Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/performance-accessories-2nd-gen-only-91/)
-   -   What lineup order for guages? (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/performance-accessories-2nd-gen-only-91/what-lineup-order-guages-42147/)

phox_mulder 04-04-2004 07:37 PM

What lineup order for guages?

Getting my guages installed in just over a week, and want to see what order I should install them in.

Triple A-pillar plus an extra mounting cup that I'll put at the bottom of the pillar by or on the dash.

The guages I have are EGT, Boost, Tranny Temp and Fuel Pressure.

Order would be:

Top of Pillar

Middle of Pillar

Bottom of Pillar

Extra cup at bottom of Pillar.

16 different combinations, too many for a poll.

How do y'all have yours set up?

phox

dodgediesel4x4 04-04-2004 07:41 PM

Top- EGT
Middle- FP
Bottom- Boost

BigBlue 04-04-2004 07:42 PM

Top-Fp
Middle-Boost
Bottom-EGT
Custom mount between speedo and tach-Tranny

wannadiesel 04-04-2004 07:43 PM

Set the pod on the pillar and find which hole requires the least eye/head movement to see when you are looking at the road, then put the EGT in that hole. Other than that, you're on your own.

erics76 04-04-2004 07:48 PM

I run from top to bottom- boost, fuel pressure, egt. My reasoning is that boost should be high because I hardly ever look at it. I put fuel pressure next because it's not something I look at alot like EGT. I check fuel pressure at startup and WOT, but I don't look at it much beyond that. That's why I put egt on bottom. I seem to watch it more, so it's closer to the dash gauges, don't have to look over and up to far to find it quick. With tranny temp, I don't know, I'd say it's more important than boost, so I'd put it at least easier to see than boost. Maybe even more than fuel pressure if you tow alot.

Cummins4Life 04-04-2004 08:13 PM

EGT
Boost
FP--------tranny

GlennRMK 04-04-2004 08:15 PM

I'd go

Boost

Tranny Temp

EGT

Fuel Pressure

dakar 04-04-2004 08:38 PM

Ran mine from top to bottom on the A piller, EGT. Boost, FP. I 6'1" and like to sit very high on the seat, keep the seat cranked all the way up so the EGT is just about level with my eyes quick sideways glance is all it takes, the FP i can see when looking down at the speedo. Wierd but the boost gauge actually takes a little effort so see and focus on being in the middle, but since that's generally the least critical if everything else is okay it works out well for me. Might add a dual Rod's Pod later to include a turbo temp gauge and rear diff temp.

Dave

PHX_ATC 04-04-2004 09:50 PM

Mine EGT, boost, FP

Be different, leave enough wire and hookup stuff dangling around to change them every 2 weeks or so to remind you of what an awesome set of gauges you have and the ordeal and suffering it took to get them here and the pain of waiting to run with them in.

Besides, all your friends will be continually guessing on which gauge will end up where.[laugh]

phox_mulder 04-04-2004 10:02 PM

Originally posted by PHX_ATC
Be different, leave enough wire and hookup stuff dangling around to change them every 2 weeks or so to remind you of what an awesome set of gauges you have and the ordeal and suffering it took to get them here and the pain of waiting to run with them in.

Besides, all your friends will be continually guessing on which gauge will end up where.[laugh]

Once they're in, they're staying in.
Except of course to replace them if and when they go bad.

Sounds like EGT is the absolute most important, watch all the time guage.
To me, Tranny Temp seems like it would be the 2nd "watch all the time" one.
(for us with slushboxes :rolleyes: )

Fuel pressure, casual glance at startup and the occasional WOT run.

Boost, every now and then to make sure something isn't leaking.

Once I get the pillar mount I'll hold it up there
and see where my eye naturally gets drawn to and put the EGT there.
Most likely Tranny Temp in the extra cup.

Boost at the top, Fuel pressure in whatever is left.

Thanx thus far.

phox

Cummins4Life 04-04-2004 11:00 PM

Originally posted by phox_mulder

Boost at the top,

Make sure your kit comes with a long enough boost line or you tap in pretty close to the firewall so it'll reach.

TXRAM2 04-05-2004 06:14 AM

fp
egt
boost

no tranny temp here...just a little ole 5 shot

wayne:D

Tengu 04-05-2004 06:24 AM

Here's my take,

1. Fuel pressure seems to be related directly related to blood pressure, so put it were you can see it only if you look.:(

2. 2. Boost does just that so put it were you can see it. :D

3. EGT moves alot and is fun to watch so also put it were you can see it[laugh]

10HAAP 04-05-2004 08:18 AM

I think we all agree that the EGT guage needs watching the most, but have different ideas on what is most convenient. An aspect not mentioned is "old age eye stuff". I am in my late 40s and find it harder and harder to focus up close without wearing my reader glasses. I can read the lower guage on the A pillar easily, but have some difficulty focusing on the top guage. For that reason I suggest the lower placement for the EGT.

Steve

hellotbone 04-05-2004 08:25 AM

I have a double

Boost

EGT