Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

Class C Motorhome

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2015, 09:03 PM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Class C Motorhome

The wife and I would like to move from a TT to a class C, but I have reservations. Ford has a stranglehold on these and use an E450 chassis on what we are looking at. The V10 gasser may be a good engine, but I have been spoiled by my Ram with a HO Cummins. I am not sure if I want to hear the engine screaming while searching for torque when I am used to 2X the torque just off idle with the Cummins. It sure would be nice if someone built a class C on a Ram diesel chassis. Maybe I will just wait.
Old 04-22-2015, 09:37 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Dodge doesn't offer a full size van with a Cummins so you won't see a class C with a Cummins. I have seen quite a few Sprinter chassis RVs if you want a diesel option other than Ford.

My sister has a Class C V10 Ford. It does fine but she rarely tows anything behind it.

If you want a Cummins in an RV you'll either have to go up to a coach or build your own.
Old 04-23-2015, 09:50 AM

Received 141 Likes on 107 Posts
I have seen two Dodge class C motorhomes over the years which had the Cummins engine. For whatever reason they're very rare. I dont know if the ones I saw were custom builds or if there is or was an RV manufacture who incorporated the Ram Cummins trucks in their class C. Or you could do as suggested and find a GM class C and swap in a 12 valve Cummins in place of the 454. And since they're going to come with an automatic, you'd have to consider the issues you may have with a large heavy RV and the weak Dodge auto tranny.

Dont overlook the problematic Ford V-10 issues either. You may want to research that topic as they can have issues with sparkplugs coming loose and blowing out. Or stripping the sparkplug threads upon removal or install. Apparently the engines are all aluminum and Ford used very shallow thread depth which creates this problem.

Or just accept the fact that you're fuel mileage will be around 8-10 at best and you just wont be able to power up long steep grades like you're used too. For how infrequent people use their RV's it may just be easier to find a decent well taken care of RV and be happy with it until you sell it.
Old 04-23-2015, 10:20 AM
Proprietor of Fiver's Inn and Hospitality Center

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
Here are my observations from 35 years of RVing. I started with a Class C, 22' in Chevy 1 ton chassis with 454. It was OK, but cramped. Had it about 5 years and moved "up" (???) to a class A 28'. Much better, but still Chev engine. The Class C gave me about 7mpg - the A about 6mpg. Kept the A for about 5 years and up into a 36' A, still a Chev 454. Much more room but about 6mpg and more problems. Had to pull a toad to have transportation. Finally did the norm everyone else does and got a 40' diesel pusher - - lots of room, great driving - 5 to 6 mpg. It was one year old when it started falling apart and costing a fortune. Still had to pull a toad for transpo at the destinations.

Then, someone gave me tidbits of wisdom - - went to a fifth wheel. 37' with 3 slides and almost 400sf of floor space. Wow, what a difference. Much easier driving once familiar with it. Have a Ram 3500 diesel. Now I have my driver at my destination, I do not block traffic because I messed up and did not make a corner and the wife had to get out, unhook the toad, back it out and let me back out and reorient while thousands (well, maybe not quite that many) people are honking and cussing at me. The problems are infinitesimal compared to any of my motorhomes. Depreciation is far less. Cost to operate is far less. I can park it in my storage lot and basically forget it without worrying about fuel fowling out, injectors varnishing, and a myriad of other problems inherent to motorhomes.

Here is what to ask yourself - - how many times per year will I use it and for how long and how many miles? How much money can I afford to loose in depreciation on something I only use a few weeks or months per year? Am I willing to pull a toad because unhooking every time you wish to go somewhere when camped is not fun? I would highly recommend a good fifth wheel for your consideration. It is far less bother in upkeep and cost regardless of the usage and offers so much more space than comparable sized MH's.
Bob
Old 04-23-2015, 10:43 AM

Good points to ponder.....

I too have experienced all RV types over many years and many miles, and really.....I still dont think I have a clear cut opinion on which one I liked the best. They all proved to have their advantages and disadvantages.

But that said, along the basic differences between trailers verses motorhomes, its certainly nice to not have to tow a second vehicle around as the truck serves both roles, but there is something to be said for the comfort you experience when tooling down the road in an open RV. Plus, if you have kids then in an RV they can remain in bed while you get going during the early hours of the morning. Always liked that benefit when I was young.
Old 04-23-2015, 10:45 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I went the same way but I had a gas class A and every year it was a grand to get that beast on the road between brakes and exhaust it had a 440 and mileage was 2 to 10 depending on its mood now a fifth wheel on number three I find camping is getting expensive they want as much for a site as one can get a hotel room for the time you add all the cost a economy car and a hotel looks better all the time. But if I was to go for a class A it would be a diesel pusher with air brakes ( put a real class 8 chassis under it)
Old 04-23-2015, 03:29 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by KATOOM
I have seen two Dodge class C motorhomes over the years which had the Cummins engine. For whatever reason they're very rare. I dont know if the ones I saw were custom builds or if there is or was an RV manufacture who incorporated the Ram Cummins trucks in their class C. :
Were those Dodge chassis or Ford? Van chassis or truck? I didn't think a Cummins would fit into a van chassis due to how tall it is. No reason you couldn't build a class C on a truck chassis though.
Old 04-23-2015, 06:13 PM

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts
Those Sprinters w/slides are pretty nice.
Old 04-23-2015, 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by cLAYH
Were those Dodge chassis or Ford? Van chassis or truck? I didn't think a Cummins would fit into a van chassis due to how tall it is. No reason you couldn't build a class C on a truck chassis though.
They were Dodge chassis.
Old 04-24-2015, 10:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There was a builder that made C-class MH on a ram truck frame.
looked kink of like this one in the link.
Serro
Old 04-24-2015, 10:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
and this Xplorer Motor Homes - 22.5 Dodge Xcursion
Old 06-17-2015, 06:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We have owned everything went from tent, tent trailer, bumper pull trailer, class A gasser, 39' sundance fifth wheel, currently Jayco seneca 2008. Seneca by far the best rv we have owned diesel powered no air brakes. Kids love it wifey even drives it.