Go Back  Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums > Other / Non Diesel Related > Political Discussion
Reload this Page >

How much damage do you think Trump does to the US economy?

Political Discussion Discuss politics here. Complete political forum with a wide range of discussion.

Old 06-17-2019, 01:21 PM

Received 135 Likes on 121 Posts

I'm interested in your opinions on something that is vigorously discussed over here.
How much (if any) damage does Trump do to the US economy-
for example the whole Huawei shebang- where US companies sell chips and whatnots for US$ 11 billion per year to Huawei- and now are barred from doing it.
Is this offset by other companies needing the same parts to produce their phones?
There are some more examples of decisions that are not understandable to me when I read the tweets of the President of the United States of America.
(And that I understand even less if I read the economic and political analysts over here..)
Old 06-17-2019, 06:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
He has helped the economy. Look at the stats.
Old 06-17-2019, 09:59 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

US Jobless Rate Unchanged at 49-Year Low.

https://tradingeconomics.com/united-states/unemployment-rate

Yup, he sure appears to do some pretty stupid things alright. But he can't be doing that much damage to the economy when you see the above stat.
Old 06-17-2019, 10:55 PM

Received 61 Likes on 54 Posts
Trump is doing amazing things in America and the economy is booming. The best thing you can do is stop watching the news because even the most conservative media cherry picks what they feel will offer the best ratings. If the news media actually told the truth and reported on factual news that matters this world would be a completely different place...
Old 06-18-2019, 01:07 AM

So, we've got three people who answered, thank you.

Still, I don't understand.. does the good stats only reflect stuff that is not influenced by Trump or is it just inertia that keeps the numbers nice? That's what I read over here, it seems to be seen very differently by a lot of US citizens, and I want to know why.
Old 06-18-2019, 08:36 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The US has become extremely divided politically with the media leaning heavily liberal. The left has made stalling or destroying Trump it's almost sole focus to the exclusion of virtually everything else. As a result, only the news that puts his actions in a bad light are published.

Economically his tax cuts and support of business have greatly improved nearly all working Americans. Unemployment in the minority sectors is at historic lows and actual money in the pocket of workers has improved dramatically since he's been in office. His desire to reduce dependency on government support programs is a threat to the democrats who use that to entice voters. His predecessor publicly announced that the economy would never improve to previous levels and that we would need to adjust to that fact. After Trump's unexpected election, that prediction was soon proven invalid and the press was infuriated that their favorite was proven wrong,

All the above is my personal opinion, of course, based on 77 years of experience in this still great country.
Old 06-18-2019, 09:02 AM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

Received 62 Likes on 45 Posts
I do not follow the mainstream lying media and as much as possible look for real news elsewhere. It is sickeningly obvious that the mainstream media stopped reporting real news decades ago and are progressively getting worse and reporting their biased views. Or getting better at false news and lying, depending on your viewpoint. The real news that I read appear to indicate that Trump has done a great job on reviving the American economy, but cannot do all he wants to do due to constant road blocks by left leaning politicians and the lying media.
The following 3 users liked this post by Mexstan:
Danderson (07-07-2019), HMX-1 (06-18-2019), Lary Ellis (Top) (06-18-2019)
Old 06-18-2019, 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by AlpineRAM View Post
So, we've got three people who answered, thank you.

Still, I don't understand.. does the good stats only reflect stuff that is not influenced by Trump or is it just inertia that keeps the numbers nice? That's what I read over here, it seems to be seen very differently by a lot of US citizens, and I want to know why.
This truck forum isnt very political...and thats not a bad thing either. Take a jaunt around TDR and you'll find the off topic politics section quite numerous and expressive.

As for what you're seeing about Trump, where you live is always going to be negative in the sense that America stands different than the rest of the world. The freedom of speech, freedom of religion, and the right to arm yourself are very precious things, and what makes this country amazing...but also difficult for legislation to push around their agendas and/or simply take over as some form of dictatorship. The liberal americans (oxymoron) are those who are willing to give those precious things up for sake of having the Gov control their lives because they would rather do less for little than be able to have whatever they want using their own capacity to do so.

But nonetheless, as I mentioned before, if you watch the major news medias you'll have a very skewed and misguided view of whats really going on in this great country. There isnt a big divide of people but rather a majority of us who are simply going through their day to day lives working and living life with a mere moderate take on everything. The media doesnt talk about those people but rather centers their sights on the extremists trying to make the rest of us feel like they speak for all of us. Far far from the truth. The majority of Americans dont want to be like Europe anymore and other countries are not OK with that...
The following users liked this post:
NJTman (07-07-2019)
Old 06-18-2019, 01:12 PM

Well, I've got interesting answers here and by PM, but I still fail to understand much.

Basically my take is not that I would want to make America more European- and also not really vice versa. I just want to understand both sides a little better.

What really puzzles me is the media, and Trumps tweets.. (Which are going out into the world from him directly without filtering through the media)
I did read more about US companies like Intel and some others trying to get back the opportunity to sell to Huawei in European media than in US media.
Old 06-18-2019, 01:52 PM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

Just read something that may help to clarify this a bit. What follows is an extract from a longer article and have just copied and pasted;

President Trump is condemned, but what has he done? He’s guilty of the greatest economic boom in America in perhaps the past century. He’s guilty of trying to prevent the murder of children. He’s guilty of trying to protect America from being overrun by illegal aliens and terrorists. He’s guilty of placing the interests of America and her people before the interests of other countries. He’s guilty of not being ashamed of America or her people. He’s guilty of sacrificing a life of comfort to serve America for free, donating every paycheck earned as president. The list of accomplishments by President Trump extend far beyond that which I’ve just mentioned – yet he is condemned on a level not experienced by Hitler, Stalin, Mao or Lenin.
The following 2 users liked this post by Mexstan:
KATOOM (06-18-2019), NJTman (06-18-2019)
Old 06-18-2019, 04:37 PM

Hey Stan- do you have a link for the article you posted?

