Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   Towing and Hauling / RV (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/towing-hauling-rv-95/)
-   -   $$$ per mile??? (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/towing-hauling-rv-95/%24%24%24-per-mile-125409/)

CASMOKIN 11-26-2006 05:38 PM

$$$ per mile???

Hey all,

Happy post gobble gobble day to all, havent been on in a little while.;)

I know that quite a few of you guys use your CTD's to make money. I too am in need of some extra cash soooo... long story short, I have a guy that wants me to move some furniture for him. It is about a 500 mile round trip. I may not need my trailer, It should fit in the bed of the truck. I assume the way to bid this out would be by the mile. What would a fair $ per mile be, with and without the trailer. Keep in mind, (I dont know if it matters) my mpg drops from an average of 19 -20 to about 12-13 towing.

Thanks all, I look forward to the responses.

Tom

rich 11-26-2006 05:47 PM

it cost about .30 per mile to run one with a trailer so theirs you a base line

Longhorn06 11-26-2006 05:59 PM

Here will likely be too much info, but you will have to decide for yourself. As a sales rep, using my own vehicle I charge 45cents/km. I am also a full time Landman, and in this work industry standard is $.76/km, and as a consultant I wont turn the key for less than $1.00/km. This is no-load, and of course no trailer. When I was hotshotting, GN trailer, $2.25 to $2.50 loaded mile. Dont know if this will help, and this is in Canada, but thought I would offer anyway!

runamuk 11-26-2006 06:03 PM

Wait a minute, going rate for any employer to pay you for using your own vehicle is $00.40 per mile. This is for vehicle expenses only!

Your time is worth something also, (Even your time Tom:rolleyes:). 500 miles is 8 hours+ driving time.

Will you stay overnight anywhere?

What about food?

What about the infamous F Factor??

If they are a friend/family or another DTR member you can deduct most of the profit margin.

Rick

Diesel Dummy 11-26-2006 06:05 PM

500.00 plus 20% fuel surcharge truck only

600.00 plus 20% fuel surcharge with trailer
This keeping it fair for both of you, i have my own truck and quote all the time. A Furniture mover would be over a thousand to do this.

bnold 11-26-2006 06:15 PM

44.5 cents per mile is the federal mileage rate until 12/31 then its going to 48.5 cents per mile

CASMOKIN 11-26-2006 07:00 PM

Thanks for the responses guys. Maybe I should of worded my question differently.[duhhh] I am wondering what a fair price to charge taken in all factors including my time, fuel etc. just looking for the going rate.

Diesel Dummy, thats roughly what I was thinking. I figured with fuel costs of roughly $100, if i charge $500.00, I could make about $400.00 less food and some other minor expenses, not bad for 8 hours worth of driving/work:cool:

Tom

RickG 11-27-2006 03:20 AM

You'll be taking a big chance on getting stopped and fined for operating without authority . What about insurance ? Your insurance will not pay if something is damaged . The risks here far outweigh any profit you could possibly make .

CASMOKIN 11-27-2006 08:20 AM

I here what your saying, but its not like Im hauling a house load of furniture. Im moving a dresser and a rocking chair. I dont exactly see what kind of trouble I can get into.

Tom

RickG 11-27-2006 10:00 AM

More than likely you wouldn't have a problem hauling that . There's no way to prove it's not your property . There's still the question of liability due to damage though .

CASMOKIN 11-27-2006 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by RickG (Post 1224590)
More than likely you wouldn't have a problem hauling that . There's no way to prove it's not your property . There's still the question of liability due to damage though .

RickG,

Agreed.

If they want it moved, I will have them sign something releasing me of liability if damage occurs. If they dont want to, fair enough:cool:, they could move it themselves or hire a proffesional mover and pay proffesional fees.[coffee]

REF>Lancer 11-27-2006 12:33 PM

My .02
I pull travel trailers in the states,$1.05 a mile is the least I pull for.
I'm happy with $1.30/Mile
I don't see any real way to get in trouble doing what you are doing either...LOL Rick.
As long as you aren't making a buisness out of it.
thats what I charge companys,I'll give ppl I like a break.

4x4dually 11-27-2006 01:11 PM

I didn't use any calculations like above. I went to San Diego, CA a year ago with my 24 foot stock trailer and moved my buddies girlfriend back to central OK. The cheapest U-haul or Ryder he could get was $1500 one way plus his plane ticket out there. I told him I'd do it for $1500 and save him the several hundred bucks for the plane ticket. Saved him money and gave me a bunch. But I did earn it. I left Thursday at 4pm and returned Sunday night at 8pm. Those tires were turning just about the entire trip. I was a tired dude! It cost me $315 in fuel for the whole trip, and that was out of my cut.

Sprinter17 11-27-2006 03:29 PM

Git -R Done $500

GAmes 11-27-2006 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by RickG (Post 1224406)
You'll be taking a big chance on getting stopped and fined for operating without authority . What about insurance ? Your insurance will not pay if something is damaged . The risks here far outweigh any profit you could possibly make .

Rick, you are one uptight dude. I just recently helped my son move his stuff across country. I borrowed a flat bed gooseneck trailer from a friend, pulled it up to Boston, loaded all his goods and pulled it to Seattle via Albuquerque to avoid the bad weather up north. Picture a Dodge duelly (with Oregon tags) pulling a gooseneck (with TX farm tags) loaded with a large, tarped box of furniture, a motorcycle parked crosswise and a Jeep on the back. I knew I looked like a hotshotter and was prepared to be stopped, but never was. I seriously doubt anyone would give a second look at a pickup with some furniture in the bed.