Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Used Edge EZ

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2015, 03:34 PM

Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts
Used Edge EZ

Hey guys,
I've got a local guy with an 01 edge EZ for sale rather inexpensive. My plan was to go with an ez and sticks back when. I bought a set of Bosch RV275's but have never installed them.
I checked the edge website and they no longer update or even offer updates to the ez line.
Should I take a chance on this or???

Main concern is my ECM. If it has newer flashes than that box am I throwing money away/?
Old 03-07-2015, 03:52 PM

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts
Mine worked great on the '98.5 for seven yrs.
My friend has had a Van Aaken box w/RV 275's since '99.
It's worked flawless.
Can't speak for the ECM.
Maybe call Edge. They were really friendly and informative way back.
Those sticks are great with a box or Smarty Jr.
Old 03-07-2015, 06:35 PM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
The EZ doesn't flash the ECM it is a plug in pressure box.

The down side is a lot of those old EZ's start to crap out when they get older causing surging issues among other things........there could be a reason he is letting it go cheap.....just saying
Old 03-08-2015, 02:48 PM

Thanks, Larry, that is what I was worried about. Not sure how long something like that lasts. I also have contacted Edge about it.

I may look into the VanAaken, Thanks, Don
Old 03-08-2015, 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by SIXSLUG
Thanks, Larry, that is what I was worried about. Not sure how long something like that lasts. I also have contacted Edge about it.

I may look into the VanAaken, Thanks, Don
I don't think Van Aaken offers anything new for the US market anymore.
Initially,I had their box on my '98.5. Fuel came on a little earlier than the EZ. Should have kept it.
Old 03-09-2015, 03:48 PM

I couldn't find one.....
Old 03-10-2015, 03:17 PM

Received 141 Likes on 107 Posts
I'm confused.....

Edge still offers the EZ and its also a great little addition to the 24 valve. Nice power gains but not outrageous and wont stress the drivetrain, plus it can help add a couple mpg if you can keep your foot out of it. A comparison of how much power would be, the EZ makes as much power as the Comp does until you tap the VP wire with the Comp. Thats how the Comp makes gobs of power.

I've never heard of Edge products being "cheap" in quality but in regards to the evolution of the EZ, there was an older version which has pin's inside the box itself which you manually changed to whatever power setting you chose. Those boxes also have wiring which isnt disconnect-able and also non-repairable. If you have a problem with one its pretty much no good. But.....Edge will contribute a decent amount of money towards a new one or another product they offer.

The newer EZ boxes have remote switched mounted in-cab with a three power choice selections. Although you'll never switching it from the highest setting.

I have the EZ and I love the mild power it offers. GREAT for towing and I also understand that one of the best towing combo's is the EZ and the RV275's. I too plan on some injectors but just havent got around to it. Plus they cost money.....
Old 03-10-2015, 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by KATOOM
I'm confused.....

Edge still offers the EZ and its also a great little addition to the 24 valve. Nice power gains but not outrageous and wont stress the drivetrain, plus it can help add a couple mpg if you can keep your foot out of it. A comparison of how much power would be, the EZ makes as much power as the Comp does until you tap the VP wire with the Comp. Thats how the Comp makes gobs of power.

I've never heard of Edge products being "cheap" in quality but in regards to the evolution of the EZ, there was an older version which has pin's inside the box itself which you manually changed to whatever power setting you chose. Those boxes also have wiring which isnt disconnect-able and also non-repairable. If you have a problem with one its pretty much no good. But.....Edge will contribute a decent amount of money towards a new one or another product they offer.

The newer EZ boxes have remote switched mounted in-cab with a three power choice selections. Although you'll never switching it from the highest setting.

I have the EZ and I love the mild power it offers. GREAT for towing and I also understand that one of the best towing combo's is the EZ and the RV275's. I too plan on some injectors but just havent got around to it. Plus they cost money.....
Yeah,I had the older one as you describe Katoom. It required a separate boost fooler and came with a boost elbow. Great device. Mine was cast in epoxy. Added Mach 1.6 85 hp injectors and that's all she wrote for the trans. DTT to the rescue. That was a quick truck even with the Northstar on. A built auto is sure fun to drive.
Old 03-10-2015, 10:19 PM

I talked to Edge and he said it was an early box according to the s/n.

They still offer the EZ he said, its just called something else. I think Ill pass on it and save a bit for a new one. Occasional towing is all I do so with my other mods already in place I'm good waiting for the new version..

Thanks for the input!
Old 03-10-2015, 10:51 PM

If you can get the used EZ cheap enough, you can just sell it back to Edge for their credit towards another. The difference in profits will help offset the price of the new one.
Old 03-11-2015, 03:28 PM

I may try that.

Thanks, Katoom!
Old 03-12-2015, 09:38 AM

Received 47 Likes on 42 Posts
I had an ez on my 01 which I bought in 2001 (the ez). It did have a boost fooler the only issue I had was I have an automatic which came with the HY turbo and its hardline wastegate so the boost elbow that came with the ez had no place to go. However the fix at that time was the use of a turnbuckle or turnbuckle and spring (some devised other methods such as a small hole drilled into the bottom of a spent 22 cal shell casing and then you placed that inside the hardline it fit just right). If you wanted to change the settings on the ez you had to open up the box and move the jumpers around.
While the hp and timing provided by the box was unchanged regardless of position of the jumpers what did change was the psi at which full fuel was allowed. I don't remember for sure but settings were full fuel at 3 psi, 10 psi and 20psi or something along those lines.

The ez and rv275s are a great combo wakes up the truck nicely and I had no issues with my auto trans either. While I didn't experience any mpg gains I also added a fair amount of weight during that time period, new front DOR bumper, toolbox, headache rack, sidebars, gooseneck hitch etc and didn't loose any mpg.
Old 03-12-2015, 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by BarryG
I had an ez on my 01 which I bought in 2001 (the ez). It did have a boost fooler the only issue I had was I have an automatic which came with the HY turbo and its hardline wastegate so the boost elbow that came with the ez had no place to go. However the fix at that time was the use of a turnbuckle or turnbuckle and spring (some devised other methods such as a small hole drilled into the bottom of a spent 22 cal shell casing and then you placed that inside the hardline it fit just right). If you wanted to change the settings on the ez you had to open up the box and move the jumpers around.
While the hp and timing provided by the box was unchanged regardless of position of the jumpers what did change was the psi at which full fuel was allowed. I don't remember for sure but settings were full fuel at 3 psi, 10 psi and 20psi or something along those lines.

The ez and rv275s are a great combo wakes up the truck nicely and I had no issues with my auto trans either. While I didn't experience any mpg gains I also added a fair amount of weight during that time period, new front DOR bumper, toolbox, headache rack, sidebars, gooseneck hitch etc and didn't loose any mpg.
I think they provided a J-hook back then. That's great you had the built in boost fooler. That sucker was a pain to install. It seems my '98.5 EZ had to have an external one. Too long ago. I needed it with the Van Aaken. Yeah,the box and RV's work super.
Old 03-12-2015, 10:48 AM

I remember running across this chart years ago and it proved informative as a good base for comparison when you feel that the timing/fueling boxes aren't doing anything. TSB
Old 04-04-2015, 01:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
.............I have ran the EZ since 2003 on my 01, 2 mpg improvement.......also added the MBRP 4 in exhaust in 07..........kim..........

Quick Reply: Used Edge EZ