Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   Towing and Hauling / RV (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/towing-hauling-rv-95/)
-   -   Finally found the tranny limit (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/towing-hauling-rv-95/finally-found-tranny-limit-55194/)

John H 11-22-2004 12:02 PM

Finally found the tranny limit

I guess I finally found out how much power my truck can comfortably handle this last weekend. I got a chance to pull my trailer down to Virginia, south along I77. This was after Momma had loaded up the trailer with all the goodies for our annual vacation. Before now with this trailer we have only done short runs, but this time we have got to take everything. I think she cleared the house. On one of the long grades, I had to back out of the throttle due to my transmission temperatures starting to climb too high. At one point I saw over 230F on the transmission temp gauge, and that was in third gear. I found that the most boost the transmission could handle for long periods was about 14 psi. I think 13-14 psi is just about what the stock truck is good for, so it looks like Dodge hit it just right. It was a strange feeling being able to play the throttle while watching the temps rise and fall with boost.
Oh well, now hoping I get chance to save enough money for a new transmisssion, before the old one quits.:(

John

RATTLINRAM 11-22-2004 12:37 PM

Good to hear that she didn't give out on you and got you back home. :D
The stock tranny in my 99 didn't care much for the grade climbing Black Mountain on I-40 either. It did not want to stay locked up in 3rd gear and the temps rose fast. :o
The truck really likes the tranny upgrade that I have now and it has made a big difference.

Just remember John,
Talk very, very nice to the truck until you can get it refreshed,,,,,,,,,,,, :D

John H 11-23-2004 06:10 AM

Originally posted by RATTLINRAM
Good to hear that she didn't give out on you and got you back home. :D
:D

Not yet, but I'm still on the road. I have Bill K's telephone number in my pocket just in case I need a transfusion. Still heading south, so at least I'm finished with the hills until I try to come back home. However, by then it should be colder and I maybe won't have a problem.

Driving gently and trying not to upset the old girl

John

Hannibal 11-23-2004 05:03 PM

Is there a way to put a locking TC in the 518 in your '93? I pull 23psi when towing our 5th wheel uphill foot to the floor in O/D and tranny temp doesn't get over 160*F. (pic in gallery at left) It gets hot backing it into the yard though.

DSjockey 11-23-2004 06:47 PM

I have the BD trans cooler with temp switch operated fan, I think it really helps when backing

dalton4 11-24-2004 12:36 AM

John, check your PM.

Ray,IN 11-28-2004 11:29 PM

I suggest an AT fluid flush and total change. I lost the link to a chart showing AT temps and fluid damage, but I seem to remember that 230* cuts the fluid life by nearly 3/4. Are you locking out OD? This will hold AT hill climbing temps down. Do you have a 4" exhaust? that too will greatly improve performance on hills.

SuperGewl 11-29-2004 07:26 AM

Originally posted by Hannibal
Is there a way to put a locking TC in the 518 in your '93? I pull 23psi when towing our 5th wheel uphill foot to the floor in O/D and tranny temp doesn't get over 160*F. (pic in gallery at left) It gets hot backing it into the yard though.
Hannibal, your 05 is a HEMI:confused: Did you add a Turbo to it:confused:
And what really confusses me is why a HEMI for towing a 5VR:confused: :confused:
That is unless you sig info is WRONG[eyecrazy] :confused:

DZLPWR 11-29-2004 05:49 PM

Originally posted by SuperGewl
Hannibal, your 05 is a HEMI:confused: Did you add a Turbo to it:confused:
And what really confusses me is why a HEMI for towing a 5VR:confused: :confused:
That is unless you sig info is WRONG[eyecrazy] :confused:

It looks like his 03' has the vibrator.;)

Hannibal 12-01-2004 03:29 PM

1st three Dodge Cummins trucks were great! The '03 was too except for the driveline. I waited patiently for almost two yrs for a TSB or a fix even if I had to pay for it. I'll be back when Dodge figures out how to put the Cummin's power to the road without bandaids and unusual vibrations. My ring & pinion sounded pretty rough after a 1400 mile trip for thanksgiving. I can't go with a P of SD or Dmax so the thirsty Hemi will do for this time around. I'm very happy with and it's performance both motor and the 5spd tranny. If DC could beef up this 5spd auto for the 610 Cummins, THAT would be sweet! It has a real tow/haul mode with two O/D and two 2nd gear ratios. Just what we need for the Cummins to keep it in it's sweet spot.