Timming adjustment - Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums



Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Timming adjustment

Reply
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-24-2017, 11:06 PM   #1  
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 15
Timing adjustment

Hello, Does anyone know who can/will adjust timing on my truck near Sacramento? Also what does it normally cost? I have called a couple shops in Sac some said they don't do it and another never returned my call after they said they will call me back with a price. My truck is a 1996 dodge 5 speed 2wd I would like to go to 14.5. Mods are 4" exhaust, intake, #10 plate and 188/208 Hamilton cam. Thanks
Placerkeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2017, 09:56 AM   #2  
Registered User
 
johnh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: lyman, utah
Posts: 3,981
Quote:
Originally Posted by Placerkeith View Post
Hello, Does anyone know who can/will adjust timing on my truck near Sacramento? Also what does it normally cost? I have called a couple shops in Sac some said they don't do it and another never returned my call after they said they will call me back with a price. My truck is a 1996 dodge 5 speed 2wd I would like to go to 14.5. Mods are 4" exhaust, intake, #10 plate and 188/208 Hamilton cam. Thanks
why do you think it's needing adjustment??
johnh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2017, 10:41 AM   #3  
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnh View Post
why do you think it's needing adjustment??
I did the camshaft and tappets recently, and I want to make sure I got the timing right. While being checked I would like to bump up from12.5 factory to 14.5.
Placerkeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2017, 02:12 PM   #4  
Registered User
 
johnh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: lyman, utah
Posts: 3,981
Quote:
Originally Posted by Placerkeith View Post
I did the camshaft and tappets recently, and I want to make sure I got the timing right. While being checked I would like to bump up from12.5 factory to 14.5.
do it yourself, here's the instructions:
Timing in 40 minutes (12 valve, 2nd gen engine) - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
johnh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 02:29 PM   #5  
Registered User
 
Rockyhud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Just outside Falcon, CO
Posts: 207
I recently discovered what appears to be the easiest way to adjust the static timing on our p-pump engines. The $75 kit contains a magnetic timing wheel, that you place on the harmonic dampener, and a p-pump gear puller. The only special "tool" the user must provide is a wire that's used as a pointer for the timing wheel.

Watch the video to see how these are used, along with the process of adjusting timing. This process doesn't require any other special tools and looks to be as easy as it gets while still providing the accuracy we're looking for. I haven't bought this yet but plan to a little later this year.
https://powerdrivendiesel.com/produc...mp-timing-kit/
Rockyhud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 06:29 PM   #6  
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockyhud View Post
I recently discovered what appears to be the easiest way to adjust the static timing on our p-pump engines. The $75 kit contains a magnetic timing wheel, that you place on the harmonic dampener, and a p-pump gear puller. The only special "tool" the user must provide is a wire that's used as a pointer for the timing wheel.

Watch the video to see how these are used, along with the process of adjusting timing. This process doesn't require any other special tools and looks to be as easy as it gets while still providing the accuracy we're looking for. I haven't bought this yet but plan to a little later this year.
https://powerdrivendiesel.com/produc...mp-timing-kit/
ok I will look into it. Thanks
Placerkeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 08:00 AM   #7  
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: SE Oklahoma
Posts: 99
This is the best thread Iíve seen about setting your timing by the crankshaft damper

DIY- 1994 P-Pump Timing Off The Crankshaft Dampener - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
honobiahunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 08:15 AM   #8  
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by honobiahunter View Post
This is the best thread Iíve seen about setting your timing by the crankshaft damper

DIY- 1994 P-Pump Timing Off The Crankshaft Dampener - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
Thanks, that perfect.
Placerkeith is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
its time for timming dodgeman01 Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only 17 01-18-2004 11:10 AM
diesel timming blackjack General Diesel Discussion 12 12-10-2003 04:16 PM
timming bcmopar1 12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain 3 11-06-2003 08:35 AM
how much timming gunracer1 Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only 3 03-17-2003 01:01 PM
TIMMING 24 VALVE CTD. CWICKHAM 24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain 4 12-07-2002 12:51 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:43 AM.


Copyright 2017, DieselTruckResource.com
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.