Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   Suggestions, Comments and Site Questions (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/suggestions-comments-site-questions-87/)
-   -   valid email address? (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/suggestions-comments-site-questions-87/valid-email-address-56489/)

joeservo 12-13-2004 09:20 AM

valid email address?

just out of curiosty, why can't you use a yahoo email address as a valid email?

DieselDaze 12-13-2004 09:33 AM

I'll let Lary or Jack provide more detail but in brief, we've had a lot of problems with bogus email accounts using hotmail, yahoo and other free email account providers.
Again, I'll let Lary and/or Jack provide more info.

Rich.

jthorpe 12-13-2004 09:40 AM

DD said it. We don't allow them because there were too many people trying to register multiple names under bogus accounts. In order to curb it a little, we implemented that policy. Although we cannot completely stop it, it has slowed down a good 99%.

Top three BAD things for a forum owner:

1. AOL Proxy Servers!
2. Hotmail
3. Yahoo Mail
4. Any other free mail provider out there.

phox_mulder 12-13-2004 05:56 PM

Does that policy apply to current members?

I don't want to use my provider supplied email address,
as I'm not sure I'll stick with them after the contract is up.

I'll have the hotmail address for as long as hotmail itself exists.

Yahoo on the other hand, I've had 2 accounts deleted for no reason,
just couldn't log in one day.

phox

Dr. Evil 12-13-2004 06:00 PM

Originally posted by phox_mulder
Does that policy apply to current members?

I don't want to use my provider supplied email address,
as I'm not sure I'll stick with them after the contract is up.

I'll have the hotmail address for as long as hotmail itself exists.

Yahoo on the other hand, I've had 2 accounts deleted for no reason,
just couldn't log in one day.

phox

Im in the same boat as Phox......lots of people use a yahoo or hotmail as their only e-mail account.

Flashdancr 12-13-2004 06:01 PM

What about those of us who are on the road full time using RV park wireless providers? We have to use a free e-mail provider such as Yahoo.

AggieJustin 02-01-2005 10:10 PM

Just found this topic after I had trouble updating my profile. I've got a Yahoo address in there currently, and it won't update my profile till I specify a valid address.

Is there a list of banned e-mail providers? The only e-mail address that I have that isn't from a free provider is my work account, and I don't like getting personal mail on that one.

jthorpe 02-01-2005 10:17 PM

Sorry, I won't change the policy. Although I feel for you in terms of registering or changing email, it does not outweigh the security concerns. I don't publish the list on purpose. I can say that there is more than just yahoo.com or hotmail.com.

AggieJustin 02-01-2005 10:26 PM

Is there a way to opt out or not provide an e-mail address and just forego getting any mail from the forums? Yahoo is my primary e-mail that everyone uses to contact me for things other than work, so I'd rather not have to get a paid e-mail address to use only here.

Dr. Evil 02-01-2005 10:28 PM

thats not going to fly....

jthorpe 02-01-2005 10:29 PM

I'm sorry, but no. If you don't have a valid email address, you cannot participate on the forums. It's not so you can receive email from us. We almost NEVER send email to users unless they subscribe to forums, posts, pm notifications etc, but for security reasons, and for law enforcement if needed, you must have a VALID non-yahoo (or that type) address. That's just the way it is. Sorry.

mestdagh 02-01-2005 10:51 PM

Yahoo is my primary mail also. To join DTR, I created another free mail account using Lycos .... not that I ever check it ...

Dr. Evil 02-01-2005 11:01 PM

busted....:D

Forrest Nearing 02-02-2005 12:21 AM

my email address is @ rocketmail.com... which was taken over by yahoo YEARS ago...

so technically I have a yahoo email address... when I check my mail, I do so through yahoo.com

I WIN! :D

Forrest

amartinson 02-02-2005 06:06 AM

Originally posted by Forrest Nearing
my email address is @ rocketmail.com... which was taken over by yahoo YEARS ago...

so technically I have a yahoo email address... when I check my mail, I do so through yahoo.com

I WIN! :D

Forrest

Guess which email provider will be the next one added to the list. :D