Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   Towing and Hauling / RV (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/towing-hauling-rv-95/)
-   -   14K, 16K, or 18K 5vr Hitch (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/towing-hauling-rv-95/14k-16k-18k-5vr-hitch-63399/)

Buckshotmckee 03-11-2005 11:49 AM

14K, 16K, or 18K 5vr Hitch

I'm wanting your guys opinion on this subject. I'm getting ready to purchase a 5th wheel hitch and wondering what you guys would recommend. I know the max towing for my rig is 14,200 according to the owners manual. I know it will handle MUCH more. I plan on buying a 5th wheel this summer. I'm not going over 30-33 ft and no more then 10,000 pounds. I can pick-up a used one, 14K Reese for $50.00 bucks complete with the rails and hardware in pretty much perfect condition. What'cha guys think? Thanks Tye

RustyJC 03-11-2005 11:59 AM

If it's like the Reese 14K in my previous 1996 Ram 3500, this is a single-pivot 5th wheel hitch. It only pivots fore/aft, not side-to-side. The first time you pull into an uneven campsite and can't unhitch because the truck is on a different plane than the 5th wheel and the hitch is bound up, or you can't rehitch for the same reason, you'll wish you had a double-pivot hitch.

My own personal opinion is that if some is good, more is better and too much is just right. Therefore, I'd go for the 18K hitch - peace of mind in overkill, ya know! ;)

Oh, and be prepared. Depending on the dimensions and geometry of the 5th wheel and the hitch placement relative to the rear axle, your shortbed truck may require a sliding 5th wheel hitch.

Rusty

mike6256 03-11-2005 03:51 PM

I agree with Rusty, more is better.
My 5er weight is 11400 fully loaded, I never run it that heavy usually under 10000.
I have a Reese 16K slider and it works nicely.
It does pivot in four directions and I wouldn't go any other way.
You will need a slider with the short bed. You might night have to use it everytime you are maneuvering but the one time you need to fit in a tight space you will be happy.
Just be carefull I see you have a 3" lift you want to make sure you have 6" clearance around the bed rails. Sometimes these dealers will tell or sell you anything just for the sale.

Good luck.

FiverBob 03-11-2005 05:12 PM

Shortbed = slider = NP (no problem) :D

Four way swivel - - go for it - - don't skimp there. Listen to Daddy Rusty.

Buckshotmckee 03-11-2005 05:28 PM

Thanks guys. I went and priced a 16K Drawtite slider, 4 position pivot @ lunch today. It has a the "New" round tube style slider instead of the square channel slider. They quoted me $1525.00 installed. Does that sound about right?

mike6256 03-11-2005 09:05 PM

Buckshot,

That sounds a little high, I am not sure the price differance with the tubular frame compaired to other designes.

Mine was included in with the price of the trailer and cost around $600.00 installed.

When I was shopping around for trailers they had quoted me prices between $1000-1200
maybe try shopping around a little more.

FiverBob 03-11-2005 09:17 PM

Hey, it's DIC. Different in Canada and California - - them's are Califerniyah dollars. :rolleyes: :D

Buckshotmckee 03-11-2005 09:23 PM

Originally posted by FiverBob
Hey, it's DIC. Different in Canada and California - - them's are Califerniyah dollars. :rolleyes: :D
[laugh] [laugh] [laugh]

I've actually checked a couple different places and there about the same. I'm going too check out a couple other places tomorrow, along with some trailers. We've pretty much got the floor plan picked out, now we just need to decide on a manufacture.

FiverBob 03-11-2005 09:32 PM

Grew up out there, Buckshot - - been there, done that. Played a little basketball for UCLA. Glad to be gone - - too crowded now. Still enjoy a visit once in a while. See ya in Palm Springs in three weeks.

Buckshotmckee 03-11-2005 09:52 PM

Palm Springs? Are you going to be vacationing here?

PZM123 03-12-2005 05:51 AM

50 bucks is hard to beat. Remeber you get what you pay for. I just got my 1st 5th wheel hitch. Was down to between a Reese & a Super5TH by Pullrite. (not a slider 8' bed) A buddy of mine who's had 5th wheels for the past 10 years or so always pulls without a slider & with a short bed. (BECAUSE HE'S SO D--- GOOD!) just crushed in the back of his cab on a 2005 Ford. He got what he payed for! Check out rvpartscenter.com , best prices I could find. They carry both Reese & Pullrite with free shipping too. Try Pullrite.com & they will send you a free video about the SuperGlide.It's slide action is automatic. My buddy wouldn't buy a slider because he didn't want to get out of the truck to unlock the slide. I saved about $450. bucks installing it myself, with all the no drill mounting systems you can't mess it up. they bolt to existing holes in the frame. Good Luck & Happy Trails

The Domie 03-12-2005 07:58 AM

Check out Kearbey Rv. Great prices and free shipping on some models.
Go with the 16k and it will be more than you need currently and give you some "growing " room if you change 5ers (like we all tend to do!)
Either slider tube type will work fine.

dssimecek 03-12-2005 10:55 AM

WE am going with a B&W turnover ball, with the 18K companion for the 5er. Have the gooseneck abilty, and anempty bed with a flat floor. A bit pricey tho.
We are buying a used 2003 29E34MS Titanium by Glendale. GVWR 10,423.
There is a place in Houston LPP that has used RV's and 5th wheels.
gud luk
:cool:

supr 03-16-2005 11:34 AM

Go with the Pull-Rite, it is the best. Pricey, but not as pricey as fixing your truck & Trailer if you do not have it. Many on this site also echo this thought.
This is a 1 time purchase, so, if you can, do it right the first time. Spend less, usually get less.
It also is the #1 seller at our RV place, PPL, now the # 1 consignment dealer in the country.
My $02.