Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

commercial vehicle questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2009, 09:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
best way to avoid them is late at nite or early in the morning or so they say wouldnt know anything about avoiding them lol
Old 04-08-2009, 09:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for all the info.

Looking at this and deciding what to do.

1) Log book is no problem.
2) Med card should not be a problem either I don't think?
3) What are the implications of getting a DOT number? By that I mean if I get one does it make for any other problems for me?
Old 04-08-2009, 10:07 PM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
I'm guessing your truck and/or trailer are marked with your business name on the side. If not, I would think it would be easy enough to say you went to help out a friend in OK and it was unpaid work and a personal trip.

Going full commercial does seem to be a lot of work/expense for a limited number of trips across the river.
Old 04-08-2009, 11:44 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by rich
if you are hauling your own equipment and getting paid for using said equipment then it is commercial. when you say combo of 26k that is for drivers liscense and dot the fed regs say anything total gvw over 10k wether single or combo is usdot. it doesnt matter if its personal or not he is using them to make money same as if i took my tractor to a job and made money with it it doesnt have anything to do with hauling for someone at this point. i deal with this stuff on a daily basis because oif my company operations. his job was a contract not a continuios job also which changes it. got my first dot ticket hauling a backhoe that was mine for a job i was doing thing i was doing the job for someone and getting paid, therefore it made me commercially obligated. look at rule 390.5 article 1 under definition under commercial vehicles
Yup! I just went through this same thing last week . But I got a DOT that was real nice and explained things very clearly . even weighed my truck and trailer for me to show me and make sure I was legal .gave me a list of what was needed ...CA# MCP # name on ether truck or trailer ETC. best of all no ticket. there are still good public servants out there who help rather then give tickets. Not gona fight the system anymore just play the game
Old 04-09-2009, 06:58 AM

Dot

I just went through this last summer in Ia.
I am now legal,they go by your combined weight,you have 2 no 3 options ditch your trailer & put all the stuff in the truck,get a camper as someone else mentioned & you'll be good tilll you get in an accident or# 3 what I did get DOT#,Med Card,fire extingishers,first aid kit,get truck & trailer inspected.
Now I don't have to drive around looking over my shoulder.
get DOT# here; http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/
HTH,
Bob
Old 04-09-2009, 07:13 AM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by bdog
Really I am just trying to figure out what to do as I have to go back to OK next week.
Just do all the DOT stuff that they asked you to. After a while, you'll get used to getting all your money taken away from you by the government and you won't think it's any big deal! Seriously tho, it all seems like a lot of confusing hoops to jump thru, but it's not all that bad. It's all unfamiliar to you at this point, but after you get all the stuff together and submit it, it'll seem like you've forgotten something.

They said combined weight rating of over 10k is what got me.
They are correct. It is the RATING, not the actual weight.

As far as the consequences I was just wondering if there was any provisions for repeat violations, etc. The trooper really was polite and friendly about the whole deal. I think he believed me that I had no idea about these laws and he gave me a break on a couple things. There were a total of 21 violations he found but he only gave me three tickets. I was just worried if I got caught again next week if it would not be worse.
You'll never get everything you need in a week, so I'd get what you are able to and keep the paperwork in the truck with you to show you're making the proper efforts. The DOT number is pretty much instant if you do it on the internet, but it may take you awhile to get the truck lettered, get a physical for your medical card, etc.

1) Log book is no problem.
2) Med card should not be a problem either I don't think?
3) What are the implications of getting a DOT number? By that I mean if I get one does it make for any other problems for me?
Not really if you are 'legal' to begin with. You'll have to keep records of all the stuff you're supposed to have anyway, ie; the med card, your driving history, maintenance records on the truck, etc., but beyond that it's no big deal. I've had my number since the early 80's when they first came out, and with a recent re-registration I was told I would probably be audited to make sure all my paperwork is in order, but I have yet to receive notification of that audit, and that was 7 or 8 years ago.

Originally Posted by rebal
Yup! I just went through this same thing last week . But I got a DOT that was real nice and explained things very clearly . even weighed my truck and trailer for me to show me and make sure I was legal .gave me a list of what was needed ...CA# MCP # name on ether truck or trailer ETC. best of all no ticket. there are still good public servants out there who help rather then give tickets. Not gona fight the system anymore just play the game
That's the way it should be. They'd make more money and have safer/more legal vehicles on the road if they'd change their approach a little.

