Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   Suggestions, Comments and Site Questions (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/suggestions-comments-site-questions-87/)
-   -   Gallery Upload Limit Reached...Now What? (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/suggestions-comments-site-questions-87/gallery-upload-limit-reached-now-what-326279/)

MrFusion 10-08-2016 01:13 PM

Gallery Upload Limit Reached...Now What?

So i uploaded a bunch of pics and now it is telling me I've hit my upload limit. What can I do about that?

Is it a question of picture file size? For some reason the pics I upload are huge.

Do I need to delete some pics? If so, how?

Do I need to buy an upgraded membership or something?

Thanks!

madhat 10-08-2016 09:03 PM

I stopped using my DTR picture gallery long ago... I use photobucket to load pictures here.

Let me see if I can monkey with your account and fix it... I've never done that, tho, so I'm not promising anything.

madhat 10-08-2016 09:03 PM

Nope... sorry.

MrFusion 10-08-2016 11:42 PM

Originally Posted by madhat (Post 3313289)
Nope... sorry.

Thanks for trying. I was using photobucket a while ago to post pics here. Guess I'll look in to doing that again.

Is there a way to delete gallery photos?

May be a dumb question but I'm not great at computering.

NJTman 10-09-2016 06:48 AM

Originally Posted by MrFusion (Post 3313297)
Thanks for trying. I was using photobucket a while ago to post pics here. Guess I'll look in to doing that again.

Is there a way to delete gallery photos?

May be a dumb question but I'm not great at computering.

Go to user CP on the ribbon, then down the left side to attachments.

In the attachments, you can delete stuff you think isn't necessary anymore which will provide more space in your attachment allotment.

MrFusion 10-09-2016 12:25 PM

Thanks Tman! I'll give it a try.

j_martin 10-21-2016 07:42 PM

Most cameras, and even cell phones will create huge picture files because they have enough pixels to make a very pretty 8x10 or larger print. They take a lot of band pass (time) to transmit, a lot of storage, and when downloaded they again take time, then most of the pixels are just thrown away by the browser so it fits on the screen. That's all waste.

I put any pictures I'm embedding in a post in a photo editor (I use GIMP) and resize them to either 640 x 480 or 800x 600 before I include them. They go up faster, take less space, download faster, and look about the same on the screen.

MrFusion 10-23-2016 09:38 PM

Thanks for the info! Its been bothering me that the pics i post a flippin huge. Its got to be irritating for the folks with dial up. Larry Ellis had suggested using a resizing program. Is the program you're using really called GIMP ??

Jim Lane 07-17-2017 02:18 AM

I know this is an old post but this might be helpful to others.

I use Microsoft Image Resizer, part of the Microsoft Power Toys.

I have it on my computer running Windows 8.1 Professional 64bit. and it works fine, it is as easy as:

*Right click,
*Left click,
*RESIZE

You can choose 4 preset sizes or custom.

NJTman 07-17-2017 06:59 AM

Originally Posted by Jim Lane (Post 3331352)
I know this is an old post but this might be helpful to others.

I use Microsoft Image Resizer, part of the Microsoft Power Toys.

I have it on my computer running Windows 8.1 Professional 64bit. and it works fine, it is as easy as:

*Right click,
*Left click,
*RESIZE

You can choose 4 preset sizes or custom.

I use Paint on my desktop. Really easy to resize, crop, add funny words, or draw mustaches on women or ladies.

j_martin 08-07-2017 08:17 AM

Originally Posted by NJTman (Post 3331361)
I use Paint on my desktop. Really easy to resize, crop, add funny words, or draw mustaches on women or ladies.

I use GIMP. More technical, but a lot more function.

Generally, with any program here's what to do:
1. Crop the image, get rid of useless information.
2. Re-size the image, largest dimension should be 800 pixels or less.
3. Save (or export) the image in jpeg (jpg) format at 95% or so quality.

That file size should be well under 100k bytes. The image should be plenty good for anything truck related. An added benefit is that it won't take forever to load at the end of a cattle fence internet connection like I have.

DTR.... coupla suggestions.
1. Disk is cheap, open up the limits. The whole DTR community is suffering an incredible loss due to the photobucket workaround for the DTR storage issue. Back when 1GB SCSI was the norm I can see it, but now you can put up a 10 TB raid 5 disk array for a few hundred bucks.

2. Maybe offer an upload handler that'll resize and save at reduced quality as above described.

MrFusion 08-11-2017 04:05 PM

DTR/ IB: I agree with J Martin. I would post more pics and open more threads if I could do it all on this site and not have to resort to a 3rd party image hosting site. Right now it is more hassle than I have time or patience for.

More pics/threads/information brings the DTR site more traffic which means more advertisers which means more money in your pocket.

Honestly seems like a no brainer from my layman's perspective.