Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   Towing and Hauling / RV (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/towing-hauling-rv-95/)
-   -   Destroyed my Tailgate (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/towing-hauling-rv-95/destroyed-my-tailgate-99497/)

cincydiesel 04-13-2006 02:03 PM

Destroyed my Tailgate

I almost cried. Last night as I was de-winterizing the 5vr I hooked up the truck and pulled the camper to the middle of my driveway to make things easier. After doing this I disconnected the trailor from the hitch to level the camper but did not move the truck. About an hour later I finished the job and decided to move the camper back. I lowered the camper back down and I proceeded to pull forward "CRASH" the camper fell off the plate and slammed the tailgate and bed rails. The rails held up the camper to my suprise without any damage but the tailgate is destroyed from the "neck" of the king pin. It made me sick to my stomach.. Just thought I share my pain. [yuk] [yuk]

P.J 04-13-2006 02:07 PM

Ah, man I feel your pain. Sucks when stuff like that happens. Not much that can be done, we all screw up, thats for sure. :rolleyes:

Danderson 04-13-2006 02:22 PM

Ford bed rails destroyed

Originally Posted by cincydiesel
I almost cried. Last night as I was de-winterizing the 5vr I hooked up the truck and pulled the camper to the middle of my driveway to make things easier. After doing this I disconnected the trailor from the hitch to level the camper but did not move the truck. About an hour later I finished the job and decided to move the camper back. I lowered the camper back down and I proceeded to pull forward "CRASH" the camper fell off the plate and slammed the tailgate and bed rails. The rails held up the camper to my suprise without any damage but the tailgate is destroyed from the "neck" of the king pin. It made me sick to my stomach.. Just thought I share my pain. [yuk] [yuk]

:) Don't fret,a guy at work pulled out from his fifth wheeler not realizing the jacks were not engaged and the weight of the 5yr destroyed both bed rails. Body shop says cheaper to go with a new bed which my co-worker agreed to do. Only bad part was $500.00 deductable. Cheer up,nobody was hurt and tailgates are always available from members inexpensively!

staarma 04-13-2006 02:25 PM

My tailgate is dented as well. The front v-ramp on my snowmobile trailer fell on it. :rolleyes:

At least you didn't get hurt. The next ding won't hurt so bad now. [whistle]

Mcmopar 04-13-2006 02:33 PM

It is a truck!!

gccappy 04-13-2006 05:21 PM

ouch

Dont feel bad,my friend dropped his Titanium on his truck. Got the bed and the cab.

ncmech 04-14-2006 12:38 AM

That's one of the reasons I quit drinking a few years ago. Kept banging my truck with the excavator. :-)

White00 04-14-2006 08:05 AM

I am so parinoid of doing this that whenever I pull our gooseneck I take the tail gate off! My neighbor was using the trailer one day, came back, unhooked, pulled out, BAM didn't let the gate down. Now he has a C shaped tailgate......

ADAM

abc4yew 04-14-2006 08:44 AM

Yep, I've come so close a few times so now my original tailgate is in the loft of the tool shed. [eyecrazy] My custom tail gate is only aluminum but I did the same with it and it just bent the locking pin on one side not a mark on the tailgate. :) ks

DetroitDiesel71 04-14-2006 10:45 AM

Well I think it gives you some cool character., sorry to hear about that man. At least you were not hurt, the truck to one for the team.

farmer dave 04-14-2006 12:49 PM

Yeah, I have heard of this happening alot to people that aren't used to hauling much. It sucks, but at least it was just the tail gate!

Timberman 04-14-2006 02:39 PM

I've got matching big Edit dents in my rear bumper, on each side, from the tool box mounted on my dad's equipment trailer. Little short trailer tongue doesn't give a man enough room to back it up and turn as it is, and he sticks this big ugly box on there. He was more worried about the toolbox than my bumper.

BigBlue 04-14-2006 02:56 PM

I've got a dent on my tailgate from where my dad ran over it with his corvette.

staarma 04-14-2006 03:26 PM

That corvette must have one helluva lift under it. :D

I know I know it was off and laying on the floor when he did it. [coffee]

ptm600 04-14-2006 03:40 PM

When my truck was about 3 months old, a 4" diameter by 20' long limb fell out of a tree in my yard and landed on the truck. Dented the tailgate top and rolled off the side of the bed and put some nice scratches down the bedside. My wife was more upset than me. which I couldn't believe, because she's always complaining about how anal I am about my truck.