Originally Posted by sewman
I just went through this last summer in Ia.
I am now legal,they go by your combined weight,you have 2 no 3 options ditch your trailer & put all the stuff in the truck,get a camper as someone else mentioned & you'll be good tilll you get in an accident or# 3 what I did get DOT#,Med Card,fire extingishers,first aid kit,get truck & trailer inspected.
Now I don't have to drive around looking over my shoulder.

get DOT# here; http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/
HTH,
Bob
It wasn't a big deal to do all that, was it?

chaikwa.
Old 04-09-2009, 10:12 AM

No,it's not a big deal just a pita ,but I did get stopped once & got warned 6 yrs ago & pd some $$ then & now since they are crackin down.
They do have a selfhelp test you can take @ the site (http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/ )that is supposed to tel you if you need# or not I took it & it said NO!?!?
But I know it's wrong since I'm hauling my merchandise across state lines & selling it f/$$ & MY COMBINED WEIGHT IS OVER 10k!
Bob
Old 04-09-2009, 01:59 PM

Same crap happened to me in my bucket truck just after the last hurricane.
DOT stopped me and said he was going to red tag me for no DOT # on my truck. I argued with him and asked to speak to his supervisor. Supervisor showed up and I explained that it was my PERSONAL truck and tools, and I have the right to travel. The supervisor agreed with me as my truck, registration and insurance were all in my name.
I would fight it, you have the right to travel, and your tools are for your use, as is your truck.
Old 04-09-2009, 04:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
its only for your use if its for you if someone is paying for your services or tools then its a different story
Old 04-09-2009, 06:35 PM

gdh11,Even though your towing cars for your own lot your hauling f/commerce
(your in the car biz) this requires DOT# & all the other regs when you go over state lines,you can do one of 2 things look @ this site http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/

OR let the friendly DOT officer explain it all to you like he has to me along w/a couple of tickets.
Old 04-09-2009, 08:53 PM
Administrator

No,it's not a big deal just a pita...
I'll give you THAT!

They do have a selfhelp test you can take @ the site (http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/ )that is supposed to tel you if you need# or not I took it & it said NO!?!?
That's a test I'd take, print it out and have it with me in my truck. Just because I work for them doesn't mean I agree with everything they say. More people need to hold them more accountable for ALL this stuff. You can ask 20 enforcement officers the same question and get 20 different answers, and it not the officers fault. Some of it is the way they were taught, some of it is the state they work for and some of it is left to their interpretation. It NEEDS to be the same across the board, everywhere. This is something that's being worked on but God only knows when (if) that'll ever happen.

Originally Posted by gdh11
It would be nice for them to have one set of rules for every state and stop chagning them so we can all be on the same sheet of music.
I agree. The inception of the CDL rules was SUPPOSED to do just that, but you can all see how well that worked out!

I'm supposed to be hauling our fire safety trailer from Michigan to Massachusetts this coming fall. I'll be doing that with a truck that has a GVWR of 33,000lbs. The trailer weighs about 12,000lbs. I'm legal for the most part, but I'm out of compliance on a few things, but then again, it's all non-profit, (a 501 c-3 corporation), so no money changes hands and there IS no profit being made and no goods being transported. If nothing else, I ought to have a good story or two to tell when I'm done!

chaikwa.
Old 04-10-2009, 04:11 AM

I think that is a big problem here state laws & federal laws,
When I was stopped in Ia by a state cop I doubt if he knew as much as I did about the law,he had to keep calling & asking questions all the time.
So it looks like the state can enforce federal laws on us to when your towing & over the 10K limit.

chaikwa, Can't you haul that load sooner I can't wait to hear what happens.
ROMFLMA,Bob
Old 04-10-2009, 05:48 AM
Administrator

I think that is a big problem here state laws & federal laws, So it looks like the state can enforce federal laws on us to when your towing & over the 10K limit.
Well, the state HAS to enforce Federal law, there's no leeway on that. But what's muddying the waters is the Feds let the states make the Federal laws more stringent if they want to. Or add to them. But at a minimum, they have to enforce what the Feds give them to begin with.

chaikwa, Can't you haul that load sooner I can't wait to hear what happens.
It's not a L O A D!

chaikwa.
Old 04-10-2009, 07:09 PM

If its your personal truck and trailer you do not need CDL or DOT or FMCSA!
390.3(f)(3)

I used to worry about this crap till I was shown this exemption. I only haul my stuff occasionally.

Quick Reply: commercial vehicle questions