Timming adjustment - Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Timming adjustment

Old 12-24-2017, 11:06 PM   #1  

Timing adjustment

Hello, Does anyone know who can/will adjust timing on my truck near Sacramento? Also what does it normally cost? I have called a couple shops in Sac some said they don't do it and another never returned my call after they said they will call me back with a price. My truck is a 1996 dodge 5 speed 2wd I would like to go to 14.5. Mods are 4" exhaust, intake, #10 plate and 188/208 Hamilton cam. Thanks
Placerkeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2017, 09:56 AM   #2  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Placerkeith View Post
Hello, Does anyone know who can/will adjust timing on my truck near Sacramento? Also what does it normally cost? I have called a couple shops in Sac some said they don't do it and another never returned my call after they said they will call me back with a price. My truck is a 1996 dodge 5 speed 2wd I would like to go to 14.5. Mods are 4" exhaust, intake, #10 plate and 188/208 Hamilton cam. Thanks
why do you think it's needing adjustment??
johnh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2017, 10:41 AM   #3  

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnh View Post
why do you think it's needing adjustment??
I did the camshaft and tappets recently, and I want to make sure I got the timing right. While being checked I would like to bump up from12.5 factory to 14.5.
Old 12-25-2017, 02:12 PM   #4  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Placerkeith View Post
I did the camshaft and tappets recently, and I want to make sure I got the timing right. While being checked I would like to bump up from12.5 factory to 14.5.
do it yourself, here's the instructions:
Timing in 40 minutes (12 valve, 2nd gen engine) - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
johnh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 02:29 PM   #5  

I recently discovered what appears to be the easiest way to adjust the static timing on our p-pump engines. The $75 kit contains a magnetic timing wheel, that you place on the harmonic dampener, and a p-pump gear puller. The only special "tool" the user must provide is a wire that's used as a pointer for the timing wheel.

Watch the video to see how these are used, along with the process of adjusting timing. This process doesn't require any other special tools and looks to be as easy as it gets while still providing the accuracy we're looking for. I haven't bought this yet but plan to a little later this year.
https://powerdrivendiesel.com/produc...mp-timing-kit/
Rockyhud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 06:29 PM   #6  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockyhud View Post
I recently discovered what appears to be the easiest way to adjust the static timing on our p-pump engines. The $75 kit contains a magnetic timing wheel, that you place on the harmonic dampener, and a p-pump gear puller. The only special "tool" the user must provide is a wire that's used as a pointer for the timing wheel.

Watch the video to see how these are used, along with the process of adjusting timing. This process doesn't require any other special tools and looks to be as easy as it gets while still providing the accuracy we're looking for. I haven't bought this yet but plan to a little later this year.
https://powerdrivendiesel.com/produc...mp-timing-kit/
ok I will look into it. Thanks
Old 01-09-2018, 08:00 AM   #7  

This is the best thread Iíve seen about setting your timing by the crankshaft damper

DIY- 1994 P-Pump Timing Off The Crankshaft Dampener - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
honobiahunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 08:15 AM   #8  

Quote:
Originally Posted by honobiahunter View Post
This is the best thread Iíve seen about setting your timing by the crankshaft damper

DIY- 1994 P-Pump Timing Off The Crankshaft Dampener - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
Thanks, that perfect.