Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

Camper / Wiring Harness

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2006, 01:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Camper / Wiring Harness

New guy here so need some help. Getting my new truck (love it) ready for a slide-in camper. Got everything I needed to put a plug in the inside of bed to pigtail to camper. Ready to splice into trailer harness inside of frame rail and little worries start running through my mind so I called a few RV shops and they say don't splice anythig into the wiring of the new trucks-period? Something this old school guy don't understand?
06-3500-srw-ctd-4x4-slt-quad-lwb-auto-antispin
Old 04-18-2006, 02:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Most add on wiring, these days, use factory plugs, so you don't have to break the wiring harness & enjoy the intermittent long term issues of electrical problems.

Tony
Old 04-18-2006, 02:41 PM

That and I think I read on here where the 06's aren't fuse protected? You may want to search around on here for that info.
Old 04-18-2006, 02:45 PM

What you want to do is install a relay that is activated when the key is "on". Run some thick wires from the relay to the camper pigtail. This way the camper electrical system is essentially isolated from the truck's system. This is the way most camper installers will do it. It's the way my '99 CTD is set-up.
Old 04-18-2006, 03:22 PM

I planned to use a key activated continous duty soleniod (with optional switch override) fed from up front for the power source but wanted to keep the other wiring as short as possible (voltage drop). I was informed I'd have to plug into the trailer tow plug and feed back to the camper from there. Also told that if I wanted to tow and carry I'd have to have an adapter to put both plugs in (Y) the trailer tow plug. Said I can't splice into the harness as dodge uses same wire for multiple purpose in some cases?
Old 04-19-2006, 01:52 PM

Its only like 8 ft from the front to the camper,some stranded 10 or 8 gauge will be fine. Avoid splicing into the dodge wiring if at all possible.
Old 04-19-2006, 03:07 PM

One of my concerns is just the small wire size they use in the harness. Looks like #18 at best to run the truck lights, trailer lights, and camper lights if you plug all into the trailer tow plug. Seems like there should be a better way.
Old 04-19-2006, 04:50 PM

I agree there should be a better way. But there isn't. My key activated solenoid setup's been working great since 99. Dont mess with splicing.
Old 04-20-2006, 01:40 PM

I have a slide-in and installed a plug at the front of the bed for ease of access. Assuming you have the trailer towing harness (i.e. rear plug at the bumper) go to your RV dealer and buy 10-12 ft of 7-pin harness cable and a female plug. The plug side is a screw type connection but it is a bit tricky getting all the wilres through the plug weathershield...on the other end, I soldered the respective wires to the wires on the back side of the bumper plug. and have had no problems - in this way I can tow or use the camper plug in the bed. The trailer plug is a standard pinout, and it's easy enough to confirm which wire on the back side to tie into.
DON'T try to splice direclty into the multiplexed harness - RV dealer did that on my '03 and everytime I would operate the mirrors the door opening circuit would be activated - lights would turn on, chimes would go off, etc. It was a mess...
Old 04-20-2006, 09:58 PM

I have an '06 and I spliced into the harness right below the fuel door so I could have the plug up front in the bed. No problems at all. I did run a seperate 8 guage wire to the battery with a fuse for the 12v power source. My camper already has its own battery isolator.

If you think about it, if you splice into the harness you're still using the same wires that go to the trailer plug. Just check the wires with test light, and don't assume you have the correct wire by color.

In my case I didn't like the idea of running a pigtail all the way back to the camper plug and a splitter so I could pull a trailer also.

No "dings" from lights out sensor and no blown relays and fuses. Don't be afraid to wire these trucks for campers, it's not rocket science.

.............Jim
Old 04-20-2006, 10:01 PM

I just got done splicing into my harness. It was very simple and running wires to the factory outlet in the back isn't an option for me.
Old 04-21-2006, 08:30 AM

hi Jim,
You either know what you are doing or got lucky! Unfortunately the RV dealer did the wiring in my '03, so I opted to do it right in the new truck. Your solution is preferred, but the challenge is in finding the right wires.

With my set up, I found a lot of power loss when I started to draw heavy amps to run the inverter that powers the reefer while driving - stock wiring is too small - I ran a #6 pair of wires via relay (ignition on) and circuit breaker from the right battery in the engine compartment down the passenger side of the truck to the battery compartment of the camper - total length around 10ft and I don't have to worry about using up propane or flame-outs on the 'fridge while on the road.
Old 04-22-2006, 02:26 AM

Question: I have a new dually with the towing package on order. I'm going to have a 7 pin put in the bed for the 5ver. On my 01, the bed connector was located on the back left side and worked very well.

Will a 7 pin located at the front of an 8' foot bed work with most new fifth wheels (Fleetwood) or does it need to be in the rear of the bed?

I know, go measure the durn power cord and see how long it is, but it's 1 am and I'm curious.
Old 04-24-2006, 07:49 AM

Locating and identifying correct wires is no problem but I talked to local dealer this weekend, he said truck warrenty would be immediately voided if the wire harness was tampered with in any way.
His guy that does all the wiring mods. (remote start ect.) says it's ok to splice into the wires at the trailer plug but not half way back in the harness.
Old 05-15-2006, 07:23 PM

Just set up my 2002 for a TC,
used the rear Factory plug for everything except
12V power, ( pulled the 12v fuse up front ) and wired
a seperate 12v/gnd cable to Truck camper power distrbution ( used a Boat DC selector sw in camper )
to select TC battery or 3rd truck battery mounted on frame.

For the lights, an extended 7 pin cable just reaches to
the front TC plug

The TC running lights in the factory 7 pin are through a relay,
Don't splice to truck runnibg lights, too much current for sw.