Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

Andersen Gooseneck Fiver Adapter??

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2012, 03:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Andersen Gooseneck Fiver Adapter??

Guys, I need some information.

My wife and I are trading/selling our slide in truck camper and moving to a fifth wheel. My 2010 has a threaded Gooseneck hitch installed now, which I don't like, due to the bed protrusion of the ball. Luckily, the previous owner has a heavy steel flag welded to the shoulder for hammering against to remove it!

I was researching fifth wheel hitch options, wanting to keep a clean bed when not using the hitch. My last fiver hitch used the in-bed mounted rail system and 4 hitch pins, and was a pain. That truck also had the permanent gooseneck ball, but with no flag and no anti-sieze when it was installed. Iowa road salt made that ball permanent! My options seem to be to install a B&W turnover ball gooseneck hitch, then use the Companion Hitch (or equivalent) to keep the clean bed. Or, there are a few different companies with below bed mounting options for removable fifth wheel hitches. The B&W option was kind of middle of the range, even with buying both hitches for the complete package. The other systems require a pretty spendy mounting system and then the hitch itself anyway, so no big deal.

Then I found this at Tweety's:
http://tweetys.com/andersen-ultimate...eck-mount.aspx

Does anyone have any experiece with these? I watched the video of the drop-in for standard rails, and have some reservations.

1. The design seems to use flattened tubing for side bracing. I am no structural engineer or anything, and without knowing the wall thickness, grade, etc., I am concerned for strength.
2. They claim no grease is recommended or necessary on the coupler, ever.
3. The coupler is made from aluminum, with the hitch ball riding inside. Again, no grease. I actually watched small chips drop/scrape off in the video showing the hookup in the truck bed!

Ratings are much higher than anything I am looking to tow - 15k GVWR fiver. Andersen claims 24k trailer max weight, and over 4k lbs pin weight ratings. GTW actually far exceeds the companion hitch rating of 18k lbs. All for roughly half price of the B&W Companion, and I wouldn't need to buy the Turnover ball hitch portion -- the Andersen unit locks to my current hitchball in the bed.

Can the aluminum coupler be trusted to handle the towing stresses like this with no lubrication? Anyone have real world experience with these?
Old 08-01-2012, 04:40 PM

Received 209 Likes on 152 Posts
This one is using the same 2 rails in the bed and 4 hitch pins to install that you're complaining about.

With the standard rails, which I find to not be a big deal as far as being in the way, and semi obtuse for cleaning, you can pin in the fifth wheel hitch, this thing, or a regular gooseneck ball on an X shaped mount.

I'd be really concerned about an aluminum coupler, no lube, and claims of longevity. Just doesn't add up.

Also, you have the precision lineup requirement of gooseneck. The fifth wheel advantage is you can see the hitch over your shoulder, and if you can hit it within about 3 inches, you capture the pin, slack the jacks, and spill the coffee you left on the table all in one shot.
Old 08-01-2012, 04:48 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by zulusafari
... have some reservations.
1. The design seems to use flattened tubing for side bracing. I am no structural engineer or anything, and without knowing the wall thickness, grade, etc., I am concerned for strength.
That was my concern when I first saw it as well. It looks really, REALLY cheap.

3. The coupler is made from aluminum, with the hitch ball riding inside. Again, no grease. I actually watched small chips drop/scrape off in the video showing the hookup in the truck bed!
I saw that too and it didn't do a lot for my confidence in the product.

Can the aluminum coupler be trusted to handle the towing stresses like this with no lubrication? Anyone have real world experience with these?
I wouldn't trust the aluminum, but that's just me.

I'm sorry I can't offer any real world experience with these things. They look like a neat concept but I question the materials used.
Old 08-01-2012, 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by j_martin
This one is using the same 2 rails in the bed and 4 hitch pins to install that you're complaining about.

With the standard rails, which I find to not be a big deal as far as being in the way, and semi obtuse for cleaning, you can pin in the fifth wheel hitch, this thing, or a regular gooseneck ball on an X shaped mount.

I'd be really concerned about an aluminum coupler, no lube, and claims of longevity. Just doesn't add up.

Also, you have the precision lineup requirement of gooseneck. The fifth wheel advantage is you can see the hitch over your shoulder, and if you can hit it within about 3 inches, you capture the pin, slack the jacks, and spill the coffee you left on the table all in one shot.
Look again - they have one that attaches directly to your existing gooseneck ball in the bed, without any rails. The truck has a bunch of straw along the passenger side rail in the video. The initial video was linked because they discuss the aluminum coupler and "no grease ever" claim.

OOPS-- Looks like I just linked the tweety's product, not the video. Look for it online or at the Andersen's site. The gooseneck adapter is a frame with the square downtube that fits over the gooseneck ball, then a top bolt that snugs the unit down. They use a hitchpin to keep the unit from pulling up off the ball. I also was watching the install, and between the adapter hitchball being BEHIND the locking post over the truck ball, and the Trailer Pin Adapter Coupling moving the ball coupling FORWARD on the trailer, it looks like the hitch point may actually be moved back around 3 inches or more in the truck bed compared to a properly setup fiver pin or the Companion Hitch from B&W. I like the price point, but too many flags are flying in my mind for longevity and design.

I would still appreciate any real-world experience information, if anyone has it!
Old 08-01-2012, 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by chaikwa
That was my concern when I first saw it as well. It looks really, REALLY cheap.

I saw that too and it didn't do a lot for my confidence in the product.

