Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

TST/Smarty issue

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2007, 01:10 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
dyno reads true MPH, our trucks ecm only reads the mph as it comes from the abs sensor...bigger tires will throw your speedo off enough that 132mph is prolly real close 117 on the speedo.
Old 04-25-2007, 01:40 PM
Banned

i have the complete oposite of you guys with my smarty. pulls hard through every gear till 3650 to 3700 rpms then thifts. no defueling here but then again i only have 85% throttle on any smarty levels past sw3. i thought that everyone made the highest hp on level 3 anyways?
Old 04-25-2007, 01:51 PM
Banned

i hate level 3 for street driving. level 9 on the street, something less when i pull or dyno. gonna try 3 next time.

the silver bullet becomes laggy when the smarty is on level 3, wouldnt be a problem when pulling or dynoing tho.
Old 04-25-2007, 03:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Mike D
That's because #3 program is a non-smarty program and still has the defuel in the program. All the Smarty programs 4-9, have no defuel.
I've been able to use with #3, but my '99 doesn't have the defuel like the 01-02.
Mike, My understanding was that installing basic Smarty into ECM (with latest Dodge Software) eliminated defueling??

You comments got me curious and I needed to make a trip into town anyway so I played a little. In third gear (Smarty on #3, TST on #3) my CTD pulled steady to 3200 rpm???? (all I had room for)

Maybe my TST Comp is voiding the defueling? Guess I need to try it with TST off, to be sure. What level do the standard TST's defuel? Can't remember.

RJ
Old 04-25-2007, 05:17 PM
Registered

back in the day i hit ~125 on the speedo. (sorry i cant give an exact figure, i was to busy watching the ROAD)
Old 04-25-2007, 06:16 PM
Chapter President

Originally Posted by RowJ
Mike, My understanding was that installing basic Smarty into ECM (with latest Dodge Software) eliminated defueling??

You comments got me curious and I needed to make a trip into town anyway so I played a little. In third gear (Smarty on #3, TST on #3) my CTD pulled steady to 3200 rpm???? (all I had room for)

Maybe my TST Comp is voiding the defueling? Guess I need to try it with TST off, to be sure. What level do the standard TST's defuel? Can't remember.

RJ
Rowland, You might be correct. Bob W. told me that only the Smarty softwares took care of the defuel. I had no way to verify this as I've never had to contend with the defueling/torque management issue. With regards to the TST defueling, I've never felt any defueling at the track. My truck shifts at 3200 rpm without a hitch. I've been contemplating getting the competition upgrade in the near future.

Edit: Can you still build boost at the line using #3 without torque management kicking in?
Old 04-25-2007, 07:21 PM

I'm going to take the smarty off and see what happens
Old 04-25-2007, 07:31 PM
Banned

what years did they start the torque managment and defueling? i no with just my TST and no smarty, it will still shift at 3300 to 3400 everytime.
Old 04-25-2007, 07:32 PM
Banned

I can definately build boost at the line with smarty on 3. Even with the smarty on stock I can still build boost with ease.
Old 04-25-2007, 07:39 PM
Banned

yeah same here. even if i put everything to stock i can still build as much boost as i want.

i thought that torque managment started with the 03 common rails
Old 04-25-2007, 07:53 PM

Since we're talking about RPM's and TST stuff, here's a question that has been bothering me for some time. Where does the TST box pull a measurement of the engine RPM?? It's connected to the IP with a wire tap, has a ground connection and a MAP connection. For the purpose of the anti-defuel in the TST Comp, how does the box know what RPM you're at or does it at all?? or is it just pulling the fuel signal from the wire-tap and judging by that voltage how much fuel to add??

On the subject, I have a TST Competition stacked with a Smarty and injectors and have never noticed a defuel... nor did I notice it before the TST or when I turn the TST off. I typically run with the Smarty on SW#5 with the TST either off or on 4. I can pull all the way to 3500+ with no issues...
Old 04-25-2007, 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by graphitecumnz
Since we're talking about RPM's and TST stuff, here's a question that has been bothering me for some time. Where does the TST box pull a measurement of the engine RPM?? It's connected to the IP with a wire tap, has a ground connection and a MAP connection. For the purpose of the anti-defuel in the TST Comp, how does the box know what RPM you're at or does it at all?? or is it just pulling the fuel signal from the wire-tap and judging by that voltage how much fuel to add??

On the subject, I have a TST Competition stacked with a Smarty and injectors and have never noticed a defuel... nor did I notice it before the TST or when I turn the TST off. I typically run with the Smarty on SW#5 with the TST either off or on 4. I can pull all the way to 3500+ with no issues...
that is a good question. It seems that I am the only one that can feel my truck defueling. I can get it to pull to 3500+rpm, just it really stops pulling hard after 2700rpm
Old 04-25-2007, 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by graphitecumnz
Since we're talking about RPM's and TST stuff, here's a question that has been bothering me for some time. Where does the TST box pull a measurement of the engine RPM??
That is pretty easy to answer. They can calculate RPM directly off of the injector pump. They are watching the solenoid and it is really easy to count and calculate RPM off of that.

Now with that said I am not sure that they watch it. From my testing they pretty much base everything off of boost.
Old 04-26-2007, 12:14 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Rodram2002
that is a good question. It seems that I am the only one that can feel my truck defueling. I can get it to pull to 3500+rpm, just it really stops pulling hard after 2700rpm
Better than me. I can hit a max of 3100rpm but it's not pulling at that point. Just revving.
Old 04-26-2007, 01:31 AM

Peak power is going to be made at under 3K rpms on most trucks. One of the few exceptions I've seen is Doug Smith's 832 dyno graph because power never peaked- it just kept pulling harder and harder through the rpms. You can look st his graph's on f-1's page. You'll notice that even on his truck some of the graphs show a drop off after 2700 rpms.

My point being that just because power is decreasing later in the rpms after peak power has been made doesn't necessarily mean your truck is defueling. My tst/ smarty stack will pull hard past redline, but if I'm wfo I do feel power drop off in the higher rpms.

Quick Reply: TST/Smarty issue