Suggestions, Comments and Site Questions Post your comments and suggestions here. We always want to improve the site.

New Infraction System

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2007, 05:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I did and thankfully found out with just a warning! Won't let that happen again. Now I double check what I print. Sure is an excellent place to find help and first hand experience with toys for boys...
Old 02-24-2007, 07:49 PM
DTR Founder

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Begle1
Or because some people have different definitions of "profanity" than others.
Well if that's the case, then you go by what "our" definition of profanity is. By now, you should have a clear understanding of what we expect. Think about it this way. Would you go into a church and talk to your pastor the same way you would talk to one of your buddies? If not, then use that rule of thumb here, and you will be just fine. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to state their opinions without using profanity. If in doubt, don't do it.
Old 02-25-2007, 12:58 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Begle1
Or because some people have different definitions of "profanity" than others.
Originally Posted by Jack Thorpe
Well if that's the case, then you go by what "our" definition of profanity is. Would you go into a church and talk to your pastor the same way you would talk to one of your buddies? If not, then use that rule of thumb here, and you will be just fine. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to state their opinions without using profanity. If in doubt, don't do it.
That's exactly what I mean, and that's a great way to explain it, Jack; it just took me a while to realize that's what the fine print meant.

Site Language Rules for Dummies:

Write posts as if talking to your mother (since we all have one of those)!

...except for maybe Begle1
sorry, Begle1 - I couldn't resist!
Old 02-25-2007, 01:12 PM
Administrator/Jarhead

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Once again, I'm opening my fat mouth.

I do not think that it is that hard to follow the rules. Someone that is having a problem doing this please let me know, so maybe I can figure it out.

There is a standard on this web site. Follow it or leave. No one is twisting your arm to be here, we do not pay to be here, so you have no say in what the rules are. (myself included) I personally want every person that has a CTD or has an interest in them to be on this site, to share the enjoyment that I have here.

IT AIN'T THAT HARD!
Old 02-25-2007, 05:43 PM
JKM

I am with them^^^ It isn't that hard to follow the rules , although everyone slips up once in a while, that's what warnings are for.

I may not always agree with the rules , or how they are enforced and how "business is conducted" here ,but as I think Lary has told me before "no one is keeping you here" and I am still here , so I guess i decided it can't be that bad, and I can be good when I play at Jack and Lary's house. It's not really that hard.
Old 02-25-2007, 06:40 PM
Administrator/Jarhead

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by JKM
I can be good when I play at Jack and Lary's house.
THAT says it. Not my house... Who's house?!?
Old 02-25-2007, 08:53 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by JKM

I may not always agree with the rules , or how they are enforced and how "business is conducted" here ,but as I think Lary has told me before "no one is keeping you here" and I am still here , so I guess i decided it can't be that bad, and I can be good when I play at Jack and Lary's house. It's not really that hard.
People should be required to type that 50 times for complaing about the rules.

Well said.
Old 02-26-2007, 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by Jack Thorpe
Think about it this way. Would you go into a church and talk to your pastor the same way you would talk to one of your buddies?
I think the problem lies in that not everyone here goes to church. Analogy makes sense on your end, sure, but I disagree with expecting members to be held to a one-sided strict moral standard. Like I said to Larry privately, not everyone shares the same sense of humor and moral convictions. No disrespect, just trying to get you to see the other side of the coin. Some people are more enlightened when it comes to understanding language than others.

IMO this system has caused more problems than it is worth, other forums are equally well run without the use of state control. If I were allowed to link to one of them, you'd see what I mean, but I'm not, and that's entirely my point.

Sorry to see Begle1 go, reminds me of the episode of Family Guy when the FCC starts censoring real life.
Old 02-26-2007, 11:12 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think the point Jack and Lary are making is that your disagreement with the way they run their site is irrelevant.

I think the they've seen the other side of the coin and choose to keep it heads-up.

Enlightenment varies according to where you're standing in relation to the Light.

If the other forums are equally well run as DTR, why aren't they growing as fast?