I'm sorry I can't offer any real world experience with these things. They look like a neat concept but I question the materials used.
Thanks for a more "expert" opinion -- I know you do quite a bit of fabrication and trailer building, and reservations from you do hold weight!
Old 08-01-2012, 05:13 PM
Administrator

Thanks for a more "expert" opinion -- I know you do quite a bit of fabrication and trailer building, and reservations from you do hold weight!
Thanks, that's kinda nice to hear!

But in all reality, I think you had this thing pretty much figured out right from the get-go. Hard steel ball in a soft aluminum hole with no lubrication just doesn't set well!
Old 08-01-2012, 06:50 PM

Don't see many Goose Neck's on Fifth Wheels unless your out west. Most of those are small fifth wheels.

The Fifth Wheel Trailer such as a Montana, Carriage, Etc... are not built at the tow point for a Goose Neck. Generally trailers built for Goose Necks are over built in the frame leading up to the verticle hitch on the bed ball.

Applying that Verticle lever to a fifth wheel frame, especially a large fifth wheel is looking for problems. It is possible to beef the frame attachment up on the fiver to accept the gooseneck. But, I think all the welding would just make things shrink in the wrong direction.

Dave
Old 08-02-2012, 08:02 AM
Administrator / Severe Concussion Aficionado

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Not just you, me too. If there will be ANY cyclical stressing at play, I would NOT even consider aluminum. Sure, alloys and billets have come a long way, but they still have a fatigue point.

I know its a lot more expensive, but if I were spending the money, and wanted quality, as well as convenience, My money would be spent on a B&W Turnover Ball and Companion hitch.
Old 08-02-2012, 09:15 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Blake Clark
Not just you, me too. If there will be ANY cyclical stressing at play, I would NOT even consider aluminum. Sure, alloys and billets have come a long way, but they still have a fatigue point.

I know its a lot more expensive, but if I were spending the money, and wanted quality, as well as convenience, My money would be spent on a B&W Turnover Ball and Companion hitch.
Wow! We actually agreed on something!

That's twice now that's happened... the end of the world MUST be coming in December!
Old 08-02-2012, 09:18 AM

Wow! We actually agreed on something!

That's twice now that's happened... the end of the world MUST be coming in December!
Well what can I say, you do know what you are talking about in this instance. One day, Ill make it up to Kalamazoo, and we can hang out in the saw garage, you smoke your pipe, Ill have a big ole pinch of Copenhagen, and we can discuss the finer intricacies of Advanced Fuseology.

Old 08-02-2012, 09:35 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Blake Clark
Well what can I say, you do know what you are talking about in this instance. One day, Ill make it up to Kalamazoo, and we can hang out in the saw garage, you smoke your pipe, Ill have a big ole pinch of Copenhagen, and we can discuss the finer intricacies of Advanced Fuseology.

That's gonna be a tight fit considering it's only a saw SHED!
Old 08-03-2012, 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by CoastalDav
Don't see many Goose Neck's on Fifth Wheels unless your out west. Most of those are small fifth wheels.

The Fifth Wheel Trailer such as a Montana, Carriage, Etc... are not built at the tow point for a Goose Neck. Generally trailers built for Goose Necks are over built in the frame leading up to the verticle hitch on the bed ball.

Applying that Verticle lever to a fifth wheel frame, especially a large fifth wheel is looking for problems. It is possible to beef the frame attachment up on the fiver to accept the gooseneck. But, I think all the welding would just make things shrink in the wrong direction.

Dave
I fully understand and agree, CoastalDave. I advised some good friends against a Reese Fiver to Gooseneck adapter, but they didn't listen and have a few cracks now to contend with. What caught my eye on this besides the price, is the hitch sits in the bed at the same height as a typical fiver unit, and there is a simple aluminum adapter plate that attaches around the fiver pin to ride on the gooseneck ball on the truck hitch. The adapter in this instance keeps the leverage the same as the fiver pin, just moving it forward some. It eliminates the long lever arm normally seen, where the adapter extends down from the trailer pinbox to floor level of the pickup to ride on the gooseneck ball.

I have pretty much written this off as an added expense between getting what I really should and what I have now. Since I already have the 4" hole in the middle of the bed, and the pricing is less than installing an undermount railset and accompanying fiver hitch, The B&W setup looks like the winner. I may research some other adapter hitches, as the Companion Hitch isn't the only option, but for certain, this Andersen unit has me too worried to purchase.

Out of curiosity -- anyone heard of a hitch coupling on ANY trailer being made from Aluminum??
Old 08-03-2012, 05:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I use the B&W companion on my B&W turnover ball and love it for towing my 5th wheel.
Attached Thumbnails Andersen Gooseneck Fiver Adapter??-p1010021.jpg   Andersen Gooseneck Fiver Adapter??-p1010023.jpg  
Old 08-04-2012, 05:48 AM

Out of curiosity -- anyone heard of a hitch coupling on ANY trailer being made from Aluminum??
No, and I would avoid one like the plague.

But that is just me. If you, or anyone, should choose to buy one, I would really appreciate a PM with a physical location and travel plans so I can avoid any rogue trailers traveling unhitched down the highway....

Old 08-05-2012, 04:13 PM

Sorry, I was not aware that aluminum doesn't corrode. I bet that thing could be fun to get back off the kingpin in about two or three years of getting rained on.

With a steel coupler under the trailer- and one that doesn't have a chance of spinning around the kingpin- and a stronger frame from the rails to the ball- that doesn't look like a bad set-up. But I think I would still spend the money on the right hitch to start with.

Quick Reply: Andersen Gooseneck Fiver Adapter??