Site News News and updates about the site.

The End of an Era but the Beginning of a New Age

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2011, 08:57 PM
Administrator / Severe Concussion Aficionado

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by hoffdog
Looks like the ads have showed up.
I dont see any additional amount of ads from the last 6 or months (if not better)

Old 06-01-2011, 09:13 PM
Administrator/Jarhead

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
I've only seen them in one different place so far... they're not that bad. Some websites have ads in-between every third post...
Old 06-02-2011, 07:29 AM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by madhat
I've only seen them in one different place so far... they're not that bad. Some websites have ads in-between every third post...
I guess I'm not real observant because I haven't seen ANY additional ads from whatever we've had in the past. Maybe that makes me a part of the 'establishment' now and I can make the big executive pay!
Old 06-02-2011, 10:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Use an adblocker and you won't see any of them. The are free also.
Old 06-02-2011, 10:17 AM
Administrator / Severe Concussion Aficionado

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by chaikwa
I guess I'm not real observant because I haven't seen ANY additional ads from whatever we've had in the past. Maybe that makes me a part of the 'establishment' now and I can make the big executive pay!
I just talked to all the IB guys....

They said that they will double what you make now.
Old 06-02-2011, 12:00 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Blake Clark
I just talked to all the IB guys....

They said that they will double what you make now.
You gotta know how to play the game son.
Old 06-03-2011, 08:50 AM
DTR Founder

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Purplezr2
Use an adblocker and you won't see any of them. The are free also.
Nothing against you as I'm sure you're a fine person but I've always thought that the folks who take advantage of the wealth of information on this FREE site and then go back and block all of the ads or disregard using the store when they make a purchase are just pulling money out of the pockets of the site owner. What I mean by this is that Lary and I never intended to be millionaires on this site. We wanted enough to pay the bills. Users who do this kind of thing take the info but help us do neither. I've always thought of it as a bit selfish but hey it takes all kinds to make a world, right?
Old 06-03-2011, 04:52 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by jthorpe
Nothing against you as I'm sure you're a fine person but I've always thought that the folks who take advantage of the wealth of information on this FREE site and then go back and block all of the ads or disregard using the store when they make a purchase are just pulling money out of the pockets of the site owner. What I mean by this is that Lary and I never intended to be millionaires on this site. We wanted enough to pay the bills. Users who do this kind of thing take the info but help us do neither. I've always thought of it as a bit selfish but hey it takes all kinds to make a world, right?
And to be less politically correct; "Hooray for me, the heck with you". It's the mentality of the world now. I hate it.
Old 06-03-2011, 08:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jthorpe
It's a two way street. If you had no members you would have no advertisers. Those who participate with info help pay your bills without reading ads or using the store. Personally I have spent huge amounts of time on this site and the others building "how to's" and hosting them on my own site. I often link to them just so I don't have to retype stuff. Also spend tons of time leaving responses and helping others. A couple of times I got a bunch of crap and got accused of advertising when I wasn't. I had my signature forcefully edited, not because it had links in it to advertisers.... but because if you picked the link to my "Truck Info" you found my articles there... some had links in them to the manufacturer. Never was there any intention of subliminal advertising, if that's what you want to call it, but that's really a bit over the top for me. But heck.... that's the rules

All I'm saying is... we put time in too and don't like being slapped around. I left the site for a while I was so annoyed. You should have seen some of the PM's. I thought I was in the military.

And while I'm on my tirade maybe now the time between doing searches can be shortened. Every time I asked about that I got a not so sweetheart response. This is the only forum I know of that has such a long wait between searches.

I hope you guys did well with the deal and make some money over all of this. You deserve it. All of us who put our time in don't expect a piece of the action but maybe we will see some changes for the better. That would be payment enough.

Truth be told... and tell it like it is.

Flame suit on.
Old 06-06-2011, 10:31 AM

Thanks for all the hard work guys. This has always been a top notch site run by great folks. I'm glad that we still get to see you guys on here too.
Old 06-06-2011, 04:20 PM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Originally Posted by hoot
It's a two way street. If you had no members you would have no advertisers. Those who participate with info help pay your bills without reading ads or using the store. Personally I have spent huge amounts of time on this site and the others building "how to's" and hosting them on my own site. I often link to them just so I don't have to retype stuff. Also spend tons of time leaving responses and helping others. A couple of times I got a bunch of crap and got accused of advertising when I wasn't. I had my signature forcefully edited, not because it had links in it to advertisers.... but because if you picked the link to my "Truck Info" you found my articles there... some had links in them to the manufacturer. Never was there any intention of subliminal advertising, if that's what you want to call it, but that's really a bit over the top for me. But heck.... that's the rules
This is what happens when you try to circumvent the forum rules that you agreed to when registering on this forum. Clearly the rules state that ONLY our Sponsors are allowed to have advertising links in their signatures, you are expected to be aware of the rules when you post here and violating signatures will be removed.

