Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/performance-accessories-2nd-gen-only-91/)
-   -   Window Tinting (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/performance-accessories-2nd-gen-only-91/window-tinting-61013/)

AggiePhil 02-11-2005 01:42 PM

Window Tinting

I want to get my windows tinted, but don't know what people usually do about the fact that the rear three windows are already tinted from the factory. Do y'all usually use a more transparent tint on those windows so all the windows in the truck wind up looking the same, or do y'all prefer to have the rear three windows wind up being darker than the front two side windows? Thanks a lot. :)

jj3500 02-11-2005 01:57 PM

i had ALL my windows done. the rears were done over the factory tint making them slightly darker than the front ones. i also did the windshield. yes, windshield. the truck is black with tan leather int. looks sharp.

ramtd02 02-11-2005 02:04 PM

be careful when tinting windows. Every state, and province has its own laws. Here the back three windows can be painted black if you like. However the windshield cant be touched, and the side windows can be no darker than 50%. The cops here will make you tear it off!!. Trust me nothing is more dispariging than watching money wasted!!

RowJ 02-11-2005 02:32 PM

I tinted my others to match the two rear, side windows...for a uniform look all around. It's personal preference, I guess, but two different shade of tint looks unprofessional to me.

I agree, it's illegal (the 8 states I've lived in, incl.Tx), to tint front windshield...unless you have diplomatic plates.

RJ

AggiePhil 02-11-2005 03:56 PM

I'm aware that there are legalities. I found this webpage that has a chart, but there's no telling if it's correct or not. Either way, Texas has a pretty low limit, so I'm not too concerned about the laws.

I'm more wondering what percentages you guys have. Like if I wanted to go a little bit darker on the rears and a lot darker on the fronts, then wind up having it all be the same level of darkness, what percentages do y'all think I should go with?

mkubacak 02-11-2005 08:41 PM

Talk to some of your local tint shops and see if they can guarantee an exact match or no charge to you. Since the law is written based on percentage of light transmitted, they may have a doohickey that will measure the factory tint and they can use an appropriate tint to match. Or, maybe they have done what you want before and can easily duplicate it.

condensr 02-12-2005 02:21 AM

The least restrictive rules regarding windshield tinting usually only allow you to tint down to the 'AS1' line, which is where the factory 'tint' on windshields usually stops too.

Check in with a local tint shop regarding laws and stuff.

[Edit to remove part about how to get illegal tinting]

95ram 02-12-2005 03:03 AM

I have 2.5 % on the three back windows. This is on top of the privacy glass. It sucks. I cant see out my back window at night. But I had to do this to keep the sun out of my daughters eys (backward facing car seat).

JBlock 02-12-2005 08:17 AM

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...&postid=592588
Reply w/Quote

I have the same problem with the Suburban I purchase from Arozina, you have to roll the windows down to backup even with two 55 watt bulb Lighting kits on the rear.

Be careful, tinting the front window, I use a product that berium metal in it to cut down on the sun transmission when I lived in California, it work well and did not effect the tint too much.
[whistle] [whistle] [whistle]

AggiePhil 02-12-2005 05:11 PM

Originally posted by condensr
The least restrictive rules regarding windshield tinting usually only allow you to tint down to the 'AS1' line, which is where the factory 'tint' on windshields usually stops too.
This refers to the front windshield, which I am not interested in tinting. Only the side four windows and the rear glass, as I said in the original post.

BigBlue 02-12-2005 07:03 PM

30% is legal on the front windows in Texas. I've got 30% up front and 20% in the rear.

AggiePhil 02-12-2005 07:45 PM

Your 30% up front is legal. Your 20% on the rear sides is not.

kevellis32 02-13-2005 03:45 PM

I believe that the rear window is at 20% and that is legal but it will not match your front and remain legal. Your rear windows are factory tinted, I had our tinter at the dealership i work at match my front with my rear. It is not legal to do that but i highly doubt that a police officer will notice. In colorado the legal limit for front windows is 27%, so it may vary from state to state.

BigBlue 02-13-2005 05:26 PM

The rear windows can be painted black in Texas. I've been told this by several shops. The front windows can only be 30% but the back windows (including the sides) can be as dark as you want. I wanted 20% up front as well but the shop would only allow me to go as low as legally possible. The backs they didn't care about.

mkubacak 02-13-2005 05:40 PM

That makes sense. How else would you account for a class 8 and other OTR trucks with a sleeper. Most do not have rear windows. They just have the windshield and a side glass on each side. They have much stricter regulations than your average pickup driver.