Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   Site News (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/site-news-88/)
-   -   Christmas donations for a much needed new server (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/site-news-88/christmas-donations-much-needed-new-server-35916/)

Lary Ellis (Top) 12-18-2003 01:53 AM

Christmas donations for a much needed new server

Any one feeling the holiday spirit, that would be happy to help DTR buy a new server, can make a donation for that very purpose here.

It is of course strictly voluntary, and it will be appreciated more than mere words can convey this fine holiday season.

To donate send your check to;
Lary Ellis DTR General Manager
649 Houston Road
Bluefield, West Virginia 24701

Any and all contributions will be placed in the new server fund, and all of us here at DTR appreciate anything you can scrape together as a donation.

God bless you all and Merry Christmas from the gang at DTR!

cwbronc 12-18-2003 04:05 AM

Re:Christmas donations for a much needed new server

I'm sorry that I am a student in college right now or I would help, but I noticed that your mail was to bluefield!!! I live in princeton and have been looking for someone around that knew his stuff for CTDs. Where do you get work done? other Q's I'll pm you if you wouldn't mind. I hope I can pick your brain for local info for my CTD. Thanks- Cody

crobtex 12-18-2003 09:34 AM

Top,
Who do the checks need to be made out to?

CR

Lary Ellis (Top) 12-18-2003 09:40 AM

You can make the check out directly to me or DTR, either way I will be putting it in the new server fund ;)

Thanks for your help :)

Redleg 12-18-2003 10:41 AM

I like the new format, and the sight has helped with some financial decisions. Plus it makes me feel cool that I only drive a 1st Gen. Check going out this week.
Don

wannadiesel 12-18-2003 05:02 PM

Lary- Can you give us an update in a month or so on how much you get? I'm hoping it works out to at least a buck a member.

Mexstan 12-18-2003 05:08 PM

Suggestion: Post how much is needed and then keep posting as the money comes in so that we can all see how much closer the goal is getting. This way just maybe more members may chip in. Maybe make a 'thermometer' and put this at the top of the main page so that we can see what is happening every time we check in.

wannadiesel 12-18-2003 05:11 PM

Stan, I like your idea even better than mine!

Jack Thorpe 12-18-2003 05:21 PM

I priced one out today, and it's about 7500 bucks. I am going to look for cheaper pricing, but given the fact that our growth rate is so high, I don't want to have to go through this in another year. By overbuilding a little bit now, we can last longer before this happens again.

Dell PE 2600 dual 2.8 ghz processors
2 GHZ DDR RAM
800mhz bus
5x73GB 15k RPM SCSI HDD RAID 5
Redhat Linux 9 etc etc.

I am also planning a change to Vbulletin software for the forums in the next 6-12 months. This software just can't handle the load anymore either. That's another 200 bucks. On top of that comes a photo gallery with many more features, and the ability to put links to galleries in profiles. The price for that software is another 300 bucks. We're moving from freeware to commercial grade stuff here folks :) Exciting, but expensive.

By the way, we're averaging over 400,000 hits per day, and over 5000 unique users per day.

Today we hit a record of over 700 posts in one day.

In October alone we registered over 630 new users with an average of 20-30 new users per day.

We got 655 hits for "dodge diesel" in November from search engines. That doesn't include the other 2500 hits from search engines on different terms.

Total hits for November 10.9 million. It's going up this month and we should break 12-15 million. Pretty cool eh?

We are by far the fastest growing Dodge site on the net and the trend only looks for expanded growth. With the good comes bad. I shell out some cash to keep it running, so any bit of money helps. I don't want to have to make it a pay site someday, but that day may come in the next year or two if I can't keep up.

amartinson 12-18-2003 05:24 PM

That's great news and info Jack! You should post those stats more often, they are fun to read. My check is in the mail.

Dieseldude4x4 12-18-2003 05:27 PM

Jack, just put a check for $50 in the mail to Top. That is still pretty cheap for the enjoyment I get from here. Hope it helps in a little way and may encourage others to send in a buck or two. If even half of the members sent in just two bucks, by my kindergarden calculations, that should help.

Lets go folks, look in the couch and the car seats and see if you can scrape up a buck or two and send to Lary for the new server. We enjoy this site so lets use our numbers to help out.

Dieseldude4x4

crobtex 12-18-2003 05:27 PM

WOW!!!!! :-*

CR

crobtex 12-18-2003 05:36 PM

I'll send my Christmas present next week. :) :) :)

CR

AKDSLDOG 12-18-2003 08:08 PM

Just filled out the christmas card with a little goody in there for the site. ;)

To all members, I know this is a hard time of year to part with the little funds most of us have, but if everyone gave $1.00 it would more than pay for what we need here at DTR. I love this place and spend probly more time than I should online here ::), but it's a great place to be. Great company! 8)
I'm droppin ya $50.00 for the cause.

P.S. Lary (TOP) Do I owe dues too ???.

Dieseldude4x4 12-19-2003 05:55 AM

Way to go guys, don't worry if you can't spare $50, some are less fortunate than others and some are blessed with the ability to share. This is a bad time of year to raise funds on one hand but on the other hand, the season of giving is upon us. I'm sure Lary will be glad to get anything you can send whether it's a buck or just some change lying around. Lary doesn't make a dime off the contributions and Jack forks out quite a bit to keep the place running as good as it does so lets see if we can help out. Kinda like PBS and their annual fund drive eh?

dieseldude4x4