No state control here - just good ole fashioned private property rules.

Don't fret Begle1's absence; he'll return soon enough through transcendence!
Old 02-27-2007, 03:32 AM

Received 263 Likes on 235 Posts
Well the part I really like about DTR is that I can get factual info on here, some opinions and personal observations/impression and that there is a lot of fun. I have to admit that sometimes it isn't easy to keep my language in check if something goes terribly wrong (with my life, truck or whatever) but I found that it really helps trying to type it out without any foul language. Naturally it's kind of relieving to scream **** or XXXX or even %$&"&/&(/(!!!! (these should signify some choice profanities) if you hit your thumb with a hammer but I think it's good then to calm down and define your problem in a language as unemotional as possible. Sometimes the solution for the problem is already in front of your eyes if you stop swearing and cursing.
Sometimes I do prefer to read content of a nature that is in no way going to get on this site. There are platforms out there that do allow me to do exactly this, and it's on my own discretion to use them or not.

AlpineRAM
Old 02-27-2007, 05:01 AM

Originally Posted by AlpineRAM
Well the part I really like about DTR is that I can get factual info on here, some opinions and personal observations/impression and that there is a lot of fun. I have to admit that sometimes it isn't easy to keep my language in check if something goes terribly wrong (with my life, truck or whatever) but I found that it really helps trying to type it out without any foul language. Naturally it's kind of relieving to scream **** or XXXX or even %$&"&/&(/(!!!! (these should signify some choice profanities) if you hit your thumb with a hammer but I think it's good then to calm down and define your problem in a language as unemotional as possible. Sometimes the solution for the problem is already in front of your eyes if you stop swearing and cursing.
Sometimes I do prefer to read content of a nature that is in no way going to get on this site. There are platforms out there that do allow me to do exactly this, and it's on my own discretion to use them or not.

AlpineRAM
I agree,but it seems to me that a LOT OF MEMBERS GET BANNED just because they disagree with BIG BROTHER THORPE
Old 02-27-2007, 05:04 AM

No, they get banned because they refuse to follow the rules of the site. You can disagree with someone all day long. Throw a hissy fit because you don't like the rules? See ya....
Old 02-27-2007, 05:56 AM

Originally Posted by TomW
No, they get banned because they refuse to follow the rules of the site. You can disagree with someone all day long. Throw a hissy fit because you don't like the rules? See ya....
Where did Begle 1 throw a hissy fit....
Old 02-27-2007, 06:10 AM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by ROOSTER108BM
Where did Begle 1 throw a hissy fit....
Begle decided he no longer wanted to abide by the rules that he agreed to when he joined our site.
He's gone.
Simple.
Old 02-27-2007, 07:56 AM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Originally Posted by XLR8R
I think the point Jack and Lary are making is that your disagreement with the way they run their site is irrelevant.

I think the they've seen the other side of the coin and choose to keep it heads-up.

Enlightenment varies according to where you're standing in relation to the Light.

If the other forums are equally well run as DTR, why aren't they growing as fast?

No state control here - just good ole fashioned private property rules.
This sums it up pretty nicely

Simple truth of the matter is, I will continue to moderate this site using MY interpretation of the rules and what I consider to be profane or not. You may not agree with my judgment, but there you have it.

It is MY responsibility to keep this forum user friendly for as many of the members as possible, even if it means upsetting the vocal minority whom for what ever reason may have been raised without the basic morals needed to be respectful toward others in a public place.

In that process I must use my own moral compass as the balancing factor when making a decision here, even though I myself have not always adhered to that basic moral fiber as well as I should have.

Still, I know right from wrong, my decisions are based on that knowledge and they will continue to be so into the future.

It is natural for Jack and I to use our own beliefs and morality as the foundation for the Forum rules. We have to believe in what we are trying to accomplish here or why waste time doing it?

Respect those around you in this forum and you will never have a problem here, thousands of members do it here daily

Quick Reply: New Infraction System