Suggestions, Comments and Site Questions Post your comments and suggestions here. We always want to improve the site.
View Poll Results: Which software do you like best?
OLD: Yabb SE Forums
23.76%
NEW: VBulletin Forums
76.24%
Voters: 101. You may not vote on this poll

How do you like the new software?

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2003, 09:49 AM
Chapter President

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
where do I change my user name or nickname at?

otherwise I like the new site.
Old 12-25-2003, 10:29 AM
DTR Founder

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally posted by truckshopper

You don't unfortunately. This software only allows for one name.
Old 12-25-2003, 12:12 PM

Originally posted by Farmer

Also, is it just me, or after I've read a thread it doesn't automatically mark it as read.
I have the same problem. It's kinda annoying!
Old 12-25-2003, 12:17 PM
DTR Founder

Originally posted by Cumminsdude
I have the same problem. It's kinda annoying!
I don't like that part either, but I don't know if there is any way to solve the issue. All the other VB site's I've seen are the same way.
Old 12-25-2003, 12:29 PM

Jack, now that I've used it a few days, I've noticed a couple of things: I've seen where "thread starter" ID has changed from what it was originally; and that post counts have jumped around a little.

It took me a little time to figure out what the black dot on the new/old post envelope meant too. But I'm cooking with gas again.
Old 12-25-2003, 03:07 PM

I likie it very much. Just wish i could stay logged in when i return to the site
Old 12-25-2003, 03:23 PM
Chapter President

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You don't have to log in every time, if you don't log out and come back to the site, look up at the top of the screen and click "FORUMS" and it will bring you back in logged in. I too thought you had to log in every time, until I "looked" at the top of the screen.
Old 12-25-2003, 10:32 PM
Chapter President

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by truckshopper

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You don't unfortunately. This software only allows for one name.

Old 12-26-2003, 06:44 AM

No doubt about it. VBulletin is vastly superior to YaBB.
Old 12-26-2003, 09:00 AM

I'm not so sure anymore. If this new code is bigger, badder, and faster, and provide all these new handy/dandy features, why can't it accurately monitor what posts have been read?

It doesn't update properly. If it can't, whats the point?

Secondly, PMs may have to be renamed PIAs.

And just think, two weeks ago (I mean generations ago) we had Santa waving at us.

Lets get it right the first time, and avoid the kind of pitfalls FOMOCO is having with the 6.0.
Old 12-26-2003, 09:54 AM
DTR Founder

Originally posted by bulabula
I'm not so sure anymore. If this new code is bigger, badder, and faster, and provide all these new handy/dandy features, why can't it accurately monitor what posts have been read?

It can monitor whatever I tell it to monitor. However, I am not done getting the software up and running 100% yet. It's also very different from the last system we had here. If you go to any VB site, you'll see what I mean. It's not a matter of accuracy, it's just that the software is designed differently.

The software is much much faster then the old system, and much better written in terms of security and server load.

It doesn't update properly. If it can't, whats the point?
See my reply above.

Secondly, PMs may have to be renamed PIAs.
What are the problems with pm's? I haven't had any issues with pm's at all. You also have to edit your profile and options to how you want it. It may be a learning curve, but the benefits long term are much better, and the pm system has many more features that people have been asking for for quite some time.

And just think, two weeks ago (I mean generations ago) we had Santa waving at us.

Lets get it right the first time, and avoid the kind of pitfalls FOMOCO is having with the 6.0.
You know, I'm not trying to be a jerk, but I find this somewhat offensive. If you know so much, then I'd be glad to let you take the reins for a while. All I can say is have your pocketbook ready though, because it'll cost you some money and a lot of time. For only being up 3 days, I think the software is running quite well. BUT, since it's not perfect, I'm really sorry for that. Give us a break here man. There are things to be worked out. If you're in such a hurry to get things working right, then feel free to lend a hand or write a check. Key term for today is "FREE SITE"

Jack
Old 12-26-2003, 10:03 AM

I really like the new software/format!

I have one thing I have found annoying though. The email notification box keeps appearing checked every time I make a post. I'm not used to having to go uncheck it so I end up with email telling me someone else has posted to a thread I responded to. Is there anyway to uncheck this as a default in my user profile?

Thanks for all the work that has gone into the transition.
Carl
Old 12-26-2003, 10:06 AM
DTR Founder

Originally posted by carl20320
I really like the new software/format!

I have one thing I have found annoying though. The email notification box keeps appearing checked every time I make a post. I'm not used to having to go uncheck it so I end up with email telling me someone else has posted to a thread I responded to. Is there anyway to uncheck this as a default in my user profile?

Thanks for all the work that has gone into the transition.
Carl
Yep! If you go to the "user cp", and "edit options", you'll find it in the option list there. Under "Messaging & Notification", you'll want to change the item, "Use 'Email Notification' by default?" to no.
Old 12-26-2003, 02:02 PM

Received 263 Likes on 235 Posts
Question

Just got an e-mail from tha board that my IM-inbox was full and somebody had wanted to write me an IM.

How many IMs are accepted by the new board?

It will take time getting used to it, but it seems like some nice SW. I don't come here for the BBS software, I come for the content.

AlpineRAM
Old 12-26-2003, 02:05 PM
DTR Founder

You're allowed 50 pm's total per user.

Quick Reply: How do you like the new software?