Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/performance-accessories-2nd-gen-only-91/)
-   -   Why can't I smoke the tires? (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/performance-accessories-2nd-gen-only-91/why-cant-i-smoke-tires-293007/)

kerry.king 07-29-2011 09:03 AM

Why can't I smoke the tires?

So last night my Son & I went for a ride after installing a j-hook. He's 5 & wanted me to do a burnout. Well, no dice. Builds boost, rpms come up, blows a ton of smoke, but no tire spin!
She's got a Smarty, Level 7, default settings on tq, timing, duration, fass 95/95, s&b intake, 4" straight pipe, j hook.
Seems like I should have enough power to light them with it bone stock.
Also, trans was built a year ago. Billet tq conv, line psi kit, valve body, all kinds of hardware.
Any ideas?

infidel 07-29-2011 09:58 AM

It's probably because your auto tranny is slipping.

307Kenworth 07-29-2011 10:49 AM

+1 on the auto, everyone asks me why I can not light em up, just tell em it's an auto ha ha

fzr400 07-29-2011 10:55 AM

what is the stall on your billet T/C? hp is built high in the rpm's so a low stall will fully engage to early. if its got lots of boost and smoke means engine is under load so tranny probally is not slipping

Lil Dog 07-29-2011 11:28 AM

The trick is to get the wheels rolling first. So its more of a stomp on it while rolling and then hammering the brakes. If you have the brakes on full hold, it will be hard to break it loose.

If that 75 gallon tanks is full, it will be hard to get them to spin. I can't break my 97 loose very easy either unless its wet pavement as I have a few hundred lbs in equipment and tools in there.

Tate 07-29-2011 12:49 PM

Could be the torque management as well. You can play with that setting in the Smarty, if its still at stockish levels.

Hodge 07-29-2011 01:04 PM

Were your powerbraking? If so, then perhaps the back brakes are grabbing too tight. Mine did that, until I adjusted the shoes.

DIESELWRKS 07-29-2011 01:39 PM

agree,, adjust your TQ mang setting to 6 you do have a built tranny.. set timing to 2-3 try those duration 2..

and I know what ya mean my 5 year old luvs to ride in what he calls the monster truck.. but he says my truck sounds like his school bus.. ha ha

kerry.king 07-29-2011 06:02 PM

Thanks All, I'm glad to know its not just mine doing it. Yeah, I was power braking. I've got discs all the way around, dunno if I can back em off at all.
I'll try adjusting those setting in the smarty. Thanks Dieselwrks.
I had messed with those setting before, but didnt know what i was doing, she didn't run very well. Thats why I set it back to defaults.

Hodge 07-31-2011 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by kerry.king (Post 3000233)
Thanks All, I'm glad to know its not just mine doing it. Yeah, I was power braking. I've got discs all the way around, dunno if I can back em off at all.
I'll try adjusting those setting in the smarty. Thanks Dieselwrks.
I had messed with those setting before, but didnt know what i was doing, she didn't run very well. Thats why I set it back to defaults.

You can't adjust your discs- mine are drums. Still, they will grab if you are powerbraking.

Deezil 08-01-2011 11:49 PM

Build boost, left off the brake and FLOOR it, did a big smokey with mine an hour ago for some rice burner friends, haha

madhat 08-01-2011 11:53 PM

You've got to build boost, let off the brake a little, then get back on it.

Throw a little dirt under the tires, get them going. Once they do... ;)

Deezil 08-01-2011 11:56 PM

I have no explanation for this, but here is my truck last month, haha....

madhat 08-02-2011 12:00 AM

https://www.facebook.com/video/video...51677881520100

kerry.king 08-02-2011 11:43 PM

I'll give it a shot next time I get to drive her. I'm in work truck hell right now. Powersmoke. Ugh. Makes me really appreciate my Cummins.