1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

What did you do to your Gen 1 today?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2018, 04:45 AM
KRB

Received 495 Likes on 349 Posts
Could you source some originals, even from a scrap yard, and hone & rebuild or are kits even available anymore? Or are they crap now too?

I've still got the originals in mine... but I probably just jinxed myself...
Old 02-06-2018, 07:41 AM

Received 1,637 Likes on 1,112 Posts
Originally Posted by KRB
Could you source some originals, even from a scrap yard, and hone & rebuild or are kits even available anymore? Or are they crap now too?

I've still got the originals in mine... but I probably just jinxed myself...
I
remember rebuilding them on my 1968 Barracuda back in the early 80s. Not sure what the quality of, or even availability of rebuild kits today.

Is it the metal pitting causing the seals to fail, or the seals just failing???
Ugh..

The things we do, for the ones we love.
The following users liked this post:
MrFusion (02-06-2018)
Old 02-06-2018, 12:23 PM

Received 1,037 Likes on 762 Posts
Originally Posted by NJTman
I

Ugh..

The things we do, for the ones we love.
I hope you're talking about your wife. Otherwise you could be sleeping in your truck.
Old 02-06-2018, 12:49 PM

Received 214 Likes on 117 Posts

added a couple stickers to my truck last week.
The following users liked this post:
Blue Goose (02-06-2018)
Old 02-06-2018, 12:51 PM

Old 02-06-2018, 12:54 PM

Played tug of war with about 15k pounds worth of trash compactor, in a retirement community.... it had blown out wheels, so it was really fun pushing it back in... 4 minutes of tugging, pushing, tire smoking, turbo whining Smokey work. The crowd went wild when I finally got it in! One of the elders came up to me and said “that’s the best show I’ve seen since my honeymoon in 1958”
The following 4 users liked this post by 73CrewCab:
1STGENFARMBOY (02-07-2018), MrFusion (02-06-2018), NJTman (02-07-2018), thrashingcows (02-06-2018)
Old 02-06-2018, 02:18 PM

Received 1,331 Likes on 862 Posts
Originally Posted by 73CrewCab
Played tug of war with about 15k pounds worth of trash compactor, in a retirement community.... it had blown out wheels, so it was really fun pushing it back in... 4 minutes of tugging, pushing, tire smoking, turbo whining Smokey work. The crowd went wild when I finally got it in! One of the elders came up to me and said “that’s the best show I’ve seen since my honeymoon in 1958”

Nice!!!!........
Old 02-07-2018, 01:42 PM

Received 54 Likes on 38 Posts
I just checked the lift pump. I’m now thinking of turning the pre-boost fueling screw clockwise half a turn to see what that does. I just want to try and get the turbos to spoil a little faster as sometimes I get through an intersection before it spoils. I don’t want to do this for a ton of smoke, just a tiny bit more power. I also don’t want to have egts through the roof as I don’t yet have gauges. I’m going to have to order those one at a time. I’ll order the pyro first with a 3 gauge pillar pod (glowshift), and an ISSPRO pyro with color coding for when my dad borrows the truck. Will half a turn make my egts crazy? Right now it is tuned very conservatively by an experienced mechanic on these trucks. I’m guessing egts are low as it barely hazes when I punch it.
Old 02-07-2018, 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by edwinsmith
I hope you're talking about your wife. Otherwise you could be sleeping in your truck.
Nope, I was speaking about my truck.....

Old 02-07-2018, 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by 1stGEN'93
I just checked the lift pump. I’m now thinking of turning the pre-boost fueling screw clockwise half a turn to see what that does. I just want to try and get the turbos to spoil a little faster as sometimes I get through an intersection before it spoils. I don’t want to do this for a ton of smoke, just a tiny bit more power. I also don’t want to have egts through the roof as I don’t yet have gauges. I’m going to have to order those one at a time. I’ll order the pyro first with a 3 gauge pillar pod (glowshift), and an ISSPRO pyro with color coding for when my dad borrows the truck. Will half a turn make my egts crazy? Right now it is tuned very conservatively by an experienced mechanic on these trucks. I’m guessing egts are low as it barely hazes when I punch it.
That's what I bought, and I'm happy with it. You can configure it how you want it to be, with moving each part of the gauge to the other sector. I chose the outer rim to be the EXH EGT's, and the Fuel pressure and boost inside. Because these units have a dozen colors to choose from by just pressing a button, I can make the color be what I need at the time. Usually, at night, I run the red color, and during the day, I run the green color. I wish they were more "dim-able", but it's fine. Some colors are brighter than others, as seen here with the green chosen.

