Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

Andersen Gooseneck Fiver Adapter??

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2012, 06:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Blake Clark
No, and I would avoid one like the plague.

But that is just me. If you, or anyone, should choose to buy one, I would really appreciate a PM with a physical location and travel plans so I can avoid any rogue trailers traveling unhitched down the highway....

Ha! I don't have plans to be the guy to avoid. I liked certain aspects of the design, until the coupler from aluminum popped up, and looking at the frame quick cast doubts without some better specs listed for material composition and tube size.
Old 08-05-2012, 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by scot pa
Sorry, I was not aware that aluminum doesn't corrode. I bet that thing could be fun to get back off the kingpin in about two or three years of getting rained on.

With a steel coupler under the trailer- and one that doesn't have a chance of spinning around the kingpin- and a stronger frame from the rails to the ball- that doesn't look like a bad set-up. But I think I would still spend the money on the right hitch to start with.
I didn't even consider the galvanic corrosion that could render that coupler as permanent to the pinbox. I am really uneasy over the aluminum coupler. Watching their videos, I saw aluminum chips fall out as they slid the coupler over the hitch ball. That scares me - how many chips before there is so much slop in the connection that the trailer bounces off the ball going down the highway?

I know tubing can be very strong -- I have seen enough chromemoly chasis over the years to doubt the ability to handle some abuse. What I am doubting is what thickness and material is their frame made from? Where does their 24K lb rating come from? The ball manufacturer? I didn't dig deep enough through their website to find any reference to independent testing. Look at the torture testing the MOR-Ryde elastomer pinbox went through - that sort of video at least begins to sell you on durability.
Old 08-05-2012, 08:22 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by zulusafari
I didn't even consider the galvanic corrosion that could render that coupler as permanent to the pinbox. I am really uneasy over the aluminum coupler. Watching their videos, I saw aluminum chips fall out as they slid the coupler over the hitch ball. That scares me - how many chips before there is so much slop in the connection that the trailer bounces off the ball going down the highway?

I know tubing can be very strong -- I have seen enough chromemoly chasis over the years to doubt the ability to handle some abuse. What I am doubting is what thickness and material is their frame made from? Where does their 24K lb rating come from? The ball manufacturer? I didn't dig deep enough through their website to find any reference to independent testing. Look at the torture testing the MOR-Ryde elastomer pinbox went through - that sort of video at least begins to sell you on durability.
Not to mention what is to keep that aluminum piece from vibrating a little bit and spinning around the kingpin? Might be a little surprising to look in your mirror and find the trailer tracking an extra 6 inches over into traffic. I've been a lot of places where the lanes are barely wide enough for a full width trailer. I think the only way to really make sure that the piece on the trailer wouldn't move would be to cut the bottom 3-4 inches off a gooseneck hitch, notch the tube, and weld it to the kingpin and plate. But then it's really permanent.

That tubing may be pretty strong, but there are no gussets or bracing for it. I would not be surprised if, especially in a wreck, the tubing would twist like a pretzel.
Old 08-05-2012, 09:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i too run the b and w with companion and love it haul a 10k 5er all over no problems. love the product looking to get another for my back up rig.
Old 08-06-2012, 08:10 AM
Administrator / Severe Concussion Aficionado

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
The actual Idea behind the hitch system is great. The execution leaves a lot, and I mean a lot, to be desired.....

If the coupler was billet steel, not aluminum, and the bed hitch system were beefed up, and by a lot, then Id own one.

Dont care if the coupler could rust... An hour, once a year, with a little cleaning and lubing will cure that.

Dont care that the hitch system ONLY weighs 75lbs. This is a time where Ill chance tossing out my back with it weighing 150lbs. Put some more meat on that thing.

Dollar for dollar, and I hate to sound like a cheerleader here, but, its awful, awful hard to beat the quality of B&W.
Old 08-06-2012, 01:04 PM

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
I watched the video and technically the RV 5ver is now a gooseneck I didn't see any safety chains and nowhere to attach any.
Old 08-07-2012, 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by Busboy
I watched the video and technically the RV 5ver is now a gooseneck I didn't see any safety chains and nowhere to attach any.
GOOD OBSERVATION!!! I totally missed that! I wonder - do any of the Fifth wheel to Gooseneck adapters have safety chaines? I haven't seen any with chains mounted, when listed for sale on e-trailer or other RV warehouses. Is there any regulations that would come into play, or does safety chain requirement vary by state anyway?

Blake, I am with you -- the B&W looks better and better everyday. My new questions are related to air hitches vs. air pinboxes vs. elastomer pinboxes. That deserves a new thread, however!
Old 08-07-2012, 11:04 AM
Sausage Aficionado (In training)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have a Mumby Adapter that bolts onto my kingpin and allows me to pull my small (19ft - 3,500 lbs) 5er with my hideaway ball. The adapter came with spots for safety chains AND a reminder that chains are req'd by law.
Old 08-07-2012, 12:39 PM

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
My son uses one that has a spot for chains on the adapter, don't know the make off hand though.
Old 09-24-2012, 02:41 PM

The ticket:

Here is what you need:
The Reese Goose Box
It replaces your current fiver pin box and is rated to 16K pounds. It is indorsed (actually built by) Lippert Components for Reese and they state that it will not invalidate your frame warranty. They are quite expensive though. I wanted one for our new (to us) fifth wheel, but they haven't made on that is acceptable for the TRX Fabex model 500 pin box mounting wing yet.
So, I opted for this instead:
Convert-A-Ball Cushioned, Adjustable Adapter.

Now, the converter police will come out with their anecdotal evidence about frame failure when you convert a fiver to a gooseneck. I can tell you that our 1999 Fleetwood Mallard 25 footer has been drug many a mile over bad roads and the frame and pin box mounting welds are still sound. The Lippert frame failures were very common on the frames supplied to most manufacturers (about 80% are Lippert, the rest are Dexter/Leslie or built in-house, such as by Carriage) from 2002 to 2005. When you look at those failures, only about 10% of those campers had been converted to gooseneck adapters. The rest were all hauled on their standard (albeit extended) fifth wheel pin boxes. I have seen the welds on the newer Lippert frames. They are really ugly (including the 2004 Fleetwood Terry Quantum we just bought). many of the upper frame failures were preceded by axle mounting strap failures too. It looks like the automated wire welders used by Lippert could be suspect. Add in the stresses from the popular extended pin box, and you will have failures whether or not you convert to a gooseneck.

Last edited by DryCreek; 09-24-2012 at 02:43 PM. Reason: aded color, bold font for links