Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

DOT officers/ Troopers are not so bad after all.

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2008, 07:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DOT officers/ Troopers are not so bad after all.

Since everybody is always posting the horrible stories about DOT inspections I want now to bring up to the attention that most officers are not that bad.

I've been inspected twice in the last 3 weeks from TN DOT and IN DOT, and graced in KY.

In TN I was driving through a scale and got flagged. Officer inspected everything and got me off with a praise and 2 stickers free pass valid for 90 days.

In IN I've got pulled over from a Trooper and inspected completely again, he found instead I did not have my vehicle/trailer valid inspection, but... since I was inspected by DOT in TN he used that as a valid document, and saved me a fine, and suggested to keep copy of it for 1 year, he also spent time with me answering many questions and discussed a couple of issues, he was really a nice person.

Finally in KY while entering a weight station, I pulled over on side of ramp since I was talking on the phone with a customer. After 5 minutes I was done and moved ahead, Officer flagged me down, asked me to see all paperwork and asked what the heck I was doing stopped on the ramp.... I explained and he let me off clearly stating NOT to do that again, it looked like I was doing/doctoring my logbook or documentation

Well this is my experience lately, I think they are conducting more inspections in these days before end of the year, so beware out there, be legal, and you won't have any problem at all, in fact you might find some nice officers that will help you out.
Old 11-06-2008, 11:05 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I think this experience is more common than not. It is just that people most often write posts when they are mad and upset, and bad word goes much farther than infrequently published good experiences.
Thank you for sharing yours.
Old 11-07-2008, 07:30 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
More inspections...more revenue. Almost every state is having a shortfall in there budget and with the risk of budget cuts they are trying to show there worth by generating more revenue.

In the past 5 years and 800,000 miles I have come across some good and some bad, but I ALWAYS manage to run with good logs and keep my paperwork in order so no worries for me. I also think little things like keeping the windshield clean, the truck looking good, and just being polite helps too.
Old 11-07-2008, 08:46 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
First impressions go along way, just like you have preconceptions about them they have the same about us.

The first sentence out of your mouth can set the tone for the whole meeting.
Old 11-07-2008, 09:23 AM
Top's Younger Twin

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
No two officers can or will interpret the laws/rules the same either. I learned years ago that its best to ask when in doubt because acting dumb or just plain not knowing can get you to the next level with their need to know things.

I was inspected back in late August, everything was fine and while I was being inspected I/we saw three RV haulers go past the scales. The officer knew that I saw them as he has pictures of them on his screens coming across the border...big brother in a big way. I asked why they did not have to stop and his reply was..."They are supposed to stop and for everyone that rolls across, theres at least three that skip the scales." He then said that the big problem is a shortage of man power and that the awareness of some of the common violations with haulers is known. When I got into BC later that day I was asked to report at the port of entry. I took my papers in and told them I had just been inspected. The officer asked if I had a sticker on the windshield and I said yes. He looked at me and laughed and said; "Then why are we stopping you?" I was told I could go. So, once I get inspected in one state or province, does the grace period apply just in that state or province or is it good throughout the states and provinces?

So far I only ran into one officer that was difficult. He started writing me up for no Fire Extinguisher...I had one and told him so. Its mounted in the cab and is a B/C unit. I told him I was going to go get it to show him and he said I could not. I went and got it anyway and the other officer that was in the shack looked at it and let me go with a clean report. Now that makes me wonder what the other guy was trying pull on me.

Scotty
Old 11-07-2008, 03:06 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My biggest grip is that I never get the same answer to a question. If I ask three different officers, I get three different answers. I have also been treated as a annoyance if I dare ask a question. Who the heck do they think pays their wages.
Old 11-07-2008, 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by Scotty

So, once I get inspected in one state or province, does the grace period apply just in that state or province or is it good throughout the states and provinces?