All I'm saying is... we put time in too and don't like being slapped around. I left the site for a while I was so annoyed. You should have seen some of the PM's. I thought I was in the military.
What you are CLEARLY saying here is you are STILL annoyed that you were caught advertising and still upset because the ads were removed from your signature. Had it been simply a misunderstanding as you attempt to portray it, you would not be annoyed by them being removed. Had you ever been in the Military, you would understand that communication does not have to be sugar coated, I have a tendency to talk to guys here thinking they are MEN and sometimes a guy like you comes along that does not understand how MEN talk to each other, and then gets his pantys in a wad because he feels disrespected.

And while I'm on my tirade maybe now the time between doing searches can be shortened. Every time I asked about that I got a not so sweetheart response. This is the only forum I know of that has such a long wait between searches.
It always amazes me how some guys will make stuff up in an attempt to bolster there argument simply because they are incapable of admitting they were wrong about something You claim you got a not so sweetheart response when you asked about the search issue (more of that Man talk you are not accustomed to)..... Here is a copy of the responses you received from that thread.

From me : The real problem is a denial of service attack, if we allow the searches any quicker than that they can shut us down by getting multiple infected computers to all hammer the search engine and servers at once.

The sixty second delay is a safety factor that is not going to go away.
Nothing mean about that, just straight forward information so you can understand why it is necessary for security on the forum.

My partner Jack responds with: "What Lary said. It's kind of a safety measure that we need to keep in place. In addition, the database for this website only continues to grow and that's why I encourage people to use the google search box that's provided on the search page. It really does work pretty well IMO." Again nothing mean there just information to help you understand why we have it that way. Jack even goes on to tell you how to use the Google search to get around that issue and you reply with

You: "I just tested the Google search. I like it!"

Looks to me like you got accurate and concise answers to your question and you were happy at the outcome ............You don't have to take my word for it, you can see the thread yourself here https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...99#post2776899

I hope you guys did well with the deal and make some money over all of this. You deserve it. All of us who put our time in don't expect a piece of the action but maybe we will see some changes for the better. That would be payment enough.

Truth be told... and tell it like it is.

Flame suit on.
I wish you had been able to tell the truth, maybe when you get a little older and mature some you will be able to "truth be told and tell it like it is" right now all it is just more whiny complaints from somebody that got something for free and now he wants his money back...
Old 06-06-2011, 04:54 PM
Old Mopar Aficionado Extraordinaire

Ahhhh Now I see Lary. I misunderstood the info I mentioned to you a couple of weeks ago. My apologies.

I guess it's a good move. We lose the personal touch. But we seem to have a good group of admins. (even if some are old PPPPPFFFFFFTTTTTTTTTT's)
Old 06-06-2011, 05:25 PM

There you go. Exactly what I'm talking about. I never worked for, was affiliated with or cared who bought anything from a business perspective. I'm in the aerospace business and never was associated with diesel shops, stores ever. The links were on my personal, non business related web space, only as reference for the how-to articles I wrote to help others. There were no links in my signature to any advertisers. By the way, how many links deep do the rules allow before a link to an advertiser breaks the rules? In other words, if you click on the link in my signature and it takes you to a how-to article on my web space, then there is a link there that takes you to another folder that has a link that goes to another site that has a link to a product manufacturer.... does that break the rules?

I'll leave it go as you calling me a liar.

As far as the search thing goes.... gimmy a break. This is the only forum have been a member of with such a ridiculous wait time between searches. How come this is the only forum with these issues?

Unsubscribed from this thread and happy for the change.
Old 06-06-2011, 06:11 PM
I grad-u-ated frum Claudes skool of tpying....

As I have been on and off this site due to work and other life activity's I was surprised when this week I found out the site was sold. As yet I have seen nothing changed, doesn't mean I missed something,but I have looked. I have joined other diesel site's, two that are very good sized. I haven't gone back to them though, I wasn't really impressed with the shall we say the attitude of the other members. I look at it this way if the new owners go forward with thoughtfullness and foresite of Jack and Lary, what do i have to worry about? If this site wasn't here I would be lost in a bleak world driving a ford or chevy. Thank you Jack an Lary for a great site, not just for diesel info, but for friends too.
Old 06-06-2011, 07:23 PM
DTR Founder

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Hoot as for the search issue how about you build one on one box with 100k members then let me know how it goes for ya Mr. Tech genius. If you haven't done that then u don't know what you're talking about. On top of That what a stupid thing to whine about... cry me a river. Don't like it? Leave

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Quick Reply: The End of an Era but the Beginning of a New Age