Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

Best rear shocks for towing?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2005, 09:10 AM
Chapter President

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally posted by supr
I put Bilsteins all around. They are Gas shocks, lifetime, in theory. No adjustments to do. Works well with the fiver, or not. I believe they were avout $60 each. Huge ride improvement, all around. It is too bad they are not offerred as an option.
I believe the stock shocks are almost junk from day 1. Saved some money here, I think.
A lot of people like the Rancho's, but I believe they are fluid filled, not gas. Perhaps somewhat older technology?
If it is older technology or not, I don't know......but what I do know is the 5100's cannot match the absolute max rate of dampening that the 9000 can when it is cranked all the way up and I have never come across any other non-adjustable shock that could either. This may or may not be important to you - but it is important to me. When we loaded up with the camper in the back and the Jeep in tow, the 9000's in the rear are maxed out and the rate of dampening is perfect......If I had much less dampening available to me, I would have a less than desirable handling truck. Are the 5100's a great shock for many people?....Yes, but they don't match the range of dampening that the 9000's can provide.
Old 07-21-2005, 10:20 AM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I just bought Monroe Reflex for all four corners, but haven't installed them yet. The pin weight on the 5er is only around 1160-1200lbs. and the truck spends most of the time running solo. I considered the 9000's and the Bilsteins, but went with the Monroes with "Lifetime Warranty" and $46 each. I figured I have almost 100k on the clock and the stock junk didn't get real obnoxious until last fall,,,,, so I'll try them and they're bound to be an improvement. Probably will put them on Saturday, so I'll let y'all know how they work out.
Old 07-21-2005, 10:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For adjustabilty and ride comfort, Rancho 9000's are the way to go for various loads or no load at all. I have air bags and 9000's. They don't last forever but they are a no hassle exchange at any Rancho dealer. Don't get the in-cab controls. I've heard of too many problems with leaks.
Old 07-21-2005, 10:30 AM
Banned

spark plugs

When you refer to spark plugs... You do mean a "Duramax" don't you? I heard a Duramax had those things... Just kidding...
Old 07-21-2005, 02:59 PM

What kind of cost difference is there between Bilstein 5100 and Rancho 9000? I want my truck to ride better going over rough roads and also to handle a 32' gooseneck with 12k gvw.

Thanks
Old 07-21-2005, 03:16 PM
Chapter President

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have the Rancho 5000's, which are OK, but they did not improve my ride at all.

As far as my camper, my trailer and heavy loads.....I'm having a set of Heavy Duty Air Lift's put on tomorrow. No bells and whistles, just the manual inflate/deflate.
Old 07-22-2005, 09:01 AM
Chapter President

You will love your new Airlift bags - I know I love mine......but you probably won't like your 5000's after the bags are aired up with a load.
Old 07-22-2005, 11:48 AM
Chapter President

Originally posted by crobtex
I have the Rancho 5000's, which are OK, but they did not improve my ride at all.

As far as my camper, my trailer and heavy loads.....I'm having a set of Heavy Duty Air Lift's put on tomorrow. No bells and whistles, just the manual inflate/deflate.
Well......so much for the Air Lift's.
They don't make them for my '99 with the factory overload springs/camper pkg. The guys at 4wheelparts called the factory and was told that the overload springs had to be removed and replaced with the bags. That's not going to happen.

Next Option: Who is carrying a slide-in cabover with the manually adjustabe RS9000's? My truck carries the 2.5 k with no problem, but I want something to take some of the "roll" out of it. I'm looking at it as more of a safety factor then anything.

CR
Old 07-22-2005, 01:54 PM
Chapter President

I am running 9000's with a heavy slide-in......I love them.....when cranked way up, they will help minimize body roll and make for a much nicer handling truck with the camper in the back. FWIW, ditch the overload springs. You will have no use for them once the airbags are in place. My 98.5 had the camper package with the overloads.....I didn't think twice about unbolting them and replacing them with the Airlifts......there is no comparison between the two.
Old 07-22-2005, 02:16 PM
Chapter President

CTD NUT, thanks for the info.

I will probably go with the RS9000's if they will stop some of the roll. The truck carries the weight fine, with only about a three inch drop with the camper loaded.

Since the camper will only be on the truck 3 or 4 times a year, the RS9000's should do what I'm looking for, and at a much cheaper price.

Thanks again,
CR
Old 07-24-2005, 04:52 PM

Originally posted by RATTLINRAM
I just bought Monroe Reflex for all four corners, but haven't installed them yet. The pin weight on the 5er is only around 1160-1200lbs. and the truck spends most of the time running solo. I considered the 9000's and the Bilteins, but went with the Monroes with "Lifetime Warranty" and $46 each. I figured I have almost 100k on the clock and the stock junk didn't get real obnoxious until last fall,,,,, so I'll try them and they're bound to be an improvement. Probably will put them on Saturday, so I'll let y'all know how they work out.
I practically stole my Reflexs, $50 for 4 NIB. I got them all installed today, think I might go take it for a spin to see if it is any better. The original ones were still on all 4 corners, 134k miles on them.
Old 07-24-2005, 08:42 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Talking Sending the police your address now,,,,,,

Originally posted by BoostdCTD
I practically stole my Reflexs, $50 for 4 NIB. I got them all installed today, think I might go take it for a spin to see if it is any better. The original ones were still on all 4 corners, 134k miles on them.
That is a good deal!
I haven't driven very far yet, but I can already tell it's a big improvement over the ones I took off. The real test will be when we pull the 5er next month.

Hey Boosted,,,,,,
Next time ya run into a deal like that,,,,,,,, let me know before I buy mine!
Old 07-25-2005, 12:09 AM

Yea, I couldn't believe that they made it through the first 2 days without anybody using buy it now. It took me about 5 minutes to buy them after finding, I had to figure out they were the right part number.

I'd like to get rid of the concrete bags, but I haven't gave it a try yet so we'll see. Sounds promising from most I have read about getting rid of the stockers.
Old 07-25-2005, 12:44 AM

Where have you guys seen the best prices for the 9000's? I've seen a couple online.
Old 07-25-2005, 12:51 AM
Chapter President

Check out 4wheelparts.com. They'er advertising "employee prices" which makes them less then $80 if I read it right. Since their Air Lifts would not do what I wanted, I'll probably go back this week and get the RS9000's for the rear.

Quick Reply: Best rear shocks for towing?