Scotty
A CVSA sticker will be recognized by all states and provinces . However it does not guarantee you will not be reinspected during that 3 month period .
http://www.etrucker.com/content/cvsa...sp?c=decal.asp
Old 11-08-2008, 08:23 AM

No two officers can or will interpret the laws/rules the same either.
Thats a HUGE problem we have as hot shot operators, rv haulers, and car haulers. You read and do what you think is right, then one officer says no do it this way, then the next another, then you get told by one you were right.

And as an rv hauler we fall into the highest amount of gray areas, and every officer has a different opinion on whats right. To honest thats why I avoid scales like the plague, if there was a true set of rules that we could follow and they could follow it would be much better. But that would take away there opportunity to interpret the laws in there favor and ticket us and create revenue.
Old 11-08-2008, 09:55 AM
Top's Younger Twin

Originally Posted by haulin-rv
Thats a HUGE problem we have as hot shot operators, rv haulers, and car haulers.
I have asked several officers in different states and provinces if I would be legal for a sleeper berth in my Mega Cab if I removed the front passenger seat and had the bunk front to back. One guy measured and said yes. Another said no because part of it is in the drivers area. ??? Another said he would not bother me about it. So I never got a definitive answer that gave me a feel good feeling. It does meet and exceed the minimum dimensions and theres a seatbelt in perfect position for a restraint and nobody would be sleeping in there when the truck is moving. oh well just another gray area.

Scotty
Old 11-08-2008, 02:01 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
At least they interpret it differently and at worst, write you up. For a while in Russia the special division of state police was authorized to fire AK-47s at vehicles that did not obey the police waving the wand to pull over. And, all traffic stops were carried out with 2-3 cops, one checking papers and two others with submachine guns at the ready. And if you are unlucky enough to get pulled over, you know you are paying a fine regardless of what certifications you carry, it was sort of a tax whenever the cops ran low on cash.
Old 11-08-2008, 07:41 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by RickG
A CVSA sticker will be recognized by all states and provinces .
The last I knew, Massachusetts was not a subscriber of the CVSA program and didn't honor the process.

Originally Posted by haulin-rv
... if there was a true set of rules that we could follow and they could follow it would be much better.
That was exactly the purpose of the implementation of the CDL fiasco, make everything the same accross the country so that everyone would be on a level playing field. Unfortunately, the Feds, in their ultimate wisdom, let the states do whatever they wanted as long as they followed the minimum level of the rules as set forth by the CDL requirements. So basically, everything is as screwed up as it was before. Each state can still be different from another.

chaikwa.
Old 11-08-2008, 07:49 PM
Top's Younger Twin

Originally Posted by chaikwa
The last I knew, Massachusetts was not a subscriber of the CVSA program and didn't honor the process.

So basically, everything is as screwed up as it was before. Each state can still be different from another.

chaikwa.
Hey, how do you know all this stuff and your just the janitor? J/K

Old 11-08-2008, 08:44 PM

I have asked several officers in different states and provinces if I would be legal for a sleeper berth in my Mega Cab if I removed the front passenger seat and had the bunk front to back. One guy measured and said yes. Another said no because part of it is in the drivers area. ??? Another said he would not bother me about it. So I never got a definitive answer that gave me a feel good feeling. It does meet and exceed the minimum dimensions and theres a seatbelt in perfect position for a restraint and nobody would be sleeping in there when the truck is moving. oh well just another gray area.

Scotty
Well here is the sleeper regs 393.76 on fmcsa site. Read it, read it again and again and see what you think.

http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/rules-regul...ction_toc=1906
Old 11-09-2008, 01:53 AM

Originally Posted by chaikwa

chaikwa.
I kind of doubt that but anybody that wants to confirm it can e-mail the Massachusetts contact and ask him .
http://www.cvsa.org/contactus/lead_agency_contacts.aspx
Old 11-09-2008, 08:51 AM
Banned

I got inspected 3 times in 2 weeks all by Texas DOT. I told the second inspecting officer I just got DOT'ed 2 days ago and he didnt care. The 3rd officer looked at my registration and let me go.

I havent had a level 1 in almost a year now. I keep the traler and truck extremely clean and this seems to help alot.

Quick Reply: DOT officers/ Troopers are not so bad after all.