Suggestions, Comments and Site Questions Post your comments and suggestions here. We always want to improve the site.

Add to "Wiki" button

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2007, 11:41 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Add to "Wiki" button

I just had a thought (scary) that it would be kinda of nice to have an add to "Wiki" button,(just like the button that allows you to report a post) so if you read a post that has really good information in it you would hit the "Wiki" button and it would flag it for the Administrator to review to add to the Wiki fourm.

Like this post from: Bent Valves

I had to troubleshoot my charging system recently and came up with a fairly simple way to isolate the problem. Here is a step-by-step way.

First you will need a DVM to measure voltage. Also the batteries need enough charge to start the engine, so use a battery charger to get them charged enough.

The charging system is made up of the PCM mounted on the firewall, alternator, and don’t forget the 120 amp fuse in the PDC on the driver’s side fender well.

1) Start the engine and measure the battery voltage at one of the batteries. It should be more than 13 volts but probably less with a charging problem and that is why you are here.

2) Measure the voltage at the alternator output terminal (B+) leaving the DVM negative connected to the battery negative post. If the measurement is greater than 13 volts then the fuse in the PDC should be checked or the nut holding the heavy gage wire (B+) on the alternator is loose.

3) If you get this far then the next step is to measure the voltage coming from the PCM. The two small nuts on the back of the alternator are the ones to measure with the lower one positive and the upper one negative. These are the field terminals on the picture. If the voltage reading is greater than 8 volts the PCM is calling for full charge and your alternator is bad and not putting out. If the voltage is less than 3 volts your PCM is toast or the wiring between the PCM and alternator is broken. The normal voltage reading at the field terminals will vary from 3 to 6 volts when working correctly.

It’s always a good idea to clean battery terminals and check for bad grounds before spending money on replacement parts.

My alternator turned out to be bad and I had 9 volts at the field terminals. It was the diodes inside that were bad.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version Name: gen.jpg Views: 6 Size: 87.5 KB ID: 16932
Old 11-16-2007, 10:11 PM
DTR Founder

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
hmmmmmm, not a bad idea. Let me see if I can get something like that going. Not bad at all. For now though, you could report a post and put that in your subject line, that it would be good to add over there. Thanks for the tip!
Old 11-19-2007, 10:58 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No problem!
Old 11-19-2007, 12:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jack with soo many people interested in the Auto Manual swap out that thread might be a good one to add to the wiki.