And I never meant to accuse him of anything- my question was and is written in search of understanding the gap between media I read over here and the perception of people reading media one ocean closer to Trump.
Old 06-18-2019, 04:42 PM

Sure I do. Here it is; https://www.wnd.com/2019/06/trumps-t...mercy-for-u-s/

Another link that may be of interest to you is; https://bwcentral.org/2018/02/the-salty-sailor/
Old 06-18-2019, 04:48 PM

Thank you, will read them after sleeping.. close to midnight over here!
Old 06-18-2019, 05:48 PM

Talking

Originally Posted by AlpineRAM View Post
What really puzzles me is the media, and Trumps tweets.. (Which are going out into the world from him directly without filtering through the media)
Look at Trumps tweets like this... It offers more transparency than any other President in US history. So no one can say they didnt know what he's thinking or what he wants. Why wouldnt anyone want that??? I can tell you that the liberals dont want that because Trump tweets whats going on with all parties of the Gov and who's doing what or not doing what.
Can his tweets be raw?...yes, they certainly can be. But he speaks his mind just as if he was pulling his thoughts directly from the American people who voted him in. Again, thats what people wanted. And thats why when Trump has rallies, tens upon tens of thousands of people drive from states away just to show up with hopes to get in before the venue is jam packed. Then...if those people cant get in, Trump has been known to ask that gigantic TV screens be set outside so those people get to hear and see what the people inside do. I've been to one of his rallies too and it was pretty spectacular to see so many people gathered for their passion about America. Oh and let me be clear about what I just said... Those people are passionate about "AMERICA", not Trump. Trump just happens to be the catalyst for making America what Americans want.
By the way, wanna know how many people attended Obama's last rally?...around 2000. What about Biden last rally you ask?...how about a mere 200. LOL
NJTman (06-18-2019)
Old 06-18-2019, 06:14 PM

Received 1,246 Likes on 855 Posts
People (the scumbag media included) can say whatever they want. I'm a results oriented kind of guy. I base judgment on people on what they do, and not what they say. The President has attempted to accomplish everything he said he was going to do, most of which I agreed with to vote for him as president. I live in NJ, so my vote really didn't count, but it made me feel good to know I voted for what potentially can be the best president this country has ever seen. Yes, it's possible.

Is he an anus ? Yup. He says the dumbest stuff.

He's thin skinned. Yup. He can't take any criticism. Normal for rich little boys who never grew up.

Does he know how to affect people. Hell yeah ! What you and I see as idiotic in his behavior, or what he says, in realty may be a calculated effort on his part. He likes to screw with the media, re-directing their attention, while doing his background dealings without interference.

Do I think he's crooked ? Well, in order to anser that, I would have to ask.... Was Obama Crooked ? Was JFK ? Was FDR ? Was Lincoln ?

I think that all of them are to a degree promoting things to serve their own purpose. I think that "MOST" politicians are crooked, and aren't worth the gallon of gasoline you would take to light them up on fire, while they were tied to a post in a central square. That is why I voted for President Trump. He wasn't the standard, run of the mill politician, and wasn't being paid off by anyone to run his campaign, therefore he owed no one anything.

If President Trump fulfills the "clean out the swamp" promise, I think that this country could / would be successful for decades to come. Unfortunately, it's his own party of backstabbing RINO's that are also part of the problem, and his idea to clean out the swamp is truly appropriate, IMO.

Back to the theory that I'm a results oriented kind of guy.

Everywhere in this state people are making money.
......spending money
......renovating their homes
......Buying new homes
......Building new homes.
......reclaiming old decrepit homes and fully restoring them to live in condition
......paving roads
......rebuilding bridges
and on and on...and on...

This year will be the most profitable year on record for me, if the second half of the year continues the first years trend. Last year was my best year ever, and this year (if continued) will surpass that.

The construction industry is a reflection of the economy, IMO. The simple fact that entire developments which were abandoned just 3 years ago, are now either fully rebuilt, or are in the process.

A perfect example:

My wife's good friend lives in a "poorer" section of town. 3 years ago, there were 20 PLUS homes that were abandoned. The owner's just left, as that "oh so godlike Obama" economy devestated their lives, and left them with nothing. I went back there the other day. EVERY home has been purchased and is either completely renovated, or in the process. That deserted, blight opressed neighborhood, which the average house sold for $125,000 back in 2015 is now alive, vibrant and humming along to a new beat. A house that couldn't have fetched that $125,000 just 4 years ago, sold the other day in a bidding war between two buyers for $385,000. It's insanty ! The house was gutted, filled with granite counters, fancy tile, new windows, roof, siding, and the works. It's a brand new 1950's (1200 square foot) box that just sold for $385,000 !! Crazy. But true.

I have never witnessed a time in my 52 years in which so many homes are being built, renovated, repaired and upgraded as I do now. This is the reason why this year will be my best year ever, financially.

Trump as done NOTHING other than Great things for this country. I can't wait to vote for him again.

Back to what people say and not what they do.... Most, if not all politicians will LIE to your face, and tell you they're going to take care of you once they are voted in. If you believe that then you need to go hang out in AOC's part of Brooklyn, and ask the residents there why she's completely abandoned them since taking office.

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/w...wn-ny-district

I don't care about what things President Trump says about idiotic topics. I care about the fact that he's fulfilling his promises, for what's good for the country, one task at a time.
KATOOM (06-18-2019)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How much damage do you think Trump does to the US economy?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.