Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   Suggestions, Comments and Site Questions (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/suggestions-comments-site-questions-87/)
-   -   sub forums? (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/suggestions-comments-site-questions-87/sub-forums-238918/)

'Mad Max' 04-01-2009 01:02 PM

sub forums?

so is it possible to get some sub-forums for us red-head-stepchild 1st geners? Seriously, trying to navigate our forum is 'sporty' - so many updates yet they span multiple pages.
Maybe sub-forums like:
- Engine
- Transmission
- Driveline (axle/t-case)
- Body
- Interior
- Electrical
- Racing
- Off-road
I dunno...should make it a lot easier to find information without having to search quite so often??
- Sam

Tuckerdee 04-01-2009 01:10 PM

I'll second that motion.

smoking 04-01-2009 01:38 PM

Look at the post by ACE its at the bottom of page 4 right now. Should answer your question.

'Mad Max' 04-01-2009 02:15 PM

Okay, thanks I see it now. Well, so be it. I just wonder how much site space is taken up by reposts of topics already discussed?...

wannadiesel 04-01-2009 03:13 PM

I'd be more interested in the idea if it weren't for the tens of thousands of threads I'd have to sort.

archer39 04-01-2009 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by wannadiesel (Post 2438960)
I'd be more interested in the idea if it weren't for the tens of thousands of threads I'd have to sort.

i don't know the details about how the forums are run/running but i do know from experience that some type of database systems allow you to sort by quires and such. I am sure there is a way to do it other than going though and sorting them one by one.

Lary Ellis (Top) 04-01-2009 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by archer39 (Post 2438984)
i don't know the details about how the forums are run/running but i do know from experience that some type of database systems allow you to sort by quires and such. I am sure there is a way to do it other than going though and sorting them one by one.

What I believe Dave was referring to was if we separate the existing thread he would have to sift through ALL the existing threads to place them in the proper place. :o

wannadiesel 04-01-2009 04:05 PM

That's it exactly, Lary. Unless all the threads are sorted into the appropriate sub-forums the information will be even harder to find.

It's not that I'm lazy, it's just that I don't have enough time to start at the very beginning and look at every thread on the 1st gen board, figure out where it belongs, and move it there. And figuring out where a 1st gen thread belongs can be a real challenge, some of those things veer WAY off the original topic or go five different directions. [laugh]

archer39 04-01-2009 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by Lary Ellis (Top) (Post 2439015)
What I believe Dave was referring to was if we separate the existing thread he would have to sift through ALL the existing threads to place them in the proper place. :o

yea, that is what i figured.

but what i was wondering is if you have the ability though what every type of database your running to sort/organize thought the existing threads. Like i said i have no clue as to what this is running on but my past experiences with data bases you have that ability.

wannadiesel 04-01-2009 04:16 PM

I don't think our software can automatically sort them into categories like that. You'd have to come up with a set of magical keywords that would give the database a clue where to put it and I doubt we'd be happy with the results. Not trying to be negative but sometimes there's just no substitute for the judgment of a human.

archer39 04-01-2009 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by wannadiesel (Post 2439053)
I don't think our software can automatically sort them into categories like that. You'd have to come up with a set of magical keywords that would give the database a clue where to put it and I doubt we'd be happy with the results. Not trying to be negative but sometimes there's just no substitute for the judgment of a human.

gotcha.

with advanced type of databases (mySQL and oracle) systems you can organize very efficiently by just about anything you want. Yes, it takes some human interaction but you can organize tens of thousands of entries with ease (yes, i have done it [yuk]). I have never really seen or set up a forum so i may be completely off the beaten trail here. It has always just been easier (yes i am lazy haha) to go a view one that is existing that suits my interest.

jthorpe 04-01-2009 05:56 PM

The db is mySql and it's great, but the forum software doesn't allow us to do that and it doesn't have that kind of functionality. We could go in and create our own queries, but I honestly don't have time to do that. I don't do this full time so it's pretty much the way it is right now.

archer39 04-01-2009 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by Administrator (Post 2439131)
The db is mySql and it's great, but the forum software doesn't allow us to do that and it doesn't have that kind of functionality. We could go in and create our own queries, but I honestly don't have time to do that. I don't do this full time so it's pretty much the way it is right now.

ok. yes mySQL is a good database system. it's a shame the forum software is not better :( . if you ever need helpf from someone with some experience with databases let me know.

wjones 04-02-2009 03:43 PM

Guess I'll go against the grain, I like the forum as it is. Everything is in one spot, dont have to go through a bunch of sub forums. If you use rss you only need one feed for all the latest threads.

vbulletin is a good piece of software, asking them to develop an algorithm to make a computer understand the contents of a thread, this just isnt gonna happen for a while.