Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Turbonetics vs Garret

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2007, 02:39 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I'd like to think that since my truck is so mild after 5 years that I'm some kind of paragon of self-restraint.

But the truth is that I'm broke, and SWMBO doesn't often give kitchen passes for truck bombs
Old 09-24-2007, 06:51 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If a turbo is engineered correctly it doesn't have to be a bb to spool quickly. In developing our Super B which is based off the switzer S300 we actually got better throttle response over testing the garrett chargers. We are able to support 450-500hp with our Super B and it can also be upgraded into twins down the road if you want. A BB turbo is also VERY expensive to rebuild when they wear out. Have a look at our Super B and if you have any questions feel free to call or pm me.
I'd love to be able to make you eat crow on that comment.I have had a Super B on mine and the spoolup is nowhere near what the Garrett GT37R Stage 3 I have is.My Garrett is lit early,around 1200 rpm and is so fast that the charger is done when the motor wants to pull.When the Super B was on the trucks power came on later since it wasn't lit until 1700 and held a bit longer but the end result in power was less than what the Garrett made.I have now got 20,000+ miles of daily driven street abuse on my GT37R and while it has some top end limitations I dare anyone to out spool it.By the time you are getting your laggy S300 frame chargers lit I will be spooled and gone.

As I have told Hohn and Signature600 in PM's,my only issue with the GT37R is the wall it hits at 500hp to the ground on the street.Garrett claims it will support 600 at the wheels yet they have done little in testing on a diesel to back their claim up.I have tried about all I can to slip it over closer to the 600hp mark utiizing many different sets of injectors,having a new P-Pump built and even went as far to make sure the delivery system was updated with a 150gph FASS to ensure constant pressure.I have had 370's,435's,Diesel Dynamics 3's,two different sets of 5x18's(one standard tipped one extrude honed) and as of this date the best I have wrung out of the charger is 499 at the rear tires.The only difference in those runs were was where the power was made and how much heat was seen.The worst for heat were the extrude hone 5x18's and they were also the worst for power made at 470,made plenty of smoke,plenty of heat and killed the power with the Garrett.All that showed me was it needed more air for them and would make a nice set for twins.

I have beaten,battered,brusied,lifted early in a heavy spoolup and pushed this charger into and above its limits.While some of my friends have had their brand x chargers fail mine has continued on and yet gets no respect.The Garrett is one tough cookie and yet gets little fan fare due to its cost,which I feel is no worse than others.So Mr.Stewart I am not sure how or where you did your test but I am at a loss how you could make such a comment.Rebuilding costs on a dual BB are no greater than rebuilding a S300 as I did extensive research before making my purchase.

The Garrett is a great charger for the owner who wants one........Andy
Old 09-24-2007, 06:56 AM

lol! credit cards are already finished long ago!, I actually farm by Edmonton Alberta, you tend to accumulate vehicles out on the ranch an thats how im financing this lil venture, sellin em all, payin off some debts an buildin somethin ive dreamt about for years.
Old 09-24-2007, 07:05 AM

Wicked post Andy, thanks, im for sure gonna seriously consider the garret now.
Old 09-24-2007, 07:20 AM

Good Post Andy...Garrett is as bad as BD about their power claims...600RWHP, sure, on a CR maybe, even a VP motor would get closer...but the airflow limitations of a 12v isn't going to allow it without extensive work!

I should have let you know...why my truck was down, you should've borrowed my charger
Chris
Old 09-24-2007, 08:36 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Hammer
I'd love to be able to make you eat crow on that comment.I have had a Super B on mine and the spoolup is nowhere near what the Garrett GT37R Stage 3 I have is........ When the Super B was on the trucks power came on later since it wasn't lit until 1700 and held a bit longer but the end result in power was less than what the Garrett made.
I have know 2 members that were unhappy with Super B's, due to lag...... and both had manual trannys with larger turbine housings on them. My twins have the Super B on top and spool (so I'm told by HX-35 drivers) as fast as the stock HX-35!

RJ
Old 09-24-2007, 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by RowJ
I have know 2 members that were unhappy with Super B's, due to lag...... and both had manual trannys with larger turbine housings on them. My twins have the Super B on top and spool (so I'm told by HX-35 drivers) as fast as the stock HX-35!

RJ
I was happy with the Super B, and Super B Twins on my manual trannied 12v...and those twins of yours ran better than mine

Chris
Old 09-24-2007, 10:08 AM

Chris,
Did not realize, till just looked at the BD website.... they have a Super B (400+ hp) and a Super B Special (for 500+ hp).
'Special' must be a larger turbine housing, I guess??

RJ
Old 09-24-2007, 11:03 AM

They claim 80 lbs a min with the super b special so its got to be more than just a housing. Dunno the specifics.
Old 09-24-2007, 03:48 PM

Andy's experience with the Garrett was the main thing the piqued my interest in it, aside from my endless search for the "better way" that I believe always exists.

At this point the ONLY thing holding me back from a Garrett is how exactly I'd integrate it into possible twins later. I know that the Garretts are wastegated internally, but I highly doubt this gate flows enough for use in twins.

The fact that the Garretts are the Rodney Dangerfield of diesel turbos baffles me. I suspect it has a lot to do with the "herd mentality" so prevalent in groups--and internet forums are not exempt.

Given the fueling limits of my HO, I may never need to twin the Garrett, as it's hard enough to get an HO to 500hp.

I wonder if this thing could make 500 on a 24V. No doubt Andy has plenty of fuel on his 12V, so it may be just be an issue of not moving the air? Maybe it's not the headflow, and it's just the turbo isn't quite big enough?

Anyway, since this turbo has essentially NO lag and will support honestly 450hp, it could be a great towing/medium performance charger.

Big thanks to Andy for sharing his experience with this charger. Lord knows if it wasn't for him, we'd probably know almost nothing about it.

That fact says a lot about human nature, doesn't it?

JMO
Old 09-24-2007, 03:58 PM

It just happens that 500hp needs right around 67lb/min-- and if you look at the map of the stg3 Garrett, you can see you're almost off the map entirely at this point (given the high boost levels).

How Garrett figures this thing can support 600hp is beyond me. I figure 600hp needs about 82lb/min under almost ideal circumstances-- and this is at least 10lb/min more than the farthest righthand point of the Garrett's map. 600hp is wishful dreaming and nothing more, imo.

jh
Old 09-24-2007, 04:02 PM

Gasser talk??

Chris
Old 09-25-2007, 01:33 AM

Could be.

The air goes a LOT farther with an AFR of 12.5:1 than with 22:1. The better BSFC of the diesel can't offset that much of a difference.
Old 09-25-2007, 08:17 AM

Hohn? you wouldnt by chance know what the turbonetics stg2 and 3 flow would ya, dont think im goin with twins yet, to much kaching for now, but would like to get a BB that will work well for them later on
Old 09-25-2007, 08:49 AM

HOHN that is why I went against everybody telling me that the Edge BB (t-netics) was junk. Got a few pm's and replies from people that had the Edge BB's and really liked them. So it was decided and is going to be used as top turbo with s400 on the bottom. Curious as to what boost can be made.

Quick Reply: Turbonetics vs Garret