Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

"Axel Flip"

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2003, 11:01 PM

Received 141 Likes on 107 Posts
Re:"Axel Flip"

PK, no arguing intended. Just relaying info but you have a point. It all boils down to whether you feel comfortable doing this or not.
Old 04-13-2003, 11:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Some trailers such as Jayco have adjustments you can do with out welding. My last truck was a 2500 V-10 and my new 03 has the 5.9 HO. For some reason the new truck doesn't settle down as much as the last truck. The same trailer is affected by cross winds more than the old one. Going to do the adjustment this week.
Old 04-14-2003, 12:26 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This would be the same Dexter Axle Company supplying axles to Peak Manufacturing, Glendale etc. with the welded upper and lower pads on newer 5th wheel and travel trailers "factory ready" for hi or lo trailer heights (2-3/8" 3500lb/3" 6000lb) correct. Standens of Calgary offers the same options for Travelaire, Titanium, Glendale etc. with double welded mounts for versatile applications as well, and kits with spring pads and new U bolts for axle flip (top mount) springs. PK
Old 04-16-2003, 04:05 PM

My 1975 trailer had the springs swapped some time before I bought it. It was still not tall enough to properly line up with the ball on my hitch and lowering the hitch was not an option due to ground clearance of the equalizer hitch shank. I added 1 1/2 inch blocks under the leaves as well.

Has anyone noticed a changed in mileage in windy situations once they lifted their trailer?
Old 04-17-2003, 10:47 PM

OK here's the scoop, Dexter e-mailed back today and says recommended method of installing axle under the springs is "welded" spring pads on axle. They do offer the bolt on kits for 2000lb and 3500lb axles as previously stated by Ascraeus, but can not be used on any larger due to interference of components. Here is the catch, they will only warranty axles if their welders weld them on. I told them this is unacceptable as our customers would not be shipping axles 5000 miles round trip to have $12.00 worth of spring pads welded on. I then asked them to supply exact failures on what weight and axle usage. We have had no failures on RV trailers, we have had failures of cracks at the weld on stock trailers due to abuse. Every case has been documented as overweight stress or outright abuse on rough roads or terrain. Overheated bearings seizing and tearing off stub ends needs no explanation, in all cases of failure the axle was abused beyond design. Dexter says they will get back to me next week, Standens in Calgary has had no problems with Dexter or their own axles on RV's by mounting on top of axle. IF somebody has had a problem with the "flip" get details and photos. "Dispell the Myths" and promote safety with truthful research not rumors, this causes undo stress on those that don't have the experience to know when the BS is flying. PK
Old 04-18-2003, 12:18 AM

Received 141 Likes on 107 Posts

"Dispell the Myths" and promote safety with truthful research not rumors, this causes undo stress on those that don't have the experience to know when the BS is flying. PK
<br><br>Very good statement!!!PK Opinions are one thing but rumors are another.
Old 04-18-2003, 06:55 AM

One more tidbit and then I'll shut up ...<br><br> If you decide to weld the pads on the axel tube, make sure the welding ground is as close to the area to be welded as you can and not just hooked to the frame at the first convenient location.<br><br> I did exactly that, welding on a conveyor belt trailer. I hooked the ground to the tongue (it was closest to the welding machine) and was welding at the other end. The current fried all 20 roller bearings that let the conveyor belt roll. What a pain to replace as well as costly. :'(<br><br>PISTOL
Old 04-18-2003, 11:00 AM

When welding the new pads on, the ground is attached to the existing pad directly below, current travel is less than 4&quot; and never had a problem but your exactly right many have cooked bearings. PK
Old 04-25-2003, 12:25 PM

I did the &quot;Dexter Kit&quot; approx. 2 yrs. ago on my Coachmen 30ft. That was one of the best mods I've done. No more worrying about dragging, etc. Their kit is nice and complete.
Old 11-28-2010, 02:42 PM

Am I screwed?

Hello all, I bought a 06' mega 2500 w/ 8" lift (rock Krawler) From what I am finding out Fifth wheel is pretty much out of the question? Should I just spare the headach's and go for tow behind off the hitch? Which by the way is a 10" drop........
Any help would be great. Please spare the smart *** comments
Thanks
Old 11-28-2010, 06:12 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
over /under its all ok if the springs are on top it will put a little more stress on the hangers but thats it .I have owned a few trailers/fifth wheels and 50% were over, others were under .My current
5er is a 34'holiday rambler with 7k axles under the springs from the factory
Old 11-28-2010, 09:36 PM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
I did that mod with a 30' 5th wheel toy hauler. Bought some 4x12's that were weathered and warped for cheap, and cut them into 2' lengths for super-stable blocking. 24"x24" stack of blocking under each corner.

Some folks cut off the existing seats and weld them on the top, or fab a new pad, but factory done pads are cheap it makes sense to me to buy a set and weld them on. That way you have the existing pad to line up the new pad when you clamp it down to weld.

I didn't notice any difference in MPG, or in handling.

Also, having the stock spring seats still on the axle would make it easy to put back to stock... if it didn't handle well or if a future owner had a 2wd.

One other thing, it is a good idea to pull the brake wire out of the middle of the axle before welding. You wouldn't want to cook the insulation.

Quick Reply: "Axel Flip"