Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/performance-accessories-2nd-gen-only-91/)
-   -   Whats better? (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/performance-accessories-2nd-gen-only-91/whats-better-117191/)

99blackrig 09-20-2006 09:00 PM

Whats better?

I was looking to upgrade to a htb2 with my current set up. But I know I'm not going to be happy in the long run.
So I started looking at the bd twins for around $2900, which I think is a good price. And then I thought that I could by a mach 6 or 7 and a large turbo for about the same price, and probably have more horsepower. With the last set up I could use the edge for timing and I could turn it up for fun. But with large injectors can you even feel a difference with an edge?

What is a better way to go? Will a big turbo and huge injectors be to laggy? I don't know I'm confused [duhhh] .

blackdiesel 09-20-2006 09:06 PM

well, you've got two different ways to go here (obvisouly [laugh] )

you can run twins and be cooler, but it will be more expensive. less lag, less smoke, and a few more problems. also if you tow, this is the way to go

or you can run a silver bullet 66 from II, and run big sticks (probably mach 4's, MAYBE 5's) You'll have a hair more lag, hair more smoke, and this will be a bolt on and go option. Some say you cant tow with this, some say you can. But i dont think i would recommend it

So tell us what your using your truck for so we can help ya a little more ;) :D

99blackrig 09-20-2006 09:13 PM

It's my daily driver, that I like to beat on. I don't tow.

I just took a drive in a 2006 with crazy larrys and a silver bullet. It smokes a little off the start but as soon as the boost kicks in the tires light up.

Will I have to stud my block whichever way I go?

blackdiesel 09-20-2006 09:31 PM

keep it at or below 42-43 psi and youll be great. Some head gaskets go to 52, and some blow under 45. You could just stud it and hold about 53-54 psi pretty easy.

blackdiesel 09-20-2006 09:39 PM

i think you'd be pleased with a silver bullet with some large mach's and your box. you might even get a 64/14 instead if you want more response. It will be a little hotter, but you will have less lag.

it all boils down to where you want your power. Do you want low end power or top end speed?

99blackrig 09-20-2006 09:39 PM

I was just browsing through old forums. Is there anybody else out there that does twins for $3000.

dieselfan 09-20-2006 09:47 PM

Originally Posted by 99blackrig (Post 1136539)
I was just browsing through old forums. Is there anybody else out there that does twins for $3000.

BD's are the only ones that cheap, but once you factor in the fuel $$$. why dont you do like Blackdiesel is doing, get a ps62 or htt 62, run that for a while then later on get a b2/s400 or whatever. then you will have a killer twin setup. p.s. this what i will be doing eventually. also you could really use a smarty to go along with your setup, it will be day and night!

dieselfan

strokethis600 09-20-2006 09:54 PM

I would probably go with the twins, unless you tow or pull. When i tow with my SPS66 i have to either go 60mph in 5th gear or 80 in 6th. anywhere inbetween it just surges like crazy and runs hot. however you might have more hp with the single and sticks, but more drivability with twins. plus you can say "GOT TWINS?"[guitar]

kelownadiesel 09-21-2006 12:31 AM

I know a guy with a 3rd gen with a sliver bullet,ppe and edge stack.He runs mid 13's with it.He also says it is too laggy to tow with.Doesnt rip sell a twin kit with an S400 that uses the existing 35?I think it is under 3k.Never hear anything bad about rip

99blackrig 09-21-2006 07:05 AM

I really want to demo a smarty, but at this time I think I need to address my egts.
What is rips website?

redstreak 09-21-2006 08:28 AM

WOW - talking a lot of money between injectors, turbos, and getting everything in order to support over 500 ponies. A big single will kick *** on top end but that bottom end getting spooled can be a smoky pain. A good tight twin setup will light fast and hard on the bottom and carry you on into good smooth top end but you gotta pay for two turbos instead of one. The only thing better than one is definitely two.

dieselfan 09-21-2006 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by 99blackrig (Post 1136795)
I really want to demo a smarty, but at this time I think I need to address my egts.
What is rips website?

rips website
www.sourceautomotive.biz