Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

onan gen question

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2012, 11:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
onan gen question

I have one of the these 3600 series that runs on propane . An i'm wondering if it would help to cut off the gas supply at the tank prior to shut down ? Why well most say its good to start the unit at least once a month an run it under load for 30 min . Sometimes its hard for me to stay on that schedule an my unit is slow too start . I tap on what I believe to be the gas solonoid valve which might be sticking just a guess, Which makes me wonder if shutting off the gas supply would help since theres nothing to run through the system to clean it . I was in hopes that the propane unit would be less trouble with no carburator to gum up . Thanks for any food for thought .
Old 10-19-2012, 06:33 PM

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
I don't have a ton of experience with propane/ng gen sets, but if I were in your shoes I'd try to clean out the gas valve/"carb". There isn't much you can run through a gasoline powered unit that will clean out a gummed up carb either, usually need to pull it apart and clean everything individually.

While it's out bench test it to make sure it opens up properly. Maybe try bleeding the propane line to the valve before starting, if it's more then a few feet from the valve.
Old 10-24-2012, 05:01 PM
Proprietor of Fiver's Inn and Hospitality Center

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
Can't answer about yours, but mine has a prime function. I push the start switch down past off and it will prime and start. I shut my gas off if in storage for long. Sometimes I can be gone a couple months. It will crank some to start, but the prime function really shortens that time.
Bob
Old 10-25-2012, 08:53 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
no on shutting the gas off first. do not worry about starting every 30 days. start it when you need it. use the same engine oil you use in the truck. change oil and filter every 250 hours. a propane system does not need cleaning. about every 15 years the regulator has a diaphragm that gets hard and will need to be replaced
Old 10-27-2012, 09:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks fellows Mine has been hard too start but runs great when it does. But I will say this the battery went dead an I replaced it an it had been well over a month since I started it an it fired right up. So maybe the battery had been weak I thought it was turning over fast enough before , but the new deep cycle does better. I did tap on what I believe to be the LP shut off selinoid anyway it fired. Question though how long do you hold the switch in the prime position ? I thought the book said 30 sec . Have any off you exsperinced the gas shut off valve sticking or going bad ? Thanks for your input this camper is new to me 06 modle.