Suggestions, Comments and Site Questions Post your comments and suggestions here. We always want to improve the site.
View Poll Results: Which software do you like best?
OLD: Yabb SE Forums
23.76%
NEW: VBulletin Forums
76.24%
Voters: 101. You may not vote on this poll

How do you like the new software?

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2003, 03:30 PM
DTR Founder

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally posted by Dr. Evil
I see that now....maybe I should look around before I post stupid questions...

Thanks.

Xcellent Job everyone.....

hahaha. Hey, we're all learning. Don't worry about it, and enjoy yourself.
Old 12-29-2003, 03:42 PM
Proprietor of Fiver's Inn and Hospitality Center

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
Jack,
The new forum is cleaner in appearance. It is definitely slower.

Things I don't like:
1) Posts do not display in format as prepared - - (ie: spaces are dropped)
2) PMs no longer show when you log in. You have to go look for them to see if you have new ones
3) You should be able to set up a "preference" screen. I hate all the emails clogging my box because I forgot to click out the email notification box.

There are growing pains, and that is expected. PMs are not formatting correctly. I am surprised sometimes by where I end up after clicking on a link.

Otherwise, it looks like it will be a good look.
Old 12-29-2003, 03:49 PM
DTR Founder

Bob, see below for my answers to this. I think you might just be missing some things:

Originally posted by FiverBob
Jack,
The new forum is cleaner in appearance. It is definitely slower.
Now this one I'm clueless about. I hope you meant that it's faster, because for me it's on fire compared to what it used to be. Server load is down 75% or more, and pages come up instantly almost every time vs. 3-5 second wait times for the old forum.

Things I don't like:
1) Posts do not display in format as prepared - - (ie: spaces are dropped)
I'm not sure about this one either. Every post I've put up, and the ones I've looked at seem fine. If you're entering a lot of spaces on a post, the software deletes them on purpose, both vertical spaces and horizontal.

2) PMs no longer show when you log in. You have to go look for them to see if you have new ones
Private message information is available both on the front page of the website, and on the bottom of the main forum page. If you have them, it'll show you without having to go into the pm area. On top of this, if you get a new pm, you can set the software to give you a popup box for notification, and you can read the pm's right on the popup box. If you have a popup blocker, then I can understand why you're not seeing this. Either that or you don't have it set in your profile.

3) You should be able to set up a "preference" screen. I hate all the emails clogging my box because I forgot to click out the email notification box.
You can set this. You need to go into user CP and see all the things you can do in your profile. You might be surprised that much of what you're talking about is already there. Edit options and Edit profile are the two places with the most changeable information. Check it out. It's all there.

There are growing pains, and that is expected. PMs are not formatting correctly. I am surprised sometimes by where I end up after clicking on a link.
Can you give me an example of this? I also have no clue about this one as they've been fine for me, and I have not received any other complaints. Also, please tell me what browser you're using.
Old 12-29-2003, 04:07 PM

Sooooo, spank me. I made the mistake of opening my yap before reading all the previous posts.

I had been in user pc, but did not study and open all screens. I have now killed the email notification.

As for the spaces in replies, it makes for a cleaner post if you can show a paragraph by indenting the first letter a couple spaces. You do that now and all paragraphs run together. Difficult to read. It probably reduces space somewhat. I have both added spaces infront of each paragraph on this reply and put a line between the paragraphs. Let's see what is looks like when I send it.

Slower - - it is loading slower to the first page than before for me. I have not used it enough to make a judgement while in. I will make some mental notes to watch that. I use IE 6.0.2.

I just hit the "home" button and ended up in the forum. I have had a couple surprises like that - - this was what I was referring to. Things like that are to be expected. No biggy - - overall, very positive feel to the site. I think you did good. Great site, good feel in it, and it starts with you, big guy. I don't mind letting my wife read our forum. There is only one other I encourage to her read, and it still gets pretty lousy in language and inuendos. So, bring it on - - we like it.
Bob
Old 12-29-2003, 04:08 PM

Yep, a line between paragraphs worked.

