Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/performance-accessories-2nd-gen-only-91/)
-   -   What Clutch to get (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/performance-accessories-2nd-gen-only-91/what-clutch-get-20086/)

Mopar_Mudder 11-13-2002 11:47 AM

What Clutch to get

Well the new truck should be here before the end of the mounth. And is seems by what I am hearing on here that I will have to change the clutch when I put a Comp on it, which will be as soon as they come out with one. It seems like a shame to pull out a brand new clutch right away :'(<br><br>It seems South Bend is the big name on the boards, I was wondering if anyone runs a Centerforce Dual Friction clutch? I run one of those in my off-road truck what has a 500hp 440 in it and 40&quot; tires. It has always worked great and never slipped. Just was wondering<br><br>Also does changing that clutch do anything to the warrenty on the truck? And does it matter it you do it yourself and not have the dealer do it?

Hired Gun 11-13-2002 07:07 PM

Re:What Clutch to get

I have been talking to BriarHopper. South bend is the way to go. Try Black Mountain Diesel. 859-234-3111 :)

bulthisl 11-13-2002 07:54 PM

I was running a Centerforce and it slipped bad. I was told it would hold 400 HP &amp; 800 ft. lb. I don't think I am at that level yet ;D ( never dynoed ). A couple of weeks ago I spun the center out of the disc [yuk] . I now have a southbend 13 in. con ofe and like it really well so far. I've got a buddie in the same shape with a Centerforce , I'm soon going to Southbend his truck.<br>If you have any questions PM me and I'll help you out if I can.<br><br> : Eddie : 8)

Push Rod 11-13-2002 07:55 PM

Hey Mudder,<br><br>Its not really the horsepower thats an issue, but the torque exerted at low RPMs. The Centreforce plate can't generate enough holding force to avoid slippage on diesel truck, due to the massive torque (in comparison to a gasser) that it generates.<br><br>The South Bend disks have upgraded organics and ferramics, which generate alot of holding power, even with stock pressure plates. For the very high torque crowd (1200 lbft and up), South Bend has switched to a Centreforce plate for high RPM holding power, and he still uses the upgraded materials for low RPM holding force.<br><br>Rod

Mopar_Mudder 11-13-2002 08:07 PM

Thanks for all the good info, good to know<br><br>Question for Bulthisl, was that the dual friction clutch? Centerforce does make 3 stages. Also I know the 5 speed has a smaller clutch then the 6 speed.<br><br>But the sounds of it I will go South Bend, So are most guys just replacing the clutch disc and not the pressure plate? I want the best the first time, I am sick of pulling trannies and want to do this one only one time.

bulthisl 11-13-2002 08:55 PM

Mudder;<br>Yes it was the dual friction.<br>It was the worst $500 I ever wasted.<br>When you replace yours whatever brand you choose you need to replace the disc and pressure plate.<br>They will be a set.<br>Good Luck with youe clutch.<br><br> : Eddie : 8)

59Dsul 11-13-2002 10:26 PM

I have to 2nd Bulthisl's opinion. I've got a dual friction Centerforce. It started slipping badly after about 1.5 months if I turn on the piggyback module. If I don't watch what I'm doing, I can slip it pretty easily anymore with just the Raptor module. My plans are to upgrade this spring to a Mitchell or Enterprise Engine dual disk. Until then I'll try to keep the RPM's up, it seems to help a little.

11-14-2002 06:05 AM

[quote author=Hired Gun link=board=7;threadid=6993;start=0#66419 date=1037236076]
I have been talking to BriarHopper. South bend is the way to go. Try Black Mountain Diesel. 859-234-3111 :)
[/quote]

Ya I got a South Bend OFE clutch installed from Black Mountian Diesel. Been in for about 2 wks now

Bob Beauchaine 11-14-2002 10:04 AM

Southbend is the way to go. Not only are Peters cluthes the best but Peters customer service is head and sholders above the rest. You can easily reach him with any questions and he will work with you to resolve any problems. SBC RULES!<br>Bob :)

Mopar_Mudder 11-14-2002 10:13 AM

At what point is the South Bend not enough? I am thinking I want to be in the 700-800 ft.lb. area when all is said and done.

dodgeman01 11-14-2002 10:23 AM

down with centerforce. &gt;:( &gt;:(<br> What are the prices for different pulling clutches?<br>I got the EE clutch priced for $1,700 that is steep but If I have to pay that much I will. <br>

Push Rod 11-14-2002 10:23 AM

With your 03 6 speed, Mopar, an MU2001 Con OFE would be a good clutch for you. Its good up to 400 HP (~1000 lbft of torque), is as smooth as a stock clutch, and pedal pressure will be the same or lighter than stock.<br><br>If you'll be crawling above the 400 pony mark, the Con FE is what you'll be looking for. These are good to the 550 HP mark (~1300 lbft). Past that, you'll want an MU2001 FEW. The last time I talked to Peter, we didn't have an upper HP limit on these clutches yet.<br><br>Rod

Mopar_Mudder 11-14-2002 12:04 PM

[quote author=Push Rod link=board=7;threadid=6993;start=0#66737 date=1037291023]<br>With your 03 6 speed, Mopar, an MU2001 Con OFE would be a good clutch for you. Its good up to 400 HP (~1000 lbft of torque), is as smooth as a stock clutch, and pedal pressure will be the same or lighter than stock.<br><br>If you'll be crawling above the 400 pony mark, the Con FE is what you'll be looking for. These are good to the 550 HP mark (~1300 lbft). Past that, you'll want an MU2001 FEW. The last time I talked to Peter, we didn't have an upper HP limit on these clutches yet.<br><br>Rod<br>[/quote]<br><br>Thanks for the good info, real #'s that is what I like to see. Looks as though the MU2001 Con OFE would be the good choice although depending on price differnce the Con FE wouldn't hurt.

Mopar_Mudder 11-14-2002 12:14 PM

[laugh] [laugh] [laugh]<br><br>Just had to laugh, you buy a $40,000 truck and you have to turn around right away and through a $1,000 clutch in it, something wrong with that......

yz 11-14-2002 05:10 PM

Yeah know kidding. I think i need your job. ;D -Anthony