Either way, it works out for me. Had it for a few years now, and works great.
Attached Thumbnails What did you do to your Gen 1 today?-1017161847a.jpg  
Old 02-07-2018, 02:17 PM

That's what I bought, and I'm happy with it. You can configure it how you want it to be, with moving each part of the gauge to the other sector. I chose the outer rim to be the EXH EGT's, and the Fuel pressure and boost inside. Because these units have a dozen colors to choose from by just pressing a button, I can make the color be what I need at the time. Usually, at night, I run the red color, and during the day, I run the green color. I wish they were more "dim-able", but it's fine. Some colors are brighter than others, as seen here with the green chosen.

Either way, it works out for me. Had it for a few years now, and works great.
I don’t have anything against GlowShift gauges, but I was planning on just getting their pillar pod that holds 3 gauges and then getting ISSPRO gauges. I was going to get Autometer gauges at first, but then was going to get GlowShifts to save some money. I’ve also decided the gauges are about the same. Most of the time people don’t have problems with any of them. Then you get on here where there are thousands of people and they say that they are all junk between everybody. I simply like the ISSPRO EV2 gauges because the pyro can be acquired with color coding for the temperature. The GlowShifts are cool since you can change color, but they don’t offer the color coding. I don’t think my dad knows that you want to start letting off the go pedal at 1200 if you have the probe pre-turbo, so I figure the color coding on the ISSPROs is probably a good idea for me. They are a little more money, but such is life.

From that I would get the pod and the pyro. Then I would save up for a trans temp gauge. After that I would get a fuel pressure and eventually a tach. All from ISSPRO just so they match. Again, I have nothing against any of the brands other than I like the color coding available in the ISSPRO pyro. I wish the Autometers had led lighting without getting a white gauge face too. All should have a color coded pyro as an option in my opinion.

Anywho, anyone have an idea of how much half a turn on the pre-boost screw would affect my egts? I’m not doing this for smoke (not really into that), but simply to make it so the turbo spools a little faster. Kind of annoying to be flooring it trying to clear an intersection and THEN have the turbo spool after you’ve cleared it hoping you make it. Not going for smoke, just a little more drive ability.

P.S. Notice how much I repeated the fact I’m not going for a bunch of smoke? In fact, I would be happy with zero smoke. That just means efficiency. Here I go again repeating it. Must mean it is important. I hate people making their trucks pour out smoke like a train. Makes the green freaks whine to the EPA and put pointless systems on the new trucks
Old 02-07-2018, 03:17 PM

1/2 turn shouldn't be a problem if you're not planning on drag racing, full pedal, up a mountain anytime soon. Turbo lag from the exh housing being 18.5 to 21cm is the real issue. Your exhaust temps won't be that high because you're still running the stock exhaust housing. If you put a 14 cm unit on there, without gauges, I'd be worried. Just don't keep on it , full throttle, for long periods of time, as the instant you back off on the pedal, it stops rising, and starts to descend back.
The day I installed the 3200 governor spring, was the magical moment I was hooked into these engines
Old 02-07-2018, 03:43 PM

1/2 turn shouldn't be a problem if you're not planning on drag racing, full pedal, up a mountain anytime soon. Turbo lag from the exh housing being 18.5 to 21cm is the real issue. Your exhaust temps won't be that high because you're still running the stock exhaust housing. If you put a 14 cm unit on there, without gauges, I'd be worried. Just don't keep on it , full throttle, for long periods of time, as the instant you back off on the pedal, it stops rising, and starts to descend back.
The day I installed the 3200 governor spring, was the magical moment I was hooked into these engines
Maybe I better wait. I have to go up some pretty steep hills to get home from town. My truck has a hard time doing 65 up some of the hills so I sometimes find my foot on the floor without realizing it when I try to keep the speed with the flow of traffic. On top of that, today on the way home from school I set the cruise at the speed limit (65) and the cruise control had the pedal glued to the floor and then had the throttle cable pushed through into the cab past the pedal another 1/2 inch or so. Hopefully it isn’t getting too hot doing that. Truck doesn’t seem to be revving too much when going down the highway at the said speed either, so not sure what the deal is. I wish it was a manual so I had a little more control and more gears to choose from.

What size would my exhaust housing be with an hx35? It’s just a stock hx35
Old 02-07-2018, 03:52 PM

Received 1,331 Likes on 862 Posts
Originally Posted by 1stGEN'93

Maybe I better wait. I have to go up some pretty steep hills to get home from town. What size would my exhaust housing be with an hx35? It’s just a stock hx35

Should be a 12cm housing on a HX35. I have a 14cm unit on my truck now and with the NV4500 I think it would work better with a 12cm....or better yet a HE351.
Old 02-07-2018, 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by 73CrewCab
Did you set yourself up with a nice "Date" for the Night ? I heard you like those "retired" ladies, as they are quite accommodating for younger men. Might bake you some cookies, or a bit more for your performance.

Quick Reply: What did you do to your Gen 1 today?