I still say I am moving a little slower between screens. Is it just me?
Old 12-29-2003, 04:38 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Lightbulb I know what it is Bob,,,,,,,,,,,

Hey FiverBob,
>I figured out what is causing your slowness,,,,,,, It's all that sunshine and nice weather you're always bragging about! Kinda like retired folks that move down to Florida and get in that Layed-Back-Take-Your-Time-Relax-Enjoy-The-Pretty-Weather-Don't-Get-In-A-Rush type attitude!..... Now your computer has got it!
>I've also been to a couple forum boards that are running this software and they take the paragrah indent out too. I guess this means I will have to read a little slower.,,,,,,,, (maybe I will move down to Florida) JUST KIDDING!
>It takes some getting used to and doing a little experimenting, but I think this software is a lot better.

TakingafewjabsatBobintheconfusionDennis
Old 12-29-2003, 05:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I did notice one more thing Jack. Is there anyway you can change the search option to allow you to search for words that have less than 4 characters? For example I tried to search for "fog" and it wont because its enough characters. I also noticed someone else trying to search for the word "Oil" but that doesnt work either. Just wondering if you can maybe change that so it's a bit easier to search. Other than that I'm getting more and more used to it. Sorry to be a bother
Old 12-30-2003, 07:24 AM
DTR Founder

Originally posted by Cumminsdude
I did notice one more thing Jack. Is there anyway you can change the search option to allow you to search for words that have less than 4 characters? For example I tried to search for "fog" and it wont because its enough characters. I also noticed someone else trying to search for the word "Oil" but that doesnt work either. Just wondering if you can maybe change that so it's a bit easier to search. Other than that I'm getting more and more used to it. Sorry to be a bother
Unfortunately, that will be a while. In order for me to do that, I have to rebuild the entire search index, and that is not a fun process. It takes up a ton of time, and a lot of server load. I may try it, but it'll be late at night
Old 12-30-2003, 07:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BIG IMPROVEMENT. NUFF SAID.
Old 12-30-2003, 10:31 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
VBulletin is definitely better than Yabb SE but sort of wished you had chosen Invision Power Services instead. http://forums.invisionpower.com/
I've probably used all the different message board software out there, IPS wins hands down. The search feature is light years ahead of VBulletin. Maybe next time...

As for the PM boxes filling up- if an administrator changes the default setting so saving sent messages is unchecked the problem will disappear. What happens is folks unknowingly fill up their sent message box.
It will also save some bandwidth to change email notification default in new posts to unchecked. Most folks really don't want the extra email anyway.
Old 12-30-2003, 10:36 AM
DTR Founder

I did check into Invision. I wasn't particularly thrilled about how it's administered. The other thing is that there are so many other software packages available that support the VB user database. This is good because in the long run, it'll allow people to do anything on the site without having to register two and three times like they do currently. Classifieds and chat will be next after the photo album change. Once you register, you'll be able to use it all. I do know Invision owners who love it. It is fairly quick as well.
Old 12-30-2003, 11:10 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Where are all my posts? is the other board still up? I went from 1600-some to 428?

Looks good, though.

Mike
Old 12-30-2003, 12:27 PM

Quirk

Jack,

Just noticed a little quirk. Smilies will not go where the cursor is located. They go to the last information in the post. I noticed this in PM's - - you usually post on top of the quotes. The smiley went to the bottom of the quote.

SmilinBob
Old 12-30-2003, 12:31 PM
DTR Founder

Re: Quirk

Originally posted by FiverBob
Jack,

Just noticed a little quirk. Smilies will not go where the cursor is located. They go to the last information in the post. I noticed this in PM's - - you usually post on top of the quotes. The smiley went to the bottom of the quote.

SmilinBob
Nothing I can do about it. I noticed it too. Something we're going to have to live with unti I can figure it out.
Old 12-31-2003, 03:16 PM
Administrator

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
Talking

Excellent. VBulletin wins over Yabb SE hands down. One question though. How much time do we have after posting to a topic to go back and edit the post?

Excellent work Jack! Keep it up.

Quick Reply: How do you like the new software?