys ; I knew I would get great feed back for you guys and now will have my thoughts put into steel and build the hitch as planned . I find it odd my fiver does not have safety chains but the dump trailer does. I wonder why ? weight is not that much different ! can some one enlighten me please ?
Old 11-24-2013, 04:54 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
the gooseneck is considered commercial and must have the chains. several makers of the plates. I have three different brands, each has different ideas on the chains. here is a pix of a accident on one of my rigs in dallas texas, the driver was stopped on the interstate for a fatal accident, a 85 year old lady did not see the traffic was stopped this was also at night. her son was behind her and said she never hit the brakes, she hit the big tex trailer at interstate speed limit. air bag saved her from getting hurt. in fort worth driver noticed the trailer was feeling funny, with a flashlight this is what he found.
Name:  090.jpg
Views: 112
Size:  193.9 KB
Name:  086.jpg
Views: 109
Size:  151.0 KB
Name:  083.jpg
Views: 118
Size:  102.2 KB
Name:  074.jpg
Views: 138
Size:  184.4 KB
Name:  066.jpg
Views: 106
Size:  201.0 KB
Name:  041.jpg
Views: 77
Size:  279.6 KB
Old 11-24-2013, 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by Don T
Thanks guys ; I knew I would get great feed back for you guys and now will have my thoughts put into steel and build the hitch as planned . I find it odd my fiver does not have safety chains but the dump trailer does. I wonder why ? weight is not that much different ! can some one enlighten me please ?
Anything on a ball has to have safety chains whether it's commercial or not. If you convert your 5ver RV to a goose using an adapter you have to use safety chains.
Old 11-24-2013, 10:39 PM

Thanks guys .
Old 11-25-2013, 12:18 PM

get rid of the hitch that uses rails and go with the B&W turnover ball and companion fifth wheel hitch that way you have both hitches all the time i destroyed two rail hitches before i got my B&W
Old 11-25-2013, 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by whiteeye42
get rid of the hitch that uses rails and go with the B&W turnover ball and companion fifth wheel hitch that way you have both hitches all the time i destroyed two rail hitches before i got my B&W
I must admit that I love the B&W turnover goose with the companion 5ver hitch but in some ways the DSP is better if you continually remove and install the hitch plus a much lower cost. The DSP just slides aft out of the tracks once the pins are released and is light enough that it can be lifted off the tailgate as a single unit or left attached to the RV and just drive out from under. Once the hitch is on the ground it has a flat surface that can easily be moved around, the companion has to be placed on a wheeled dolly unless you remove the post each time. The companion is quite heavy and add in the post factor it makes it difficult to get in and out of the truck in one piece without marking up the truck bed unless you use a hoist/loader with a 5ver pin attached to just pick the complete hitch up and out. I do think the B&W turnover and companion in the 2013/14 is the way to go, well done B&W.